Good source of protein ideas?

Replies

• FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    duskyjewel wrote: »
    How do you feel about sashimi? There is a grocery store near me that has fresh made carry out sushi that is amazing and affordable. They also sometimes have sashimi trays, which is just the raw fish slices without rice, and they will make you things upon request if you have a few minutes to wait. Five ounces of raw salmon contains 30 g protein, I imagine sashimi grade tuna is similar. Maybe if you had some of that in the fridge waiting for you.... Fresh raw fish doesn't smell offensive at all. I get myself a favorite roll or combo tray a couple times a month as a treat, and if you don't mind the carbs from the rice, nigiri is just plain sliced fish on rice planks, or you could get a roll and get all the wonderful nutrients from the rice, seaweed and other veggies along with your protein and still make it a quick meal.

I love sashimi and sushi! But it's too expensive for me. My local grocery store makes them up for you too but it's like $12 for one meal. I would love to learn how to make it myself but fish is still pretty pricy 🙁.
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    Ruatine wrote: »
    AJB1014 wrote: »
    I have the exact same issue - need a ton of protein in the afternoon and was miserable with my shake!

I started having a sunkist tuna creations packet. I'm not the biggest fan of tuna and hate bringing stinky things to work. These don't smell offensive - have about 16-20g of protein and 70-100cals/packet and taste great! Add a hard boiled egg or cheese stick and you should be pretty close to 30g? Or throw it in a low carb high protein lavash bread so it's portable? I also started food prepping extra grilled chicken and eating just that for a snack, or some low sodium deli meat if I'm really desperate.

Thanks for the ideas! Those Sunkist things are really good, especially the tomato one. I'm still trying to find something easy to carry, I hate prepping lunch since I spend so much time making dinner (working college student here lol!) an egg, bread and tuna might be too much for me to juggle while running all over the place 🙁. I like the chicken breast idea though, how many grams of protein are there in a chicken breast ?

100 g of roasted boneless, skinless chicken breast has 31 g of protein (USDA). I didn't suggest meat, since you said you don't really care for it, but meat is definitely the most "bang for your buck" that you'll get for protein.

Yeah meat isn't my favorite but I don't completely balk at chicken, although carrying around a giant bag of chicken would be pretty weird lol! How many calories are in 100 g of chicken , that's the perfect amount of protein! Nothing some BBQ sauce couldn't fix up either...

Around 165 calories for 100g of chicken breast
  • vvake
    vvake Posts: 11 Member
    edited July 2018
    You might try looking online for high protein ("protein-fortified") versions of things you already like. You'd be surprised at what companies will throw extra protein into. Of course you might not be able to find something that has 30g per serving but you could up your overall intake if you find multiple foods.

For example I have found high-protein cereals, breads, pasta, chips, ice creams, nut milks etc.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    vvake wrote: »
    You might try looking online for high protein ("protein-fortified") versions of things you already like. You'd be surprised at what companies will throw extra protein into. Of course you might not be able to find something that has 30g per serving but you could up your overall intake if you find multiple foods.

For example I have found high-protein cereals, breads, pasta, chips, ice creams, nut milks etc.

I have tried a lot of those and there are some I am good with, but with every one of them you can tell it's a little (or a lot) different.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited July 2018
    Wow, it's going to be hard for you to get all that protein you desire if you don't like most meat, greek yogurt, peanuts, cottage cheese, chia, flax and everything else is too expensive or stinky. :p

Someone suggested collagen powder, so that might be your best bet. It doesn't really have any taste or texture either (or any smell whatsoever). The best one I've found is Great Lakes Gelatin (green container). Make a smoothie without protein powder, but includes collagen, chia, flax, hemp seeds and whatever fruit you like, maybe add some spinach. If you added greek yogurt you wouldn't notice the texture of that either. Using a nutribullet or high-speed blender everything is liquified so you don't really have much texture at all. Super protein-packed and portable.

ETA: I have suffered with hypoglycemia in the past. Best solution is to eat frequent small meals, and yes, protein is key. My go-to's are boiled eggs, string cheese, jerky and nuts. When I travel around (even for a day) I carry a small lunch bag with a freezy pack in it so everything stays cold. If you are eating small amounts of jerky and nuts, a little goes a long way. Not like you need to eat the whole package at one time. You can also make your own jerky with cheap cuts of meat in your oven. YouTube can show you how.

