• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    mcw2018mfp wrote: »
    Aiming for 50 Miles

July 1 - 3 miles 35:00 Happy Canada Day
    (Snip)
    July 15 - The Moose Is Loose 10k trail run
    Goal- under 60 minutes

You must be my neighbour... either that or we have similarly named local races! Thought about signing up for the Moose 10K but it's my anniversary weekend.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    07/01/18 :::: 3.1 :::: 3.1
    07/02/18 :::: 5.5 :::: 8.6
    07/03/18 :::: 3.0 :::: 11.5
    07/04/18 :::: 5.6 :::: 17.1
    07/05/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 17.1
    07/06/18 :::: 2.0 :::: 19.2
    07/07/18 :::: 3.8 :::: 22.9
    07/08/18 :::: 9.4 :::: 32.4
    07/09/18 :::: 4.1 :::: 36.4
    07/10/18 :::: 3.8 :::: 40.3/ 130 miles goal

Still some back muscle pain this morning. I took it very easy again for my morning warm-up run and circuit training session.

Hanging in there close to on track for the mileage goal for the month at about 1/3 of the way in. Marathon training fear level is about code orange "getting pretty scary". A bit too focused on number of miles and feeling behind in it. Plus having just done the Boilermaker 15k and thinking about running a race with almost twice the number of people and almost 3 times the distance has me a bit freaked. Need to pace myself in the anxiety department as there are still 15 weeks left.

Catching up on a couple of conversations - first regarding eating before running. I definitely always need to eat first, no matter the distance. I usually have some yogurt, granola and a banana. Plus coffee. I am starting to experiment with toast and peanut butter and banana instead. For the race this weekend I ate at home early and then had a protein bar when we got there so I wouldn't get too hungry.

As for being a real runner - I guess I'm not as I have never pooped in the woods, and I hope not to. But I have taken a really good fall even before crossing the starting line at a race. At the Wineglass HM last year I tripped over a cone in the crowd and bloodied both knees and probably cracked a rib - but at least severely bruised it. Somehow I still managed to get a PR. Adrenaline fueled! I've had a couple of less spectacular falls and near falls. I'm not the most graceful gazelle out there.

• workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    welcome @tytilghman !

@LaDispute57 I usually end up kicking mine on the way to the bathroom in the night so I feel you about looking for my shoes...
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Started off the running week with an easy (lol) 5K-ish. I lol because if this is supposed to be easy by now, then I’m doing something wrong. I mean, I definitely have times where it feels like I’m flying - my third mile today was blink-and-you-miss-it after almost giving up when my watch buzzed at mile two and I realized I still had a mile and a half to go after misjudging my surroundings and thinking I was on the home stretch.

For real though, I do not get these people I see casually chatting while they maintain what must be a sub-ten-minute-mile pace, looking like they never sweated a day in their lives. When I was just getting started I stuck to the run-as-slow-as-possible rule and it worked, but it’s never been “easy.” It wasn’t even that humid today and I was sweating buckets after the first half a mile. I know, I know, comparison is the thief of joy and I’m still a beginner and I'm faster than everyone on the couch and so on and so forth. BUT COME ON, I passed two women in sports bras with real life visible abs running the other way this morning. And here I am, huffing and puffing away like a dumpy little tea pot in compression shorts.

You just described me to a T. You just left out the incessant jiggling part.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    well you had the muster @RespectTheKitty
    i've got no muster
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Well folks, this week is not starting out well.

My energy levels have been near zero. I mustered a 3-mile walk/hike thing last night, but when I got home my entire body felt achy, like I had the flu or something. This morning I am still zero energy, and my legs are super stiff and I'm just feeling all sorts of run down.

This could mean 1 of 2 things: either 1. I'm getting sick, or 2. I'm experiencing withdrawal symptoms from the medication I recently reduced. I'm more inclined to go with option 2 since I am no stranger to medication withdrawal, plus the particular medication I cut has a really long half-life, so it makes sense that it would be hitting me now.

Regardless, I feel like *kitten*. I may try another walk tonight if my legs don't want to complain too much. But running is a little too much for me to handle right now. Sigh. Can I tell you how much I hate mental illness and medication??

Sorry you're not feeling well - I feel extremely fortunate that my medications have remained mostly stable over the years, but I definitely recognize the rough bits. Take care of yourself and do what you need to - that road/trail/treadmill will still be there when stuff stabilizes a bit.

Team Dumpy Tea Pot fist-bump!
  • Teerai
    Teerai Posts: 243 Member
    edited July 2018
    I. HAVE. NEVER. EXPERIENCED. THE. MYTHICAL. RUNNER'S. HIGH. Full stop.

