Compatible Fitness Tracker

Hello,
I'm joseph and new to myfitnesspal. I'm seeking help in deciding which of 2 trackers would be most compatible with myfitnesspal. the two options are fitbit charge 2 and the misfit shine 2.
I had a fitbit charge hr but it got damaged. I am not familiar with the misfit shine 2 or the fitbit charge 2 however these are the 2 top items on the best trackers of the year list.
What I am doing and what I am trying to do:
I was recently instructed to lose between 25-30 lbs for health reasons (pre-diabetic). I am currently walking or cycling 3 times a week (one -two hour) as my health permits and recently started with some beginner exorcise videos videos. (ab work and cardio burn). my goal is to eventually be either walking/cycling or exorcising everyday. I am not too familiar with how the trackers interact with the system/program (myfitnespal) so that was why I was inquiring as to what works best with the system. I might also be open to a different model if necessary. Any help in deciding the best fitness tracker for working with myfitnesspal would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    I can't speak to the Fitbit infrastructure, but Misfit syncs great. I have a Misfit and a Garmin and both pass useful and meaningful data to MFP.

I've had a Shine(1) for about 2 years and a Garmin Vivoactive(1) for about 3. both have held up well and sync smoothly with MFP.

Based on the recent spate of complaints, it seems Fitbit is having their semiannual incompatibility with MFP. Lots of users are having difficulty getting their data to pass over.
  • josephparsons92
    josephparsons92 Posts: 23 Member
    what does the shine 1 track? just steps? or does it have the heart rate monitor also?
  • mhschaffel
    mhschaffel Posts: 2 Member
    I am new here as well. lost 7#s so far. I'm also looking for a fitness tracker easily integratable with MyFitnessPal. I had a MisFit Shine and had to return it because it wouldn't start and Customer support would only send templated replies which were not helpful. I spent hours trying to get it right, bought new batteries but no success so i returned it. Starting from scratch. My workout consists of a combination of cardio (an hour a day) and just started a strength regiment which I'm tracking on MFP. I want to track my calories burned in real time and comprehensively. What do you recommend?
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Hello,
    I'm joseph and new to myfitnesspal. I'm seeking help in deciding which of 2 trackers would be most compatible with myfitnesspal. the two options are fitbit charge 2 and the misfit shine 2.
    I had a fitbit charge hr but it got damaged. I am not familiar with the misfit shine 2 or the fitbit charge 2 however these are the 2 top items on the best trackers of the year list.
    I was recently instructed to lose between 25-30 lbs for health reasons (pre-diabetic). I am currently walking or cycling 3 times a week (one -two hour) as my health permits and recently started with some beginner exorcise videos videos. (ab work and cardio burn). my goal is to eventually be either walking/cycling or exorcising everyday. I am not too familiar with how the trackers interact with the system/program (myfitnespal) so that was why I was inquiring as to what works best with the system. I might also be open to a different model if necessary. Any help in deciding the best fitness tracker for working with myfitnesspal would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

If you'll be getting most of your exercise from cycling and planned walks (as opposed to trying to add up bits of steps throughout the day) and are trying to quantify that, then a free gps-based phone app like strava/endomondo/etc (or a Garmin) will probably work better for you than a step-tracker-type device.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    My Blaze just died but it only synced steps although I thought it did heart rate sync. That may have been with my Runtastic app but it stopped syncing that awhile ago. I have a versa coming today so I will have to see. I didn't need all the GPS and coaching in the Ionic since I must always have a phone with me (on call). The really weird thing is if I use Runtastic to sync my calorie burn MFP knows not to count my step burn at the same time.
  • gcconroy29
    gcconroy29 Posts: 85 Member
    I had a similar problems with a Misfit watch. Really horrible customer service that never helped at all. I had to return it as well.
    Now I have the Garmin Vivosmart 3 and I love it. I know I'm not using half the functions in it. But it's a great step/sleep tracker and heart rate monitor. I can enter all my workouts, except for Field Hockey games which I just label as Cardio, and I really like the rep counter for my strength workouts.
    No problems syncing with MFP
  • josephparsons92
    mhschaffel wrote: »
    I am new here as well. lost 7#s so far. I'm also looking for a fitness tracker easily integratable with MyFitnessPal. I had a MisFit Shine and had to return it because it wouldn't start and Customer support would only send templated replies which were not helpful. I spent hours trying to get it right, bought new batteries but no success so i returned it. Starting from scratch. My workout consists of a combination of cardio (an hour a day) and just started a strength regiment which I'm tracking on MFP. I want to track my calories burned in real time and comprehensively. What do you recommend?

I'm waiting on a fitbit charge now. I will definately let you know once it arrives and is up and running.
    I had a fitbit charge hr before and I have to admit that fitbit's customer service is by far the best that I have ever seen. it's one of the deciding factors that led me back to there company. there have been some changes in the pricing strategy for extended warranty and such, but hopefully it will still be worth it. I tend to avoid any template type customer service because I find that they are more interested in getting a new customer than tending to the customers that they already have. I did a lot of homework both times. I had problems with the charge hr in regards to longevity and charging issues but they always provided another as long as I was under warranty.
  • josephparsons92
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Hello,
    Thank you

If you'll be getting most of your exercise from cycling and planned walks (as opposed to trying to add up bits of steps throughout the day) and are trying to quantify that, then a free gps-based phone app like strava/endomondo/etc (or a Garmin) will probably work better for you than a step-tracker-type device.

unfortunately I don't have a smart phone. the phone I do have is not compatible with most of the upper echelon programs that's why I was looking for a tracker. Because of problems with a sedentary lifestyle (and medical problems) I chose to walk and ride my bike to get around and trying to track all that stop and go activity can be nightmare at times.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Fitbit charge 2 owner here... very pleased that it automatically records any walking or cycling over 15 minutes as a workout. I also use the spin mode for stationary bike. It really does everything I need it too. My only complaint is it tends to be a little generous in the calorie burn department, but I can adjust for it. Sinc with MFP is effortless, especially if using both apps several times a day. Bonus is that it tracks my sleep as well.
  • I’m a loyal Fitbit user. Right now I have the Fitbit ionic and love it!! I have had success with the Fitbit with Losing weight over the last few years and love the challenges that I can do as well as the integration with apps!!