Tired of cutting out food groups!

I’m so tired of having all the popular diets cut out so many food groups. How does one have a proper balanced diet?

Replies

• JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    So don’t cut any out. Just eat what you like, within a calorie deficit, and you will lose weight.

The only real reason to restrict yourself from eating any type of food is medical.

Sometimes you might find that eating more or less of a particular food group helps with satiety or avoiding cravings, but that’s a personal thing only.

Don’t be suckered in to any restrictive fad diets. Find a way of eating where you are getting a balanced diet and you can live with it long term and just figure out how to do it within your calorie goal.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    I’m so tired of having all the popular diets cut out so many food groups. How does one have a proper balanced diet?

Stop following the "popular" diets. Fad diets are just that, stupid fads. Science shows that the only way to truly cut weight is to measure your food and count calories in vs calories out. It helps you to be less restrictive. Craving pizza? Have it, but eat accordingly the rest of your day. IIFYM is really a great method.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    There are great plating ideas from:
    https://www.choosemyplate.gov

and the ADA

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/planning-meals/create-your-plate/

No banned foods.

Stick to your calorie goal every day and you will lose weight.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Yeah, most fad diets are not sustainable to me. I can understand cutting out meat for ethical reasons but see no reason to eliminate dairy, grains, or fruits. A balance of things is best. Mostly healthy food with some treats.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member

So stop following popular diets and eat the way you want to, and see if you can maintain a deficit that way. While there are many here who find the popular diets help them stay at the right calorie level, there are also many of us eating a little bit of everything, not following any diet, doing the same. Do what works for you. You don't have to follow the trends to lose weight.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Weight loss is because you eat fewer calories than you burn not type of food.
    You can eat whatever foods satisfy you in amounts appropriate for your calorie goal.
    MFP will tell you how many calories to eat to lose weight. You don't have to do a special diet.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited July 2018
    To lose weight, all you need is a calorie deficit.

But you should also consider these things:

- What kinds of food do you find satiating? For a lot of people (including me), high-fibre + high-protein is a winning combo.

- General nutrition: Make sure you're getting enough healthy protein, fats, and micronutrients to keep your body healthy.

- There's nothing wrong with enjoying some junk/fast food in moderation.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member

One doesn't follow so-called "popular" diets.

One eats from all the food groups! :)

I learned all this in Health classes in school when I was growing up, but maybe you didn't have those (???) ... so, here's the Canada Food Guide website: https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/canada-food-guides.html

It may not be perfect, but it could be a starting point for you.

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    This might sound funny....but I agree!

And, I follow the Ketogenic Lifestyle (where carbs are essentially removed from the menu!).

As others have stated, losing weight is all about a caloric deficit. Plain and simple. So, if you maintain at 2700 calories and you are cutting and your new range is 2200 calories how those calories look is up to you and personal preference. It is really important to not go down a path where you wake up one day and think to yourself "Man, this sucks...when is it over?" Because you pretty much just answered your own question. Whatever path you decide to take....it has to be sustainable.

There are general guidelines (give me some latitude with that word) for breakdown of macros....starting with protein (where you generally want 0.8g/lb - 1.2g/lb) and then fats (where you generally want 0.25g/lb - 0.40g/lb) and then let carbs fill in the rest. Start there and play with what works best for you. Everyone is different so no one can really "answer" that question for you. I really enjoy this playtime....I have hurt myself a few times in the gym (silly me.....) but used that time wisely in that I played with nutrition and learned a lot about how my body works!

And, I would suggest that some might (more accurately) suggest that my 0.8b/lb - 1.2g/lb should be not /lb (per pound of body weight) but /lbm (pound of lean body mass).

It really is all about a caloric deficit (or, if you are bulking, a caloric surplus). You need to find the "details" that work best for you.....no one can do that for you (and please understand the spirit of that statement). Start somewhere and adjust accordingly. But, if I might....give each 'attempt' a few weeks.

Make sense?
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member

A steak in one hand, a cupcake in the other - of equal weight.