Frankly, I think y'all are putting me on and it does not exist. Seriously, y'all are nuts. :lol:
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Both of these are like unicorns to me! Keep wishing for both, but have yet to experience either :'(

The Runners High is a moment or series of moments where you feel like you could run forever.
    You might not even feel your feet on the ground.
    For those moments there is no other universe except where you are.
    Not like any other buzz or joy.

May I suggest trying this method my HS track coach had us do to introduce us to it. (only for people in good running shape)

Make sure you are rested, hydrated and glucose levels in muscles are high (not forced with sugar but well-fed)
    Stomach relatively empty but not necessarily fasted.
    Muscles well stretched - yes take ten mins to work out kinks in whole body
    Do nice warm up jog to get heart rate above resting and stiffness ‘shaken out’

When you feel warmed up and you have an open track, burst with every ounce of strength you have for as far as you can full out. Use every muscle and feel the arm power too. Don’t think about form, just GO!
    If you need to look over your shoulder and imagine a tiger chasing you, it might help.
    8jasybj2h3ke.jpeg
    Dinner!!

Basically, while fresh, you demand a full release of adrenaline and burn it out.
    In your mind, you let go and just push as hard as you can, harder than you think you can.

Your fitness level determines the length of the high because fatigue brings you back to earth.
    Part of it is physiological recognition but there is an aspect of training your body to release the adrenaline too.

If you are overweight or not in some shape please don’t try yet.
    It will strengthen a seasoned runner but can cause injury to a body not in condition.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    So er @LaDispute57 - is the second picture you posted you after rolling about in the second sign of a trail runner? Just wondering......

I wouldn’t recommend it you know. I mean, I know dogs like to roll in stuff but.....
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Started off the running week with an easy (lol) 5K-ish. I lol because if this is supposed to be easy by now, then I’m doing something wrong. I mean, I definitely have times where it feels like I’m flying - my third mile today was blink-and-you-miss-it after almost giving up when my watch buzzed at mile two and I realized I still had a mile and a half to go after misjudging my surroundings and thinking I was on the home stretch.

For real though, I do not get these people I see casually chatting while they maintain what must be a sub-ten-minute-mile pace, looking like they never sweated a day in their lives. When I was just getting started I stuck to the run-as-slow-as-possible rule and it worked, but it’s never been “easy.” It wasn’t even that humid today and I was sweating buckets after the first half a mile. I know, I know, comparison is the thief of joy and I’m still a beginner and I'm faster than everyone on the couch and so on and so forth. BUT COME ON, I passed two women in sports bras with real life visible abs running the other way this morning. And here I am, huffing and puffing away like a dumpy little tea pot in compression shorts.

On the other hand, I’m kind of glad it’s hard. I mean, it’s not that hard - I don’t feel like barfing or dying during or after, there are awesome bits on almost every run, and oh yeah, that runners’ high. I live in a beautiful place and even if the weather is a little rough at times, it's not that rough. And it feels good to know that I started the day by doing something hard and kind of unpleasant. It sort of puts things in perspective.

On the other other hand, I do need to get my snacking under control, because running or not, I’ve regained about ten pounds since the beginning of May and that nonsense needs to stop. And to be clear, when your spouse tells you that they’re worried about having regained some weight, the correct response is not to scoff. At least not if you’re married to me.

JULY MILES:
    7/1 Su - 1:01:09 - 5.43
    7/2 Mo - lifted heavy things
    7/3 Tu - 0:20:33 - 2.01
    7/4 We - 0:32:46 - 3.13
    7/5 Th - rest
    7/6 Fr - 0:20:19 - 2.01, lifted heavy things
    7/7 Sa - rest
    7/8 Su - 1:10:32 - 5.84
    7/9 Mo - lifted heavy things
    7/10 Tu - 0:36:20 - 3.41

Total: 21.83/50 miles

Races!
    July 4: Red, White and Boom! 5K Chip time: 0:32:20
    August 25: The Glo Run Night Race 5K
    October 6: Twin Cities Marathon Weekend 5K

What does everyone eat before an early morning run? I need something and have been having a piece of toast but having longer runs I need something I can eat quickly when I get up. I was thinking of energy chews.

I often run on an empty stomach, sometimes I drink part or all of a cup of coffee with vanilla or caramel protein shake mixed in. If I do eat I'll usually have a quarter to a half a pack of belVita Bites, maybe some blueberries and a string cheese - too much food prep in the AM isn't my jam. I do try and eat something before longer runs but I'm not sure I've noticed a difference other than this past weekend, but I wasn't exactly in fighting shape for a few reasons there.

I love this post so much I read it out loud to my husband. He says, "Sing it, sister."

Re: compression shorts. I have serious inner thigh skin after a 125 lb weight loss, so I thought I was doomed to a life of compression shorts. Then I discovered 2 in 1 shorts, which have a lightweight compression layer under normal looking running shorts. There's a distinct hierarchy at the park where I run, with what I call "the pear shaped ladies" huffing and puffing in capris, versus gazelle-like creatures with visible abs bounding along in running shorts, and it's so nice to blend in with the visible abs crowd, even if I'm faking it. (Lift my shirt and you will see, yes, more loose skin.)

