Lifting belt

2»

Replies

• ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    I use this one:

http://www.inzernet.com/detail_belt.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FOREVERBELT_LEVER13

I like it for gym practice because you can get it on and off real quick and you don't need anybody else's help. The buckle (normal) kind is here. My wife set world records on this particular one:

http://www.inzernet.com/detail_belt.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FOREVERBELT_BUCKLE13

The buckle kind has some advantages in competition. You can sinch it up to different tightnesses between your warmup, 1st, 2nd and 3rd lifts, which is good. And if you have a problem with asking two husky men to help you put on your clothes, well, then you're in the wrong sport anyway.

As far as belts in general go, the idea is to practice submaximal lifts with the same power, speed and neuromuscular coordination (~35% of your power) as you use on maximum lifts. On maximal lifts, belts help you manage your intra-abdominal pressure and distribute the force. Most people don't know how to use them though, so unless you're competing in powerlifting and have a good coach I wouldn't get a top end one.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited July 2018
    stej5639 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Im looking at getting myself a lifting belt, as i do a lot of compound lifts, like deads and squats. Ive been looking but there are so many different types, different thicknesses etc. What would be a good one to get?
    Thanks,
    Ste
    Why do you want a lifting belt is the question I ask?

Belts have benefits if your goal is to be strong as possible, but they are not magic. One still has to brace the same as if you didn't wear one. It's just possible to lift more with most people on certain lifts.

Bob's belt and Pioneer are the best when you factor in some are custom made to your specs, pre broken in, and customer service.
    sardelsa wrote: »
    How do you know when you need a belt ? I don't compete and I typically do higher reps and don't lift near my 1RM. I also don't really squat but at some point I hope that will change.

You don't have to lift near your 1RM to benefit from a belt. It's has more to do with the stimulas and fatigue a muscle endures regardless of rep size. Example my latest bone on bone grinding PR of a 1RM is the same stimulas & fatigue as if I did 12 reps at 68% of that 100% effort of 1 rep. My.body would fatigue and fail just the same only it would take 11 more reps to get to that point.
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    For what it's worth, I like this explanation of why a belted vs no belt squat would be programmed for a powerlifter:
    "Most variations besides the squat w/ belt should be performed beltless. This is not done to increase how much the “core” gets trained or to get the lifter to use their abs better, as neither of those statements are supported by evidence. Rather, beltless squats allow for a training stress to be achieved with a slightly lighter weight, which may allow for technique corrections and decreased load-induced musculoskeletal pain" - Jordan Feigenbaum, Austin Baraki
  • LIBOR_cat
    LIBOR_cat Posts: 197 Member
    edited July 2018
    I deadlift up to 450 lbs without one. I wear it only if I am lifting over 450 lbs for safety. I don’t recommend wearing one for normal lifts as they don’t necessarily help build core strength.
  • stej5639
    stej5639 Posts: 57 Member
    The main reason is to hopefully avoid injury. Ive been told my form is good by a pt, so i suppose that helps. I add 2.5kg each workout and im just worried that my form could slip as the weight goes up. Cheers, ste.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    I personally use an inzer 10mm lever belt it's great. The leather is high quality and it 100% adds to your stability during lifts. I'm not sure how it compares to the SBD but they are both top ranked brands.

I will second the spacing between your hips and ribs. I also deal with it, but when you're going into the hole bracing against hundreds of pounds you find yourself pinching skin between hardened leather and bone.

Another thing, do you know the purpose of lifting belts and have you learned to properly breathe into your stomach and brace your core without one? it's another factor to consider. Not saying you dont, just making sure before you drop the coin.
  • Chieflrg
    jessef593 wrote: »
    I personally use an inzer 10mm lever belt it's great. The leather is high quality and it 100% adds to your stability during lifts. I'm not sure how it compares to the SBD but they are both top ranked brands.

I will second the spacing between your hips and ribs. I also deal with it, but when you're going into the hole bracing against hundreds of pounds you find yourself pinching skin between hardened leather and bone.

Another thing, do you know the purpose of lifting belts and have you learned to properly breathe into your stomach and brace your core without one? it's another factor to consider. Not saying you dont, just making sure before you drop the coin.

The outside suede is top quality, though the robus that is sandwiched between the two layers is very cheap and can be torn by hand.
    Also probably the reason why the belt willl never fully breakin. It is also glued and stitched together which Inzer claimed that it is genuine leather without glue The belt should last a lifetime nonetheless but is on the lower end of the higher quality belts available. The price makes it a good purchase for those who prefer a stiff belt.

SBD is slightly better and has the ability to adjust on the fly which is the interesting factor. The leather itself is good, but nothing outstanding.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    In terms of competing in power lifting as a sport, I guess you would want one. The best trainer I've ever know said to me one day upon seeing my belt, "you don't compete right?' I said, "right?"
    Him: "So why do you wear a belt?"
    Me: "For stability in my core when I lift heavy."
    Him: " If a car rolls onto your wife's leg, are you going to say, "wait right there honey while I run and get my belt?""
    Me: "Of course not!"
    Him: " Then it seems to me, if you are not training to compete, you ought to train for life"
    Me: "But I might not be able to lift as much without it. Wouldn't I be going backwards?"
    Him: "At first. But after you train your core to handle it, you'll be more functionally strong than you were to begin with. For, you know....life. Just sayin...."

