Deadlift advice

Hi! So recently I've been incorporating deadlifts and I'm confident with my form. I just started, so I'm not going that heavy in weight, but I have a question. I usually rack two 10lb plates on each side and then a 25 on each side for my last set. However, I'm pretty short & put the bar up on a step platform as seen in the picture, because I noticed when I just do it on the floor(i can't even get my feet under the bar with the 10lb plates and I keep the platform there for the 25lbs) that I have issue with lift off and my back is more likely to round. Just wondering of anyone else has to set their deadlits up like this, if it's normal for my height (5'2) and if im robbing my gains dkquvppygszq.jpg

Replies

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    I am not sure why you can't get under the bar properly with the 10 lb plates, but put the 25s on first and your problem is solved.
  • digidoomed
    digidoomed Posts: 151 Member
    I am not sure why you can't get under the bar properly with the 10 lb plates, but put the 25s on first and your problem is solved.

With the 10lbs plates I can't properly get my feet under the bar. when I do the 25lbs plates I can, but im worried about how I seem to have to stretch to get the bar back on the ground when im coming down on the lift since I dont use the platform when I put the 25lbe plates on
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    I purposefully use small plates so I have further to lift - it has made me stronger in getting the weight off the floor. If you have the right set up position you shouldn't have a problem getting down without a rounded back - perhaps get a trainer to help you?
  • digidoomed
    I feel like people arent understanding me. when I use 10lb plates, the bar isnt even that high off the ground. I cant even shimmy my feet under it
  • livingleanlivingclean
    digidoomed wrote: »
    I feel like people arent understanding me. when I use 10lb plates, the bar isnt even that high off the ground. I cant even shimmy my feet under it

How big are your feet?
    I can't say I understand as they don't look that small in the picture..
  • digidoomed
    edited July 2018
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    That is fine to stack up the plates or use something to set them on. Ideally the gym would have training plates or bumper plates which are ten lbs in weight but similar size to 45s. The bar for deadlift should be up mid shin for the starting point. The smaller 10s and even some 25s don’t have the diameter (or maybe it is circumference)... basically the size is off if don’t have Olympic plates or training plates that are of proper size for the lift.

These are the 10lb plates they have. When I use just these, the bar is where it is in the picture so you can see the issue im having there and why I use the platforms. Is this a better visual? With the platform, im set mid shin
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Bumper plates are the only other solution to the problem until you hit 135 for warm-ups.
  • digidoomed
    edited July 2018
    Bumper plates are the only other solution to the problem until you hit 135 for warm-ups.

Can you please explain what you mean by that? Is there a difference between bumper plates and the weightss that are on the racks? Sorry, I'm new to the termonology
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Big "rubbery" looking plates that are the same size (diameter/height) as a standard iron 45 plate (bumpers are in 10, 25, 35, 45lbs and kgs too). Does your gym have something that looks like that?
  • digidoomed
    edited July 2018
    Big "rubbery" looking plates that are the same size (diameter/height) as a standard iron 45 plate (bumpers are in 10, 25, 35, 45lbs and kgs too). Does your gym have something that looks like that?

No, we dont have bumper plates then, just the regular circular weights you'd use for squats/bench/whatever. That's why I was using those platforms to get some height for the bar. Im just wondering if this is acceptable. I understand once I get to 135 that wont be a problem
  • livingleanlivingclean
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    That is fine to stack up the plates or use something to set them on. Ideally the gym would have training plates or bumper plates which are ten lbs in weight but similar size to 45s. The bar for deadlift should be up mid shin for the starting point. The smaller 10s and even some 25s don’t have the diameter (or maybe it is circumference)... basically the size is off if don’t have Olympic plates or training plates that are of proper size for the lift.

These are the 10lb plates they have. When I use just these, the bar is where it is in the picture so you can see the issue im having there and why I use the platforms. Is this a better visual? With the platform, im set mid shin

I'd take your lifting shoes off (if that's what they are) and go from the floor - I think that would help you get stronger off the bottom then heavier/bigger weights higher off the floor will feel easier.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    I don't think there's anything wrong with what you are doing. I wouldn't use plastic steps tho, maybe some wood blocks with a v notch would be better. Also, since for your last lift you go up to 135 anyway, why don't you just take off the tens and put 45s on?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited July 2018
    It's fine to do what you are doing. Here's an article related to this topic:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/deadlifts-dirty-secret

I don't have 45s at home. My biggest plates are 35s, which are about 4" smaller in diameter (2" smaller in radius) than 45s. I used to stack them on plates (cement filled plates) and now stack them on horse mats to make raise the bar generally equal to where it would be with 45s.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    That's fine to do what you're doing and people often raise the bar up to where it would be if 45lb plates were on there. But I agree with others that maybe use something more substantial than those steps because I would worry about damaging them. Although I do deadlifts with 35lb plates from the ground :# this thread is making me think I need to raise them up a little
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member

If it is just those small tens then yes, you are fine with setting up on blocks or creating a platform.