Less Alcohol- July 2018- One Day at a Time

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,155 Member
    erikNJ wrote: »
    This Thursday, I will be indulging- it's my birthday and I"m going out with 8 girlfriends, so I don't think I"ll have the wherewithal to abstain. I hope to one day though. I hope one day I wont view a birthday as an excuse to have a few drinks. Baby Steps right now

I think this seems to be an ongoing struggle for everyone, in this group and out. We all seem to have some guilt when we want enjoy something when there is a health goal we are working towards. I did it last week when I came here and cried over how I spent July 4th and my nephews grad party. And then a day later I was over it and back focusing on cutting back drinking/eating and at the gym again.
    Don’t let any guilt tell you how not spend your birthday how you want to. In this short time I’ve known you, I have complete confidence you will be right back on track the next day. And Happy (early) Birthday!

Thanks Erik! You hit the spot- when you said we have guilt when we want to enjoy something that we know isn't good for our health goals. That's exactly right. I know that happened to you on July 4th and it may happen to me Thursday.
    Hey, I had a dream last night that I was out with my girlfriends and there was thunder and lightening. And we weren't able to go out; I've noticed that happens to me when I'm worrying about drinking while out. I have no off switch and I worry in advance that I'll drink too much. So, the dreams have started already. But over the last six months with you and the others, my odds of success are far greater than they were before Jan. 1st. Thank God for that!
    Thanks for your message!
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    donimfp wrote: »
    @norminv, I'm proud of you, too. And don't give up on the country music career. Keith Urban is totally sober. I agree with @JenT304 that you are an inspiration.

c.

Thank You, mighty kind of ya
  • losergood2011
    losergood2011 Posts: 172 Member
    I'm in this has been timely - I want to cut back from my current 3 -4 mixed drinks on fri sat (the weekend) so I was happy to see this

funny been batting it around for a year or so and have done a couple of Primal challenges for 21 days no problem but I do like to sit and relax with the hubby on our porch on the weekends.
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    NormInv wrote: »
    My current thoughts are, it was impossible for me to stop just 3/4 weeks ago and now I'm back in control. This may indicate I can't do the middle ground.

I do have a certain sense of loss, if that's the right word, knowing I may never enjoy another drink again. Guess I'll get over it.

You seem to know that you can’t handle the middle ground. I even remember you saying that back around February or somewhere in that timeframe. I guess the next step is figuring out if that really is he truth. Then applying it.
  • spygirl2014
    spygirl2014 Posts: 53 Member
    OMG!!! Has anyone ever lost a day while being SOBER??? I had a "Twilight Zone" moment yesterday when I woke up thinking it was Monday. I even showed up at one of my jobs for work!! The whole family was home & I asked if they were still on vacation??? I would switch my day to Thursday and they said, "NO, it's Sunday" AND I said, "NO, it's Monday!!" I KNOW whoever it was recently that made a suggestion to me "#1 put down the wine," is likely thinking the same thing right now if they are reading this, but this was a stone-cold, sober moment!!

It frieked me out! I began to consider early-onset dementia but then thought that I didn't actually forget what day it was, I just thought it was a different day. LOL I remember having a dream about work the night before & when I awoke thought it was Monday. I don't normally listen to the radio & never looked at the day on my devices, not even the date....I'm driving through town thinking WOW, it's pretty quiet today, maybe everyone's on vacation.....little did I know that my brain was on vacation! Too funny!!

Oh well, now today feels like "Groundhog Day!!" If anyone has had any kind of similar experience, please share.

I have not only once, but twice now have gone to the airport for flights that were ticketed for a different day. Granted, I travel a lot, but it was truly Groundhog Day as I've had to repeat the awful 4 am run out of the house and all the *kitten* that goes with it!
  • RubyRed427
    @NormInv I think having a sense of loss is normal- it's an ingrained habit. And I am proud of you too!
  • RubyRed427
    I'm in this has been timely - I want to cut back from my current 3 -4 mixed drinks on fri sat (the weekend) so I was happy to see this

funny been batting it around for a year or so and have done a couple of Primal challenges for 21 days no problem but I do like to sit and relax with the hubby on our porch on the weekends.

I can see how the ritual of sitting on the porch is wonderful. Maybe try to substitute with some tea or a mock-tail.
  • ErynVee
    ErynVee Posts: 187 Member
    Hi Guys! I'm back from vacation. Had an AF trip- my norm last year would have been 4 drinks a day times 7 days. I saved a lot of calories, I think. I hit over 13,000 steps each day and had a 19,500 step day. I know that I wouldn't have had the energy to do all that walking last year. I am nearly done with Jack Vale's book Kick the Drink Easily. I liked it because it debunked all the reasons we think we drink. Like boredom, depression, celebrations, stress.... he says alcohol does not improve any of these. Reading it was like sitting with a life coach. It was pretty good.

I think for me, after I get past about 10 days AF my brain starts to say "Hey, I can handle anything. ". and I start to see myself in the mirror more positively (skin brighter, belly flatter). It helped that my extended family just shares a bottle of wine at dinner each night- they're not big drinkers. It was much easier to stay AF this vacation than my girl's weekend in January.

This Thursday, I will be indulging- it's my birthday and I"m going out with 8 girlfriends, so I don't think I"ll have the wherewithal to abstain. I hope to one day though. I hope one day I wont view a birthday as an excuse to have a few drinks. Baby Steps right now.

@CSYounce Welcome to our thread. Like @NovusDies says go to the first page of this thread and you will find tons of great resources we all gathered through our time together.

That’s a fantastic achievement! Maybe I’ll check out that book!
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    NormInv wrote: »
    My current thoughts are, it was impossible for me to stop just 3/4 weeks ago and now I'm back in control. This may indicate I can't do the middle ground.

I do have a certain sense of loss, if that's the right word, knowing I may never enjoy another drink again. Guess I'll get over it.

Yes, it IS a loss giving up alcohol, it is a huge adjustment in lifestyle & there is a grieving process. SO glad you are in the zone & back in control.
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    @spygirl2014 Thank you for sharing. Nice to know I'm not alone in messing up!! Yours sounds way worse though.....4 a.m. TWICE!! Yuk!!
  • RubyRed427
    @losergood2011 Hey there! Welcome to our group! Stay positive and see the first page of this thread with wonderful tips and tricks!! You can do it! Check in as often as you want!
  • trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    GardenMama I had crazy sugar cravings in the beginning and indulged to some extent. I am over it now. In fact I crave less sugar than before. I think about evening snacks now as I do have more room for food calories. I used to skimp on food to leave room for wine.
  • RubyRed427
    @GardenMama129 Thanks for sharing your story! Congrats on 8 days AF! Annie Grace is awesome- I view her as a friend. She's so down to earth that way. Happy you are doing well! Xo