Powerlifting Meet - 2 Days Out, Weight?

Serious tips needed! I’m at 112.8 lbs. and holding, despite excess cardio, strictly measured & weighed macros and even sauna time. Ideally I want to be 112 headed into meet day just to be *safe* and at weight. Think this plateua is potentially from water retention due to over training and increased cardio? Thinking about taking the next two days off before the meet to fully recover but don’t want to gain or take any chances being so close at only 2 days out. Tips appreciated!

* Side note: a weight loss category isn’t coming up for me, so I put this in the bodybuilding category, sorry admins! *

Replies

• ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    This close to a meet I would stop training , .8 lbs is not much, I would cut carbs to lose the water weight. Drink water today , restrict it tomorrow. is the weigh in Friday?
    Do you weigh in the day of the meet? if so monitor your weight closely, shoot for 109- 110 to allow for different scales. then a fast acting carb & water, maybe creatine & protein right after weigh in

Is it a 24 hr weight in? if so you will have ample time to eat & carb up after
  • ecjim
    or you can sweat it out - sauna - steam room - go out side
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    ecjim wrote: »
    or you can sweat it out - sauna - steam room - go out side

I have been using a sauna daily for two 15-minute sessions. Haven't seen a difference, frustratingly. Weigh in is Saturday AM (right before the meet). I need to be under 114.8 lbs., so 112.8 lbs. has me 2 lbs. under but there's always a chance of scale discrepancies. I've cross checked on the gym scale as well and came up about the same, so technically I'm *safe* but I don't want to gain. I know my body needs to rest, but so so worried that cutting out all forms of exercise for the next two days is going to make me add on a pound or so, despite staying within a deficit.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited July 2018
    You should be resting, for sure! No exercise at this point. Why would cutting exercise cause you to gain weight?

When do you weigh in? First thing in the morning? If yes, I think you'll be fine. If not, that's a whole lot of different issues.

What federation is it? Some will allow you to re-weigh if you're close. Weigh in as early as possible, and if you're over, hit a stationary bike or treadmill until the last minute then re-weigh.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    You should be resting, for sure! No exercise at this point. Why would cutting exercise cause you to gain weight?

When do you weigh in? First thing in the morning? If yes, I think you'll be fine. If not, that's a whole lot of different issues.

What federation is it? Some will allow you to re-weigh if you're close. Weigh in as early as possible, and if you're over, hit a stationary bike or treadmill until the last minute then re-weigh.

USAPL, I can re-weigh if I'm over. This is my first time "making weight" for a meet. Last year I was .3 kg over and it was my first meet so didn't try to cut (thought I was too far off from weight but my scale was wrong), I ate before weigh-ins, and then didn't even try to sweat out the .3 in fear of losing strength.

This year I've cut for 2-months leading up to it, am prepared to water cut the day before and not eat or drink until after weigh-ins. But I'm still nervous LOL.

And because I've been doing such intense cardio to stay within a deep deficit, just being paranoid I guess. I know my body usually responds pretty well to rest days, but you know, over thinking everything at this point.
  • quiksylver296

USAPL, I can re-weigh if I'm over. This is my first time "making weight" for a meet. Last year I was .3 kg over and it was my first meet so didn't try to cut (thought I was too far off from weight but my scale was wrong), I ate before weigh-ins, and then didn't even try to sweat out the .3 in fear of losing strength.

This year I've cut for 2-months leading up to it, am prepared to water cut the day before and not eat or drink until after weigh-ins. But I'm still nervous LOL.

And because I've been doing such intense cardio to stay within a deep deficit, just being paranoid I guess. I know my body usually responds pretty well to rest days, but you know, over thinking everything at this point.

You got this! You've got a 2 lb cushion.
  • ecjim

You got this! You've got a 2 lb cushion.

Ditto - you're good- 2 lbs - relax
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited July 2018
    You’re fine at your weight, you don’t have to be exactly on a whole number. While you’ll be atop of the 52 weight class, with a two pound margin you should be fine. However, if you plan to water cut a little (and I don’t recommend you do), be sure to bring plenty of salty snacks and Gatorade or Pedialyte to balance out your electrolytes. It’s common to feel a little dizzy because of so much excess water consumption and elimination the day of your meet, and also to become easier fatigued later on. I know this from coaching and first hand. If worse comes to worse and you don’t make weight, you’ll be at the bottom of the 57 and in an Open, small local meet, your weight doesn’t really matter too much if unless you’re competing in a Team.

I’m a State ref, and if you have a further questions, give a shout.

• quiksylver296
    How'd it go, @peaceout_aly???
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Yeah!!! Did you kick some serious *kitten* in regards to your previous PRs?