Bodybuilding and body image issues

Replies

• Rose18l
    Rose18l Posts: 147 Member
    For me I still deal with body images even though I am 10kg smaller, it is just different issues

- Getting fatter
    - Getting smaller
    - More muscle/less muscle
    - Virtiligo
    - etc.....

I think no one will ever be satisfied with how they look.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited July 2018
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for all the support. It seems I am not alone in how I feel. I am very happy with the progress I have made but I think many of us have those days where we just feel discouraged (especially when I catch some bad lighting or photo angle), not to mention I am not getting any younger so maybe that is part of it.

Getting involved in another area of fitness is a good idea, I used to be into kickboxing, and I love yoga.. so maybe putting some more focus on those areas can shift my thinking.

I don't really compare myself to anyone online, I look at my body and want it to look a certain way which seems attainable since in certain light it will look great, but then in bad lighting it's like.. uch, what happened.

I am starting to consider a coach, but they would have to be very knowledgeable and someone I really trust. I have someone in mind but can't commit right now, maybe in the future I will.

I don't think it has reached the level where I need to talk to someone, but if it starts to interfere with my daily life in a significant and long term way, I will consider it.

I will keep working on it. Try to keep focus on the good parts and not the bad. It is easier said than done I'm sure!

Thanks everyone. I hope we can all find that balance.

Stef, I always said to you that you look fantastic. I think it's just all in your head, you're maybe striving for perfection. Our bodies have limits on what it can acheive. The only thing we can do is just continue what we are doing and improving each day, not to be perfect. Think of it this way, the way your body is shaped and your bf % represent 1% of the population, so you are doing something right. Most people in the general population don't even bother to better their health.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Very few people see themselves as they really are. It's a shame, but human nature I suppose, we are our own worse enemy.
  • Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    Got to agree with this above. I haven’t been active on the forum for that long but I have seen you’re cut and bulk pictures and I think that you’re progress and attitude to lifting is fantastic.

Sometimes easier to see the gains in others than yourself.

Keep up the good work B)
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I don't mean to make light of this.
    But, I think maybe all we are saying is that anyone who start lifting wants to look better, which, necessarily, means that are dissatisfied with how they look.
    It's human nature to have some insecurity...Er....It's extremely common, anyway.
    But, that's where the comfort is. The comfort is in knowing that everyone feels that way. You're normal.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,379 Member
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    I don't mean to make light of this.
    But, I think maybe all we are saying is that anyone who start lifting wants to look better, which, necessarily, means that are dissatisfied with how they look.
    It's human nature to have some insecurity...Er....It's extremely common, anyway.
    But, that's where the comfort is. The comfort is in knowing that everyone feels that way. You're normal.

Yep. It's normal to be human. And by nature, comparisons happen. I think to some extent personal goals are what make those comparisons tough.

I know people that would much rather compare themselves to the couch potato crowd and be happy that they aren't a couch potato. A person in the same shape comparing themselves to the fitness beast crowd is still in the same shape, but often disappointed in their appearance or fitness gains.

• piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    The whole reason I started lifting in HS was because I was the smallest in my class. That self image of me has followed me around the whole time. I get comments from people (good comments!) essentially saying I'm built pretty good but I look in the mirror and still see that small kid.
    Never ending battle.....
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Definitely in this crowd. I've always easily gotten in my own head about shortcomings, physical or otherwise, which I talked about some in the "Cutting after a bulk" thread. I don't really know how to combat it, I've always just dealt with it. At times I can use it as a tool to re-focus my effort but I doubt that's the mentally healthiest path to take either.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited July 2018
    The whole reason I started lifting in HS was because I was the smallest in my class. That self image of me has followed me around the whole time. I get comments from people (good comments!) essentially saying I'm built pretty good but I look in the mirror and still see that small kid.
    Never ending battle.....

