You don't use a food scale?

Replies

• pinksunnyrose
    pinksunnyrose Posts: 453 Member
    I don’t use a food scale and have lost a lot of weight just fine. I’m down to the last 10 “vanity” pounds and may just buy one since it has helped so many of you.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    mkculs wrote: »
    I was fortunate to see this post--or something similar--the week I started here. I had purchased measuring spoons and cups, but went ahead and ordered a scale after watching one of the videos about the difference between weighing and measure. My thinking is that when the deficit is large and there is a lot of weight to lose, weighing probably isn't AS essential (unless you are one of those folks who fills every measuring utensil beyond full, every time), but it does make a difference *and* helps you with the information/data you are gathering. More importantly, as each of us gets to the end of the losing stage, those small deficits will be hard to maintain consistently without weighing. I have lots of time until I get there but find weighing food is just easier--I don't have to clean as many utensils. So being lazy works for me, in this case. YMMV.

Agree with all of this, especially the lazy part. :laugh:
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    I use a cheap $9 food scale. Weigh and measure almost everything. Makes a big difference in my ability to keep within my calorie budget, especially since my budget is only 1300 calories. When I don't have a scale available (restaurant meal, dinner at a friend's house), I guestimate portion sizes. Eating out is the hardest--I don't know how much extra fat or sugar went into my meal to make it taste really good. Just do you best.
  • spygirl2014
    spygirl2014 Posts: 53 Member
    My new food scale will arrive today from Amazon. I'm 20 from GW, and have had my own internal debate over using a scale. I can lose weight w/o, and I know this sounds crazy, but I've been worrying that by using one I will seem a bit too obsessed with the whole food thing. I want to set a good example for my teens, and personally, I feel like I spend a good portion of my time thinking about my food planning. Still, I get the argument about accurate measurements
    Anyone else feel this way?
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited July 2018
    My new food scale will arrive today from Amazon. I'm 20 from GW, and have had my own internal debate over using a scale. I can lose weight w/o, and I know this sounds crazy, but I've been worrying that by using one I will seem a bit too obsessed with the whole food thing. I want to set a good example for my teens, and personally, I feel like I spend a good portion of my time thinking about my food planning. Still, I get the argument about accurate measurements
    Anyone else feel this way?

Weighing food can be a trigger for someone with ED tendencies. But for most of us, it's just an easy way of assuring that we are not taking in more calories than we think and- and this aspect can often be overlooked- making sure we get all we've got coming to us, as opposed to going with high estimates that might otherwise cheat us out of calories. I have kids at home and they see their dad & I weighing our food all the time. They know it's just a tool like any other, to help us accomplish a particular task.
  • MixedbarbieMOM1991
    MixedbarbieMOM1991 Posts: 43 Member
    I've been on here actively a week can anyone recommend a good food scale?
  • try2again
    I've been on here actively a week can anyone recommend a good food scale?

Just go to Amazon or Walmart and pick the cheapest one ;) As long as it has grams & a tare function, you'll be good. I think mine is an Ozeri that I got for $10. It's lasted several years of daily use.
  • quiksylver296
    edited July 2018
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member

Your scale is purple!? :love:
  • quiksylver296
    pinuplove wrote: »

YES, IT IS!!! :bigsmile:
  • try2again

Oooohhh... those are nice! A little pricey though :(
  • quiksylver296
    try2again wrote: »

Oooohhh... those are nice! A little pricey though :(

I didn't pay that much. They've gone up in price. I think I got mine off Groupon, actually.
  • quiksylver296
    Bump
  • allison8668
    allison8668 Posts: 885 Member
    I use a food scale ! Sometimes. I have a couple of them.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Eeek....most of this month I can't. I'm on vacation, so I'm doing my best guesses based on previous meals, restaurant guides, and package listings.
  • quiksylver296
    Happy Monday!