What nobody tells you about losing weight

Replies

• Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member

The forearm hack does not work for me. But if I open my fist and stick out my fingers it is a match though.

Yes I have had to open my fist with fingers curled before. Depending on the fit.

VUA21 wrote: »
    ryenday wrote: »

Not Universal, unfortunately. Way off for my pants. That is far too big for my waist and too tight ( even for stretch material) for my hips.

Try on JLo brand. I'm Latina and have the same issue - itty bitty waist, big butt. They are cut for more room on the butt and a narrower waist (I can usually find them at Kohl's so they are not expensive). Also, I reaort to a size up in "midrise" that tend to sit on my hips.

Is the fist going in the waist line or just forear to elbow? Also I feel like there would be a different between high rise, mid rise and low rise too.

Yes. back of knuckles to back of elbow slides into the waist band of the pants. I'm not sure if there is a difference between different rises or not. It's just kind of a general thing I use if I'm too lazy to grab a bunch of sizes to try on. Or if I want to buy them and try them on at home. It kind of gives me a starting point. If I can stick my forearm & fist in it, it is likely I can get the pants on. Whether or not they will fit properly or if they will look good is a different story. I guess I got my answer that it's not very universal though! Another check I didn't even think about until just now is to take the thigh part and wrap around my thigh in the store.I don't always do this, it depends on the pants. But I have historically had to fit the thighs first, waist second. So I look for stretch denim, and "Curvy fit" as automatic go to's. Sadly my favorite place to buy them (Vanity) went out of business.

• RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member

The forearm hack does not work for me. But if I open my fist and stick out my fingers it is a match though.

Yes I have had to open my fist with fingers curled before. Depending on the fit.

Not Universal, unfortunately. Way off for my pants. That is far too big for my waist and too tight ( even for stretch material) for my hips.

Try on JLo brand. I'm Latina and have the same issue - itty bitty waist, big butt. They are cut for more room on the butt and a narrower waist (I can usually find them at Kohl's so they are not expensive). Also, I reaort to a size up in "midrise" that tend to sit on my hips.

Is the fist going in the waist line or just forear to elbow? Also I feel like there would be a different between high rise, mid rise and low rise too.

Yes. back of knuckles to back of elbow slides into the waist band of the pants. I'm not sure if there is a difference between different rises or not. It's just kind of a general thing I use if I'm too lazy to grab a bunch of sizes to try on. Or if I want to buy them and try them on at home. It kind of gives me a starting point. If I can stick my forearm & fist in it, it is likely I can get the pants on. Whether or not they will fit properly or if they will look good is a different story. I guess I got my answer that it's not very universal though! Another check I didn't even think about until just now is to take the thigh part and wrap around my thigh in the store.I don't always do this, it depends on the pants. But I have historically had to fit the thighs first, waist second. So I look for stretch denim, and "Curvy fit" as automatic go to's. Sadly my favorite place to buy them (Vanity) went out of business.

Wow according to this apparently I have giant arms😂😂?? Because I definitely can't fit my arm from knuckles to elbow in. Its more like elbow to a bit more than wrist.

I am quite pear shaped because my hips usually are at least one size bigger than my waist, so I search for super super strechy shorts or ones that are quite tapered. Definitely will check out the JLo brand!
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member

Yes. back of knuckles to back of elbow slides into the waist band of the pants. I'm not sure if there is a difference between different rises or not. It's just kind of a general thing I use if I'm too lazy to grab a bunch of sizes to try on. Or if I want to buy them and try them on at home. It kind of gives me a starting point. If I can stick my forearm & fist in it, it is likely I can get the pants on. Whether or not they will fit properly or if they will look good is a different story. I guess I got my answer that it's not very universal though! Another check I didn't even think about until just now is to take the thigh part and wrap around my thigh in the store. I don't always do this, it depends on the pants. But I have historically had to fit the thighs first, waist second. So I look for stretch denim, and "Curvy fit" as automatic go to's. Sadly my favorite place to buy them (Vanity) went out of business.

Wow according to this apparently I have giant arms😂😂?? Because I definitely can't fit my arm from knuckles to elbow in. Its more like elbow to a bit more than wrist.

I am quite pear shaped because my hips usually are at least one size bigger than my waist, so I search for super super strechy shorts or ones that are quite tapered. Definitely will check out the JLo brand!

I'm sure you don't actually have giant arms! :lol: I hope you don't really feel that way! Now I know I'm the wierdo and it works for me personally. :tongue:
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    edited July 2018
    OHammykins wrote: »
    hipari wrote: »
    I have these stretchy shorts I wear under skirts and dresses to prevent chub rub, creeps and wardrobe malfunctions. Of those three, chub rub is thankfully the most pressing issue. Lately, the shorts have been riding up because my thighs are smaller, and the shorts themselves are now starting to contribute to chub rub. Might be time for some smaller shorts.

Where did you get these shorts?? I'd love to wear more dresses but the chub rub is real!!

I bought these thigh bands off amazon that are pretty cool and work pretty well (though I don't wear a lot of dresses so YMMV, of course). In fact, I'm hoping to one day feel comfortable wearing a dress, but I gotta stop hating on my legs first, lol. Anyway, they're lacy/black, so kinda pretty. I can't wait to lose more in my thighs. XD
  • OHammykins
    OHammykins Posts: 98 Member
    @GOT_Obsessed @hipari & @ryenday Thank you for all the advice! I'm in Ireland so no Walmart etc. for me but I'll definitely start looking at cycling shorts and men's boxers :-D
  • OHammykins
    OHammykins Posts: 98 Member
    I bought these thigh bands off amazon that are pretty cool and work pretty well (though I don't wear a lot of dresses so YMMV, of course). In fact, I'm hoping to one day feel comfortable wearing a dress, but I gotta stop hating on my legs first, lol. Anyway, they're lacy/black, so kinda pretty. I can't wait to lose more in my thighs. XD

I think I saw them advertised before actually but doubted if they worked or not, another think to add to my Amazon shopping basket perhaps :-)

• dhiammarath
    @OHammykins I put them on and they worked for me. Now, I did not use them all day, granted, so I don't have the "all day use" metrics to give. But they fit and they stayed up for the short time I wore them!
  • dhiammarath
    JennMairi wrote: »
    deviette wrote: »

I think I saw them advertised before actually but doubted if they worked or not, another think to add to my Amazon shopping basket perhaps :-)

These are called bandelettes and they are amazing! I've got naturally big thighs, even when I was smaller, and chub rub has often been a problem. I got a pair a couple of years ago and have worn them a reasonable amount, and they're so very very good. Seriously, I can't recommend them enough.

I would recommend the plain ones not the lacy ones - the plain ones work great so long as you get the sizing right but with the lacy ones I just got chafed in the pattern of the lace 😅

Whups, I didn't think about that. XD So far, I've not used them for any significant amount of time (too scared of dresses and feeling like my legs are gross). I will get some of the plain ones, too. XD
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    JennMairi wrote: »
    deviette wrote: »

These are called bandelettes and they are amazing! I've got naturally big thighs, even when I was smaller, and chub rub has often been a problem. I got a pair a couple of years ago and have worn them a reasonable amount, and they're so very very good. Seriously, I can't recommend them enough.

I would recommend the plain ones not the lacy ones - the plain ones work great so long as you get the sizing right but with the lacy ones I just got chafed in the pattern of the lace 😅

Huh, I've got the lacy ones and I've never had this problem. Different legs I suppose :neutral:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!