Catfishing on MFP

Replies

• Misty_1375
    Misty_1375 Posts: 759 Member
    Misty_1375 wrote: »
    Actually just learned of and confirmed a catfish here the other day. Pretty sad.

I’m a full on catfish 😂

I knew it! You are wayyy to fine to be real.

Dang it! I’m busted. You know catfishing is truly awful when there’s a reality show about it.

I admit, it’s a guilty pleasure. And Nev is :love:

It is a guilty pleasure. I can’t believe some of those relationships go on for YEARS and those people haven’t seen the person they are supposed to be “in love” with. RED FLAG!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Actually just learned of and confirmed a catfish here the other day. Pretty sad.

I’m a full on catfish 😂

Dang it! I’m busted. You know catfishing is truly awful when there’s a reality show about it.

It is a guilty pleasure. I can’t believe some of those relationships go on for YEARS and those people haven’t seen the person they are supposed to be “in love” with. RED FLAG!

It beats talking to people in real life.
  • Breezybreeze7
    Breezybreeze7 Posts: 1,044 Member
    edited July 2018
    LMNOP55 wrote: »
    Maybe I’m odd, but I like to chat with everyone, whether I know he is a catfish or not. I don’t send pics. I will have a conversation about whatever. If they are only interested in the pics, they leave on their own. Sometimes, I just think people are lonely and need someone to talk to. Someone made a good point about low self esteem or self confidence.

What's your KIK?

Ha! I don’t have kik. Sorry. What’s your address? ;)
  • cee134
    Maybe I’m odd, but I like to chat with everyone, whether I know he is a catfish or not. I don’t send pics. I will have a conversation about whatever. If they are only interested in the pics, they leave on their own. Sometimes, I just think people are lonely and need someone to talk to. Someone made a good point about low self esteem or self confidence.

What's your KIK?

2 Times Square, New York, NY 10036
  • Breezybreeze7
    cee134 wrote: »

What's your KIK?

Awesome! I’ll be there at 6 pm.
  • cee134
    cee134 wrote: »

What's your KIK?

Awesome! I’ll be there at 6 pm.

You won't regret it.
  • toughmuther
    toughmuther Posts: 27 Member
    #catfishlivesmatter
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member

Im kinda the same..
  • AmberGlitterSparkles
    AmberGlitterSparkles Posts: 699 Member

I’m a full on catfish 😂

I think I’m most cases the see the red flags. They just don’t want to believe them. Maybe they have some self esteem issues of their own. Or they’re really shy and struggle talking to the opposite sex. They so desperately want to be loved that they look past the obvious signs. Or they have been talking to this person for so long. They have assured them they love them no matter what. They couldn’t believe that they would lie to them, or don’t want to believe it. When the sad thing is I think a lot of times maybe the other person would have accepted them if they were up front and honest to begin with.
  • TomFit18
    TomFit18 Posts: 2,581 Member
    21aono6hqo69.gif
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    I work at a bank and one of our customers is obviously being catfished. His Facebook page shows he recently "got married" to some super hot chick with a generic name like Sarah Jones who lives out in California. He's been sending money to someone several times a month out of his account. Poor guy won't believe it's not real.
  • AmberGlitterSparkles
    I work at a bank and one of our customers is obviously being catfished. His Facebook page shows he recently "got married" to some super hot chick with a generic name like Sarah Jones who lives out in California. He's been sending money to someone several times a month out of his account. Poor guy won't believe it's not real.

That’s sad :(
  • Breezybreeze7

Is this even proper to share about a customer?
  • AmberGlitterSparkles

As long as she doesn’t give personal details I think it’s ok
  • Breezybreeze7
    edited July 2018

Fair enough but what if the customer is on MFP too?
  • bojack5
    bojack5 Posts: 2,859 Member

Fair enough but what if the customer is on MFP too?

I think the embarrassment here will be nothing compared to what's coming his way.....
  • slessofme
    slessofme Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited July 2018

I don't chat with many people, but I'm the same way. Pictures beyond the couple that I've posted in threads won't happen and I never take it seriously, so I don't see the harm in it. I'm simultaneously impressed by and concerned about people that believe anything others on the internet communicate. If there are so many catfish, trolls, returning users that try to mislead their previous friends or see how long it takes for them to be recognized... It's a significant leap of faith. I'm sure I'm missing the potential to make a small group of good friends, but I guess I just don't have the faith necessary.