Re: fueling. I'm on metformin which slows the release of glucose by the liver, so I need to fuel even for fairly short runs or I get uncomfortably low. Orange slices are God's natural gels. Frozen orange slices on a hot day may be the actual food of the gods.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,373 Member
    @runsonespresso - What about having a bar of some kind. Not necessarily a protein bar but one with carbs and protein and of course gluten free. Something like a Picky bar (https://pickybars.com/pages/ingredient-science) or a Perfect bar (https://perfectbar.com/what-makes-it-perfect/) both of which I think are gluten free but have a good mix of protein and carbs? I love both of them and my Costco carries a variety bag of almond butter and peanut butter Perfect bars in a mini size. I have even used them for mid-race fuel. If you were going on a longer run maybe have a Picky bar and a spoonful of peanut butter with some crackers.
    I don't think energy chews would give you enough calories.
    @abutcher2122 - I was thinking yesterday (even told my DH) that this is classic 'earthquake' weather! Hoping there are not more on the horizon.
    @MegaMooseEsq - It takes time for running to get easier and I think that is why so many people quit. They keep thinking, like you, that it should be easier by now... Honestly it took me months before it really felt 'good' at times. We all still have runs that are terrible that feels like we are just sucking wind and crawling along. Even the best and the fastest like @mobycarp and @juliet3455, etc. have bad runs. So hang in there. It will get better and believe it or not, slowly you will get faster and be able to go further!
    @AprilRN10 - I have fallen a few times... once when the dog was younger and decided he wanted to see the bunny on the other side of the path and crossed in front of me. The last time though there was absolutely no reason. Nothing on the path, nothing to trip over, no reason. I was running one minute and the next I was on the ground with bloody hands and knees. @workaholic_nurse - I don't run on sidewalks because I do trip over breaks, and leaves and stuff that is on them and doesn't get cleaned up.
    I think the description that @MegaMooseEsq had of the runners high being that absence of stress could be right on. Running was the only way I felt that relief from stress at work and wanting to just keep running and running!
    @Teerai - love your description of a runner's high and running like the tiger is after you!

Too hot and humid to run intervals as planned, outside so headed to the gym and the treadmill. Plan called for 10x400 at 5k pace. I ended up with 14x400 because I wanted to try and do some at my previous 5k pace, if I could. Really drove my HR up but did mange to get 4 sets in at under 9:30 pace. I am pretty sure I could not maintain that pace for an entire 5k however but it is good to know I can actually run at that pace again!
    Date........Miles.......Total
    07/01......7.64.......7.64
    07/02......0.00.......7.64 - +Agility
    07/03......5.01.....12.65 - +Strength Training
    07/04......8.36.....21.01
    07/05......0.00.....21.01 - +Strength Training
    07/06......4.25.....25.26 - Agility Trial +Treadmill Intervals
    07/07......0.00.....25.26 - Agility Trial
    07/08......0.00.....25.26 - Agility Trial
    07/09......5.97.....31.23
    07/10......4.54.....35.77 - Treadmill Intervals + Strength Training

exercise.png

My completed and upcoming races. Let me know if you will be running them too.
    02/04/18 - Surf City Half Marathon
    05/05/18 - Cinco de Miles 5k

07/22/18 - San Francisco 2nd Half Marathon
    12/15/18 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
    02/03/19 - Surf City Half Marathon
    05/11/19 - Santa Barbara Wine Country Half Marathon
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Teerai wrote: »
    I. HAVE. NEVER. EXPERIENCED. THE. MYTHICAL. RUNNER'S. HIGH. Full stop.

Frankly, I think y'all are putting me on and it does not exist. Seriously, y'all are nuts. :lol:
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Both of these are like unicorns to me! Keep wishing for both, but have yet to experience either :'(

The Runners High is a moment or series of moments where you feel like you could run forever.
    You might not even feel your feet on the ground.
    For those moments there is no other universe except where you are.
    Not like any other buzz or joy.

May I suggest trying this method my HS track coach had us do to introduce us to it. (only for people in good running shape)

Make sure you are rested, hydrated and glucose levels in muscles are high (not forced with sugar but well-fed)
    Stomach relatively empty but not necessarily fasted.
    Muscles well stretched - yes take ten mins to work out kinks in whole body
    Do nice warm up jog to get heart rate above resting and stiffness ‘shaken out’

When you feel warmed up and you have an open track, burst with every ounce of strength you have for as far as you can full out. Use every muscle and feel the arm power too. Don’t think about form, just GO!
    If you need to look over your shoulder and imagine a tiger chasing you, it might help.
    8jasybj2h3ke.jpeg
    Dinner!!

