Lifting belt

Hi,
Im looking at getting myself a lifting belt, as i do a lot of compound lifts, like deads and squats. Ive been looking but there are so many different types, different thicknesses etc. What would be a good one to get?
Thanks,
Ste

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    edited July 2018
    Are you going to compete at any point? If you are, you want a belt that is going to meet your federation requirements. Learned that the hard way.

The amount of room between your hips bones and bottom ribs is a factor. My belt hits both my hip bones and my bottom ribs and causes bruises. I deal with it, but you might not want to.

Money is always a factor. I have an SBD lever belt now and it is AWESOME and EXPENSIVE.

If you're just using a belt for casual lifting, I had this one. It did it's job...

https://www.amazon.com/MRX-BOXING-FITNESS-Bodybuilding-Training/dp/B0199P0V6E/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1530549032&sr=8-4&keywords=weight+lifting+belt+purple
  • quiksylver296

My feelings are hurt. ;)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member

My feelings are hurt. ;)
    sardelsa wrote: »

My feelings are hurt. ;)

I am 100% the last person to ask about lifting belts :o . I don't use one and I don't know anything about them! I will stick around this thread to learn more though

Beg pardon, humbly. I shall make a note in my helpful journal.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    :*

My feelings are hurt. ;)

I am 100% the last person to ask about lifting belts :o . I don't use one and I don't know anything about them! I will stick around this thread to learn more though

I'm right there with you! No belt for me either. Kisses @quiksylver296 <3
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    After a lower back injury I decided I wanted to get one as well. Did a little bit of research and settled on this one from Schiek, which I have been very happy with in the 18+ months since purchase.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BE58P0M/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To @quiksylver296's point, I have no idea if it's federation approved but I'm not looking to compete, at least not anytime soon.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited July 2018
    I have this one and I'm very happy with it. It does hit both hip and ribs, but I'm pretty short.

https://www.amazon.com/Lifting-Iron-Support-Leather-Multiple/dp/B016RAMIUQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1530551508&amp;sr=8-1&amp;keywords=dark+iron+fitness+lifting+belt&amp;th=1&amp;psc=1

Dark Iron Fitness has the best customer service I've ever seen from any company. And after buying my belt from them, I've gotten a free dip belt and lifting straps from them just for leaving a review.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    How do you know when you need a belt ? I don't compete and I typically do higher reps and don't lift near my 1RM. I also don't really squat but at some point I hope that will change.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    How do you know when you need a belt ? I don't compete and I typically do higher reps and don't lift near my 1RM. I also don't really squat but at some point I hope that will change.

I think - and this is my mindset - that you will need a belt when you start lifting consistently heavy. And, heavy will mean something different for all of us. So, when you are doing the 3-rep sets....or lower....you would likely want to be using a belt. The 5-rep sets, maybe. Possibly.

But, everyone is different. And, heavy will be different for all of us, too.

All of this goes out the window if someone has lower back issues. Then a belt is likely always a good idea (for the added abdominal tightness....well, you know what I mean).
  • stej5639
    stej5639 Posts: 57 Member
    Thanks for all the replies. Im not lifting to compete, just feel that im lifting a lot more now, so want to keep good form but push myself to lift more. Im a manual worker and back injuries are common in my job so the more i can do to prevent this the better. Id say im lifting heavy now, for me anyway, compared to what i started lifting. Currently doing SL5x5 so adding 2.5 kg per session gets hard after a while haha. Thanks for all the advice here. Ill definitely look into the recommendations.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member

I throw on my belt when I get over 85% of my 1RM.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member

I think - and this is my mindset - that you will need a belt when you start lifting consistently heavy. And, heavy will mean something different for all of us. So, when you are doing the 3-rep sets....or lower....you would likely want to be using a belt. The 5-rep sets, maybe. Possibly.

All of this goes out the window if someone has lower back issues. Then a belt is likely always a good idea (for the added abdominal tightness....well, you know what I mean).

All of my maxes are beltless. Hmm...
  • steveko89
    I lifted beltless for about 18 months, about the time my squat and deadlift crept up to 300 lbs was about the time I starting having lower back pain. MRI showed L4-L5 facet arthritis so I took a month off, pain went away, bought a belt and keep reps <5/set and for those lifts and haven't had an issue since; knock on wood.
  • quiksylver296

It's more to "remind" you to engage your core, than to do any supporting itself. I found my squats improved greatly when I added a belt to the mix.
  • steveko89

It's more to "remind" you to engage your core, than to do any supporting itself. I found my squats improved greatly when I added a belt to the mix.

^^^ Agree with this and should've clarified in my previous post. The belt helps/forces me to lift with better form which protects my lower back. A lack of focus on form and getting caught up in chasing bigger numbers is what really got me in trouble.
  • BNY721
    BNY721 Posts: 125 Member
    I use the Sheick brand and haven’t had any issues with mine.
  • Muscle_for_Fitness
    Muscle_for_Fitness Posts: 2,198 Member
    I typically won't use one unless I am over 80% of 1RM. The one I have used recently is

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-Team-Fit-Weightlifting-Olympic/dp/B07CGBB6S2?pd_rd_wg=2K1c1&pd_rd_r=68ac7622-0a99-47cb-8cbf-d660ffbc909b&pd_rd_w=gukmY&ref_=pd_gw_simh&pf_rd_r=XPC1TGNP5Z0XK14TMBKS&pf_rd_p=b841581f-e864-5164-afa6-4c18a8348879

A belt should be used to brace the core into. Most beginners really shouldn't use a belt so that they can learn to brace the core properly first without a belt and develop more core strength.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105

All of my maxes are beltless. Hmm...

Mine, as well! And I have tried to use a belt....with both Squats and Dead Lifts! Just can not do it! But, I am "off" so that does not surprise me. :-)
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    steveko89 wrote: »

^^^ Agree with this and should've clarified in my previous post. The belt helps/forces me to lift with better form which protects my lower back. A lack of focus on form and getting caught up in chasing bigger numbers is what really got me in trouble.

AMEN, brother! A big AMEN to that!