Stopped using a belt that day. Squatting and deadlifting the same as ever 9 months later at age 67. Works sets of 3x5 225 for DLs and 3x5 205 for squats. Just a different perspective for consideration.
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    In terms of competing in power lifting as a sport, I guess you would want one. The best trainer I've ever know said to me one day upon seeing my belt, "you don't compete right?' I said, "right?"
    Him: " If a car rolls onto your wife's leg, are you going to say, "wait right there honey while I run and get my belt?""
    Him: " Then it seems to me, if you are not training to compete, you ought to train for life"
    Me: "But I might not be able to lift as much without it. Wouldn't I be going backwards?"
    Him: "At first. But after you train your core to handle it, you'll be more functionally strong than you were to begin with. For, you know....life. Just sayin...."

Stopped using a belt that day. Squatting and deadlifting the same as ever 9 months later at age 67. Works sets of 3x5 225 for DLs and 3x5 205 for squats. Just a different perspective for consideration.

Now imagine how much you could be lifting if you were still using a belt!
  • jessef593
    Chieflrg wrote: »

The outside suede is top quality, though the robus that is sandwiched between the two layers is very cheap and can be torn by hand.
    Also probably the reason why the belt willl never fully breakin. It is also glued and stitched together which Inzer claimed that it is genuine leather without glue The belt should last a lifetime nonetheless but is on the lower end of the higher quality belts available. The price makes it a good purchase for those who prefer a stiff belt.

SBD is slightly better and has the ability to adjust on the fly which is the interesting factor. The leather itself is good, but nothing outstanding.

I never knew that, good to know though. Though my fanboy and brand loyalty tell me to be offended :lol:

In regards to it lasting. I've had it for two years using it at least a couple times a week and its held together pretty well. Definitely happy with my purchase. SBD on the other hand, I bought a pair of knee sleeves and one of the pair has gotten so tight that I cant put it on anymore. Even using the roll up technique and even with my thigh measurements having decreased. Not to hijack the thread but have you ever experienced that phenomenon @Chieflrg
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    mmapags wrote: »

I don't know anything about using a belt but I like this story. I'm not a pro, I'm not in competition, but even when I was footballer back in school. I never used a belt. My biggest lift ever was 345 in the squat rack when I was still a punk kid at 165. Currently I'm just getting back into power lifting, I usually lift barefoot in my undies or under armor shorts. I like the idea of functional strength. On the other hand I wonder, If I ever needed to kick someones *kitten* do I ask "Hey man can you give me a minute to take off my shoes and clothes cuz I'm way better naked!"
    In all seriousness I don't dismiss the idea of a belt, and I'll see once I start pushing towards 315 again If I think its necessary. But right now its definitely not.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg wrote: »

I never knew that, good to know though. Though my fanboy and brand loyalty tell me to be offended :lol:

In regards to it lasting. I've had it for two years using it at least a couple times a week and its held together pretty well. Definitely happy with my purchase. SBD on the other hand, I bought a pair of knee sleeves and one of the pair has gotten so tight that I cant put it on anymore. Even using the roll up technique and even with my thigh measurements having decreased. Not to hijack the thread but have you ever experienced that phenomenon @Chieflrg

Inzer belt will last, its just falsely advertised and can be troublesome to those who prefer a belt that adjusts to the person instead of person adjusting to the belt.

I don't have a problem with my SBD knee sleeves other than I had to immediately return them the day of because my calves are abnormally big/muscular. You can might have more luck with pulling them up over deadliftsocks or plastic bag technique if you haven't tried already though the latter is technically illegal in the USAPL if you compete.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    I use a belt for weights above 85-90% generally. I currently use a leather Eleiko belt for oly lifting, squat's deads, pulls etc. I like it because while it's wide in the back which really helps me brace for squats and deadlifts it's narrow in the front so it doesn't give me any issue with cleans.
    amazon.com/Eleiko-Olympic-Weightlifting-Belt-S/dp/B01M5EHYJE/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

When I did crossfit I prefered a velcro belt because it wasn't as rigid. I used this harbinger
    amazon.com/Harbinger-Womens-Weightlifting-Flexible-Ultralight/dp/B009LR3JIS/ref=sr_1_6?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1530899620&sr=1-6&keywords=harbinger+belt&dpID=41U39AzyoyL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    I have an Inzer Forever. I use it for 85%+. I've had it for a couple, and it's still like brand new. It's also purple.

You don't NEED a belt, but it does help for heavy sets. You can "brace against" it for increase core stability.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited July 2018
    Those reading this and to those who are considering purchasing a belt that can be used in a federation need to keep in mind a few things. I’ll speak for the USAPL, since that’s the one I compete and ref in.

1. A belt can be of leather or vinyl construction but must meet the equipment specifications cited within the rule book under personal equipment.
    2. For all local competitions the belt just needs to meet the specs. Manufacturer isn’t a concern.
    3. For all Regional, National, and World competitions, personal equipment must meet specs and be from approved manufacturers.
    4. Belts of Velcro construction are not considered legal, since the overlap of fabric would be one than more ply.

That’s off the top of my head. I’ve worked many equipment checks both local and National as well as TC and have seen all sorts of things presented to me that don’t pass muster.
  • grob49
    grob49 Posts: 125 Member
    A purpose of a lifting belt is to stabilize the core when lifting heavy weights. Don't get one the is small in the front and big in the back. There is not enough surface for the core to push against. Also did not get any one with a plastic buckle. At some point you will be putting so much pressure on the buckle it will come undone. I speak from experience on this. The ones with double prongs ate the best.
  • jessef593
    grob49 wrote: »
    A purpose of a lifting belt is to stabilize the core when lifting heavy weights. Don't get one the is small in the front and big in the back. There is not enough surface for the core to push against. Also did not get any one with a plastic buckle. At some point you will be putting so much pressure on the buckle it will come undone. I speak from experience on this. The ones with double prongs ate the best.

Oooh thst must've been terrifying. Did you miss the lift when it happened?