Basically, while fresh, you demand a full release of adrenaline and burn it out.
    In your mind, you let go and just push as hard as you can, harder than you think you can.

Your fitness level determines the length of the high because fatigue brings you back to earth.
    Part of it is physiological recognition but there is an aspect of training your body to release the adrenaline too.

If you are overweight or not in some shape please don’t try yet.
    It will strengthen a seasoned runner but can cause injury to a body not in condition.

Runners world would disagree with your coach, in fact, they said DO NOT go full hard :D

https://www.runnersworld.com/training/a20851505/how-to-achieve-a-runners-high/

Interestingly, runner's high is pretty much like getting high on drugs (at least chemically in your brain) which is another thing I have never experienced. :smile:

There is A LOT of reading about it. But I still think it is a myth and y'all are pulling my leg. :lol:
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    @runsonespresso - What about having a bar of some kind. Not necessarily a protein bar but one with carbs and protein and of course gluten free. Something like a Picky bar (https://pickybars.com/pages/ingredient-science) or a Perfect bar (https://perfectbar.com/what-makes-it-perfect/) both of which I think are gluten free but have a good mix of protein and carbs? I love both of them and my Costco carries a variety bag of almond butter and peanut butter Perfect bars in a mini size. I have even used them for mid-race fuel. If you were going on a longer run maybe have a Picky bar and a spoonful of peanut butter with some crackers.
    I don't think energy chews would give you enough calories.

I haven't tried either of those but they are both gf. I will have to check them out. I hadn't really thought of a bar. I usually have them as an afternoon snack. These runs are between 40-60 minutes during the week so not too long. I have time to make a little more before my long runs on Sunday since I don't have to commute and be to work by 7. LOL
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member

On the other hand, I’m kind of glad it’s hard. I mean, it’s not that hard - I don’t feel like barfing or dying during or after, there are awesome bits on almost every run, and oh yeah, that runners’ high. I live in a beautiful place and even if the weather is a little rough at times, it's not that rough. And it feels good to know that I started the day by doing something hard and kind of unpleasant. It sort of puts things in perspective.

On the other other hand, I do need to get my snacking under control, because running or not, I’ve regained about ten pounds since the beginning of May and that nonsense needs to stop. And to be clear, when your spouse tells you that they’re worried about having regained some weight, the correct response is not to scoff. At least not if you’re married to me.

JULY MILES:
    7/1 Su - 1:01:09 - 5.43
    7/2 Mo - lifted heavy things
    7/3 Tu - 0:20:33 - 2.01
    7/4 We - 0:32:46 - 3.13
    7/5 Th - rest
    7/6 Fr - 0:20:19 - 2.01, lifted heavy things
    7/7 Sa - rest
    7/8 Su - 1:10:32 - 5.84
    7/9 Mo - lifted heavy things
    7/10 Tu - 0:36:20 - 3.41

Total: 21.83/50 miles

Races!
    July 4: Red, White and Boom! 5K Chip time: 0:32:20
    August 25: The Glo Run Night Race 5K
    October 6: Twin Cities Marathon Weekend 5K

What does everyone eat before an early morning run? I need something and have been having a piece of toast but having longer runs I need something I can eat quickly when I get up. I was thinking of energy chews.

I often run on an empty stomach, sometimes I drink part or all of a cup of coffee with vanilla or caramel protein shake mixed in. If I do eat I'll usually have a quarter to a half a pack of belVita Bites, maybe some blueberries and a string cheese - too much food prep in the AM isn't my jam. I do try and eat something before longer runs but I'm not sure I've noticed a difference other than this past weekend, but I wasn't exactly in fighting shape for a few reasons there.

I love this post so much I read it out loud to my husband. He says, "Sing it, sister."

Re: compression shorts. I have serious inner thigh skin after a 125 lb weight loss, so I thought I was doomed to a life of compression shorts. Then I discovered 2 in 1 shorts, which have a lightweight compression layer under normal looking running shorts. There's a distinct hierarchy at the park where I run, with what I call "the pear shaped ladies" huffing and puffing in capris, versus gazelle-like creatures with visible abs bounding along in running shorts, and it's so nice to blend in with the visible abs crowd, even if I'm faking it. (Lift my shirt and you will see, yes, more loose skin.)

Re: fueling. I'm on metformin which slows the release of glucose by the liver, so I need to fuel even for fairly short runs or I get uncomfortably low. Orange slices are God's natural gels. Frozen orange slices on a hot day may be the actual food of the gods.

Haha, I was totally running in capris leggings last year before I started phasing out the cotton. I don't really mind the compression shorts, but I might look into some of those 2 in 1 style. I think I'm too short to ever qualify as a gazelle-like creature no matter what I'm wearing, but at least I can feel like one!

And holy buckets, 125 pounds is fantastic!