Carbquik "alternative" baking mix?

iKapuniai
iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
Hello fellow low-carbers. I have been thinking about purchasing "Carbquik", which is essentially a low-carb Bisquik mix. Has anyone tried this? If so, how did you like it? What did it taste like? Did it spike your blood sugar/raise your glucose, kick you out of ketosis (if you're doing keto)? I'm looking for any feedback from people who have tried it. Thank you.

Replies

• tammyfranks2
    tammyfranks2 Posts: 290 Member
    not tried it but it looks amazing , found it on amazon wow ?? wonder?? LOL
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    Someone must have tried it. I need to go look it up.

I hope it does not have cricket flour or something.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    I tried it. It was OK. I only ended up using maybe 1/4 of the big box and tossed the rest, but I'm also lazy when it comes to baking separate stuff for me vs the rest of the family.
  • jamielslater
    jamielslater Posts: 125 Member
    I really like it when I am really missing flour type items. I have used it to make a check pot pie. I still try to use it in moderation. I am not doing ketosis only low carb so I didnt check my blood sugar when I have eaten it.
  • pltjess
    pltjess Posts: 101 Member
    I've used it before, mainly for pancakes, which turned out really great. I've been keto for a while, which is why I haven't been using it for quite some time, so I can't speak for any blood sugar spikes - Never checked!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    macchiatto wrote: »
    I tried it. It was OK. I only ended up using maybe 1/4 of the big box and tossed the rest, but I'm also lazy when it comes to baking separate stuff for me vs the rest of the family.

This is why in 4 years I've never even tried it.
    First I'm like, mmmmm pancakes.
    And then I'm like, more work? NOPE.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    baconslave wrote: »
    macchiatto wrote: »

This is why in 4 years I've never even tried it.
    First I'm like, mmmmm pancakes.
    And then I'm like, more work? NOPE.

Same here, lol.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Speaking of pancakes...I was reading a long, on-going thread in the main forum about new foods and saw a Cheesecake Factory short stack of cinnamon pancakes that is only available for their brunch...2040 calories. :# Looked pretty tasty though. :)
  • roberta941
    roberta941 Posts: 8 Member
    I use it fairly often and mostly for a "biscuit" (haven't tried pancakes) and I like them with a bit of sausage gravy too. I have also tried adding various flavors such as cinnamon (and raisins before low carbing it), or cocoa powder and a bit of stevia, -- these bake up just like the plain ones do. I haven't checked blood sugar effects so can't really comment on that.
  • Rainqueen77
    Rainqueen77 Posts: 116 Member
    I bought carbalose flour which is one ingredient in carbquick I believe. Used it to coat some chicken and it raised my blood sugar.
  • cindytoronto
    cindytoronto Posts: 13 Member
    I have used it and liked it. I made cheese biscuits, muffins and pancakes. The taste is fine. The texture is a little more coarse and dry compared to regular flour. I don’t test my blood sugar.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    edited August 2018
    I don't like Carbalose flour because it contains unfermented soy. I recommend keto luna's keto flour recipe:

http://ketotestkitchen.blogspot.com/p/experimental-keto-flour.html
  • rkmeyer41
    rkmeyer41 Posts: 58 Member
    I have it and use it occasionally. Makes a pretty good biscuit. The pizza crust not so much. I don't check my my blood sugar either, sorry.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I use almond flour for my cheesecake crust, which is about as far as I get in terms of alternative flours.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    I have tried it, it was okay. Didn't check my blood sugar. I would like to try carbalose flour (manufactured by the same people) some time, just to try some of the LC baking recipes I've seen on other sites. But I have seen a lot of "impossible pie" recipes (by Bisquick) that I would like to try with Carbquik.

It does have a tendency to just sit in my cupboard, though. Since I also have coconut flour, almond flour, psyllium husk powder, and everything else people in the LC world seem to use to make "bread", haven't bought it in a long time. For biscuits, I really love the coconut flour cheddar biscuits recipe I found at

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/coconut-flour-cheddar-drop-biscuits
  • poli22
    poli22 Posts: 170 Member
    I have also tried it, and it is just OK. You have to put stuff on it to give it any taste at all. I will not buy it again.
  • rkinaz
    rkinaz Posts: 12 Member
    I just got another box from Netrition the other day. I like it and use it for a number of purposes, including biscuits, muffins and cobbler topping. Also use it to "flour" pork chops and chicken before frying, and to make oven fried chicken, as well. True, it DOES have a bit of an after taste when used without any additional seasonings, so if you're looking for something that tastes EXACTLY like Bisquick, this probably isn't the product for you.
  • sweetnana126
    sweetnana126 Posts: 16 Member
    I've used carbquick on a number of occasions. It makes a pretty good impossible pie. If you like it and only use it in moderation I expect that it will have few negative effects. I generally don't use prepared food mainly because I think I do things better than mass produced food. I don't measure blood sugar so I don't know the impact.