That's exactly me, even after 5 years of lifting experience.
    I try to ignore what mind says about me.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    deercrest wrote: »
    Just came across this post and does this ever capture my struggles. 5 years ago if I thought I would be in this shape at 50 I would have been pleased (coming from the poor shape I was in) but now at 50 I feel like it could be so much better. The more progress I make the more dissatisfied I become. I know this is not healthy and I try not to compare myself to others. But even comparing where I have come from I know I have more to give and gain. Thanks to everyone for their comments. Happy to be an accountability/support partner with those in a similar situation. mpaxvylwrv1o.jpg

Holy crap, you look incredible!

I think that about sums it up for me as well... I've been lifting consistently, bulking and cutting, for about five years now. I feel like I should look way better than I do, and some days I feel like I actually look worse. The mind is a funny thing.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    edited July 2018
    You don't need to have "serious" goals (like pro bodybuilding) to hire a coach. You just need to have goals that are serious to you.

I have a powerlifting trainer. I'm a nearly 40 year old woman. I've done a few local pl competitions; I'm not setting the sport on fire. I need a trainer (on and off) to push me, encourage me, and occasionally correct me. For me, it's $ well spent, b/c I love powerlifting and want to excel to the best of my ability...with a little help.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited July 2018
    Wow @deercrest you look fantastic... are you sure you aren't 23? :) We can definitely be our own worst enemies for sure. I feel like I look good but I could and should look so much better. And the closer I get to my ideal, the farther away I feel at the same time!

Yea I always feel like if I had a coach I would drive them BONKERS. I feel like it's a waste because I know what I am doing deep down inside. And I probably wouldn't trust/follow their programming anyhow which IMO would be super disrespectful for them and so then why on Earth am I paying them (so until I am ready to listen to them 100%, I wouldn't hire one).
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    deercrest wrote: »
    I think coaches are good for some people but for me I tend to stick with things that I figure out and earn on my own. Part of the reason I keep pushing myself is because it's Hard. It's a challenge and that drives me. The more I learn and the better I become just fuels my desire to get better and better. I respect anyone who is here battling daily for self improvement. You all motivate me.

Dude, much respect. I am 51, don't look quite as good as you (but getting closer everyday....so you had better keep up!) and I completely understand - the struggle is indeed real. People think that this stuff just happens...that you just write it down on a piece of paper and bam! Six weeks later you have a six-pack and that v-taper and and and. Nope! Sorry to disappoint everyone. Does not work that way. You gotta have a great program, you gotta have a great nutritional plan, and you gotta show up EVERYDAY! I hear all the time "I am just too busy....". Okay, and when they have to amputate your left foot.....you toooooo busy now?

So, the ladies are not the only ones sitting there going "Dayum". I know the sturggle....like I said....right behind you! Don't slow down.....let's just show them what "Old Man Strength" really means! Shhhhhhh! It is all mental...not physical. It is the strength of our determination and competitive spirtit. Let's not share that with them young bucks! Cool? :-)
  • deercrest
    deercrest Posts: 27 Member
    You got brother! Love the challenge of progressing when others our age are decreasing. I am in the best shape of my life and know I have much more to give.
  • deercrest
    deercrest Posts: 27 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I think this is why it's important to have other goals besides making your body look a certain way. And it's why I do another activity besides lifting weights. I've recently started to get into running and I actually am more excited about running than I am about lifting. I'm excited to get better and run longer distances. I do lift because I want my body to change to a degree but also because I just want to be stronger and healthier. This is why I am not a fan of bodybuilding competitions and bikini competitions. I think they just feed into too much self obsession. There are things in life more important than how you look. When it comes down to it, "looking good" doesn't really give you much joy in life. Being healthy, doing fun activities, spending time with your family etc. do.

Yea I hear you. But I love looking good... looking good makes me feel good, most of the time. I do understand it should not become obsessive, if it starts to crowd out other joys in your life yea that can be a problem. So far for me it is not there yet, but there are days where I get frustrated. Even if I was training for strength, I am sure there would be days where I felt weak or think "what's the point?" it is like that with anything.

With you 100%