Tips for gaining weight

I'm a 21 year old female, 5'3 120lbs and I've been weight training pretty consistently for about 2.5 years. I've been actively trying to bulk for the last 3 years because I've been trying to significantly build up muscle mass but so far I've only gained 9lbs. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to gain weight faster. I'm already eating about 2500 calories a day and I have a really hard time eating more without feeling sick.

I also have a really hard time seeing my body gain fat even though I know it is unavoidable in order to gain muscle in this way, so I'd appreciate any tips for the mental aspect aswell.

Replies

• mrdowell2017
    mrdowell2017 Posts: 53 Member
    u shud get about 2grams of protein per kg of body weight and double in carbs steady increase ur caloiries each week until the scales start going up try and get 6 to 7 meals in a day or sup some with shakes
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Considering she actually has a hard time feeling too full, I would advise to up her fats ^^^
  • nmh97
    nmh97 Posts: 3 Member
    u shud get about 2grams of protein per kg of body weight and double in carbs steady increase ur caloiries each week until the scales start going up try and get 6 to 7 meals in a day or sup some with shakes

I usually get about 1.8g of protein per kg. I might need more but I don't eat a lot of meat so it's hard to get it all in sometimes. I usually don't eat a lot of meals in the day because it makes me sick when I eat too early in the morning so I unintentionally intermittent fast but I make sure I eat a lot later on to make up for it.
  • nmh97
    nmh97 Posts: 3 Member
    Considering she actually has a hard time feeling too full, I would advise to up her fats ^^^

I was eating a very high fat diet a couple years ago, basically fast food for every meal, and I actually lost about 5lbs
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    nmh97 wrote: »

I was eating a very high fat diet a couple years ago, basically fast food for every meal, and I actually lost about 5lbs

That’s what a deficit does. Has nothing to do with the fact you were eating a high fat diet, but considering fat is 2x the calories, it’s easier to pick in more calories with less volume compared to other macros

• fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    nmh97 wrote: »

Caloric deficit was the reason you lost weight.
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Drinking your calories can help when feeling full is an issue.
  • zeldapeters73
    zeldapeters73 Posts: 4 Member
    I at one time had a hard time gaining weight as well but Im currently eating 4800 - 5000 calories a day, 5'9 215lbs medium frame but I hate my stomach and look pregnant!! I asked my Dr for a tummy tuck and it was a quick NO due to my anemia. Every since I stopped drinking I eat all the time and drink Frappe, Ensure and shakes on top of all my food.
  • Rich_Fit_55
    Rich_Fit_55 Posts: 4 Member
    I’m in the same boat. I’m 5’10, 144 lbs. I know I need to achieve a calorie surplus of 3500 cal per week to gain one pound. I track all my meals, 6 per day including protein shakes, and I track all my workout and other activities calorie expenditures to try to make sure I reach it. That’s 3,000 cal per day. But My stomach is so full all the time I usually only reach the break even point and end up staying at the same weight. It’s very frustrating indeed!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    How much cardio do you do OP?

I would suggest if you do a lot, to do less, then you can be in a surplus eating less. Also agree with upping fats and drinking cals. You can add oil to soups, sauces, drinks with a lot of calories for very little volume. Opt for full fat versions of foods (milk, cheese, salad dressings, etc). put peanut butter on things you already eat, etc.