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,779 Member
    I mix up protein powder with bananas and almond milk. Freeze it. Also yasso frozen yogurts are good.
  • bunnyluv19
    bunnyluv19 Posts: 103 Member
    how about cheese & crackers? mozzarella & havarti are mild &have smooth textures.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,963 Member
    Kashi cereals
    Macadamia nuts, Pistachios, Brazil nuts
    You said you don’t like nuts, but there are many kinds!
    Ezekiel breads (I like Sesame)
    Hummus (Boar’s Head single serves are easy)

Frozen cooked shrimp is fast!
    Egg frittatas or quiches?

And yes, cheese!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Kashi cereals
    Macadamia nuts, Pistachios, Brazil nuts
    You said you don’t like nuts, but there are many kinds!
    Ezekiel breads (I like Sesame)
    Hummus (Boar’s Head single serves are easy)

Frozen cooked shrimp is fast!
    Egg frittatas or quiches?

And yes, cheese!

Hummus slipped my mind. It's divine! And if you don't like chickpeas, you can make it from any kind of beans.

I just discovered Hummustir, which is a totally shelf-stable product that you can pack around without refrigeration. The tahini is packaged separately from the chickpea paste and you stir it up together after you open it. They carry it at Walmart and through Amazon, as well as other places. It was truly a tasty hummus experience and now I want to get more.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    eggs, wonderslim bars
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Here's another super post with good sources of protein:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/926789/protein-sources/p1
  • FL_Hiker
    edited July 2018
    hroderick wrote: »
    The price of your pickiness may be your health.

Well thanks captain obvious.. that's why I was asking for ideas lol 😂
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Blood sugar 101. All foods convert to glucose, and granulated sugar is about the fastest to metabolise.

If you have a low blood sugar moment, glucose in sugar, juice, or glucotab form will bounce you back out the fastest. But it is very short acting. To stay out of the low blood sugar you need to follow up with protein.

Whey protein is metabolised fastest
    Sugars - within minutes
    Starchy Carbs
    Protein
    Fats can take up to 12 hours to metabolise.

That's why protein is ideal and you should have some on hand all the time. A protein bar is about perfect because it also has fast acting sugars and fats.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I’ve been eating boiled eggs. Good peanut or almond butter is not expensive at Trader Joe’s or Costco (those are cheap sources for nuts). I put them on celery or apples. Chicken with a bbq sauce or rub may be tasty. If you’re okay with tuna, try egg or chicken salad as well. I have been doing the whole 30 diet - which is basically paleo. And I feel so much better. I always have nuts with me. They seem expensive but you eat them by the 1/8 cup - they are super filling.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    edited July 2018
    There are a gazillion bars that meet your requirement and are cheap. Try them all
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    hroderick wrote: »
    The price of your pickiness may be your health.

Well thanks captain obvious.. that's why I was asking for ideas lol 😂

I think he may have been getting at the point that you might revisit all these decisions about foods you don't like and won't eat. Maybe something prepared a different way or maybe give some things more of a chance. You aren't leaving many good protein sources as possibilities.

Especially when price is also an issue.

In many decision-making situations, if you have three or more criteria, you're going to need to decide which criteria are most important for you.

his is similar to the problem frequently seen on these boards, that you can eat nutritionally dense foods cheaply, and you can eat nutritionally dense foods that are convenient (usually this means they take little prep or work on your part, but in your case it means that it needs to be portable), and you can eat convenient food cheaply, but it's much more challenging to eat nutritionally dense food cheaply and without any prep/cooking. And you're adding in a fourth criteria list of food aversions that right off the bat cover almost the entire field of foods that meet your first criterion of protein-dense (no meat, no beans, some resistance on tuna, no greek yogurt, no cottage cheese, no protein powders).

I think somebody suggested hard-boiled eggs, which is cheap and portable, but aside from needing four eggs to get close to 30 g of protein, it will also "cost" close to 300 kcal. I don't think OP ever said directly how many cals are available for this mid-morning snack, but that might be too much. What about one or two whole eggs smushed up with four egg whites and some mustard/cayenne/hot sauce for deviled egg salad? You could eat it in a lettuce wrap. That would run through a dozen eggs every two days (although you could repurpose the extra egg yolks in some other dish, or maybe mix into scrambled eggs for someone else in the house), which, if you buy conventional eggs, would work out to about a dollar a day in my neck of the woods.
  • FL_Hiker
    I'm going with the tuna and chicken idea. Thanks everyone
  • OHammykins
    OHammykins Posts: 98 Member
    edited July 2018
    What about one or two whole eggs smushed up with four egg whites and some mustard/cayenne/hot sauce for deviled egg salad? You could eat it in a lettuce wrap.

That sounds delicious! :o