You are over thinking losing weight. For starters, all you need to do to lose weight is eat at a calorie deficit. That includes "junk" food. Remember, the human body needs salt and fat and sugars to survive, along with a myriad of other micro and macronutrients.

Unless you are allergic to, have a severe intolerance of, or other medical condition that dictates certain things be avoided: There are NO BAD foods! There aren't.

There's no magic either, there are no magic foods that can make you gain or lose fat.

So eat what you enjoy, just keep your calories in your budget. Basically, try to eat mostly lower calorie/high nutritient foods, and keep the high calorie/low nutrient foods in moderation.

I have lost a total of 180lbs (so far), my diet includes fast food (The McDonald's McDouble mighty kids meal is my favorite), "junk" food (Pringles, Doritos, candy bars), every food group (carbs are awesome!!!!), all manner of processed foods (breakfast cereals - Cookie crisp & Cocoa Puffs!, Hot Pockets, frozen pizzas). My diet also includes nutrient dense things too...a lot of veggies, some fruit, lean protiens (had grilled tilapia fish tacos last night with a side of baked asparagus).

If you find yourself hungry all the time, go look at the volume eaters thread (high volume, low calorie foods) for ideas on foods that will keep you from feeling hungry.

Hope this helps, feel free to FR me and ask me anything or just for support and friendship as well.

• fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited July 2018

Haven't you heard of IIFYM (If it fits your macros)??? That's how. I've been bulking and cutting with mainly nutritional foods and I would fit some junk food into my diet with success. Of course, the lower your calories, the harder it is to fit junk food or high caloric foods into your diet without affecting the rest. I cut usually at 2400 calories, so it's easier for me to incorporate them. But some people (especially women) can be eating as low as 1200 calories which then makes it tougher (not impossible) to incorporate junk food or foods that you enjoy that are high caloric.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,515 Member
    If you don't want to cut out food groups, then don't.
  • beastmode2718
    beastmode2718 Posts: 108 Member
    I’ve been doing the keto diet which has helped me loose weight and stop eating junk but I honestly hate it. I’ve given up all my favorite foods and just eat the same things without much enjoyment. I do feel a lot fuller but I always want carbs and have to avoid eating with friends because I know the food won’t be keto. I know I can’t sustain it and since I’ve gone really low carb I have 0 energy. Not sure what to do because it’s working but I don’t enjoy it. Not sure how to keep myself from carb binging again. I’ve considered seeing a nutritionist.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited July 2018
    I do not cut out any foods or food groups. Loosing weight and enjoying meals can be hard enough without adding extra needless complications.

I follow the guidelines that MFP suggests (protein levels, carbs, fats). I'll play around with things. Try new recipes. I pre-log my days so I know where I am at and if things need to be modified .

I make room for foods I want. I need chocolate at least once a day (usually twice) and like snacks. I just work them in and eat in appropriate quantities. Foods I have trouble controlling quantity don't come into the house unless it's pre-planned (or are planned to be given to coworkers or other)
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    I’ve been doing the keto diet which has helped me loose weight and stop eating junk but I honestly hate it. I’ve given up all my favorite foods and just eat the same things without much enjoyment. I do feel a lot fuller but I always want carbs and have to avoid eating with friends because I know the food won’t be keto. I know I can’t sustain it and since I’ve gone really low carb I have 0 energy. Not sure what to do because it’s working but I don’t enjoy it. Not sure how to keep myself from carb binging again. I’ve considered seeing a nutritionist.

You may find better luck with a general low-carb approach, aiming for 50-100g of carbs per day. This gives you a lot more flexibility and variety in your diet, and the nice hunger curbing effect should stick around.

I also tried keto and found it too restrictive. Now I eat around 100-150g of carbs every day and have no trouble feeling full or losing weight.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I eat what I want, all food groups, within my calorie goal. Sometimes those calories are junk food like candy and chips. Most of the times those calories are a "balanced" diet of protein, fats, and carbohydrates. If I restrict in any one area, I'll binge on exactly that, so making sure those indulgences are allowed and planned help keep me on track.