JUST FOR TODAY ....... One day at a time ..... Daily Commitment Thread for 2018

Replies

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,725 Member
    So, yeah, is this the thread where we are all talking about drinking water? Because I'm seriously out of step with the water consumption since I started my job. The siren call of the vending machine and a limitless supply of soda when I'm feeling a bit tired is pretty tough to resist. Plus I don't have a company compliant water bottle yet. Will remedy that this weekend, but until then I need to get my glasses in before I go to work at 3, I think.

Today's wrap up:

1. Eat only when hungry. :) Did really well with this today. I had planned a bigger meal for dinner, but I wasn't hungry for it, so I stopped.
    2. Log everything I eat and stay under calorie goal. :)
    3. Drink 64 oz of water before indulging in soda. :(
    4. Plan next week's eating and make a grocery list. :) Working on it now and will get it done and then reward myself with my guilty pleasure...General Hospital.

A company compliant water bottle? I have never heard such a thing. Why would it have to be a specific one?

To protect the computer equipment it has to have a screw top instead of one that just pops off and on in case I knock it over. So anything from the vending machine is fine because they only vend bottles, no cans, but my old trusty plastic bottle doesn't meet the standard.

Oh that makes sense to me now. I was thinking a specific brand LOL
  • Snowflake1968
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    mytime6630 wrote: »
    OK @Bex ---- are you drinking your water!!!!! Diet coach here checking on you today!

I will be today. Its 6am here. I'm in a bad mood because its 6am. Getting sick of being woken this early by the kids.
    My 4 year old is being a total nightmare, constantly, all day. I can't take it anymore. I've talked to her., shouted at her, put her in her room, put her on the step, pleaded with her, burst into tears begging her to stop and then even her dad got involved basically doing the same thing and she just did not stop.

Hence the awful day. I just don't know what to do anymore. She doesn't listen to a word I say. Not a word. Or she will for about 30 seconds before I'm having to tell her again.

Oh honey, what is she doing specifically? Is she the middle child?
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,186 Member

I went to see the Orthopedic surgeon today for the hip pain. I now have an appointment next week to see a Pain & Spine doctor and get an MRI. Ortho thinks I have two separate issues going and that both he and the Pain & Spine doctor may have to work together to try to get me walking better and with less pain. He thinks I have a labrum tear in my hip joint which he can operate on, but he also thinks I have a pinched nerve by my lumbar spine which is affecting the muscles in my left leg and causing muscle wasting. I'm not gonna lie. I felt defeated when I left. I drove to a parking lot, parked my car, called my husband and cried. I'm trying so hard to get healthy. But like my husband said...we can get through anything together, and he says I beat cancer and this isn't cancer, so we got this. I sure hope he's right. I'm feeling really discouraged today.

Sending lots of hugs, and hope you are feeling better today. There is nothing worse than hip or back pain.

And your husband is so right ... you have beat cancer - and this is not cancer. You'll get through this pain also, but in the meantime, take good care of yourself. There is a lot the doctors can do to help you. Just rest. Sometimes that is what you need to do.

I was walking a lot with a good friend, and she has developed terrible knee problems. THe doctor actually told her to stop walking until they heal ... that our bodies need breaks also. SO I hope you can just curl up with a good book, and take care of you.
    <3
  • mytime6630

I will be today. Its 6am here. I'm in a bad mood because its 6am. Getting sick of being woken this early by the kids.
    My 4 year old is being a total nightmare, constantly, all day. I can't take it anymore. I've talked to her., shouted at her, put her in her room, put her on the step, pleaded with her, burst into tears begging her to stop and then even her dad got involved basically doing the same thing and she just did not stop.

Hence the awful day. I just don't know what to do anymore. She doesn't listen to a word I say. Not a word. Or she will for about 30 seconds before I'm having to tell her again.

Isn't it fun!! OH, how I remember so much those days .... and I only had 2 kids! They seem to sense when we are tired, and its like they love to keep pushing buttons. Do they have a good TV show that they like .... just to give yourself a little break? I know I never wanted kids in front of the tv, but sometimes that was all that would work to quiet them down.

I used to keep a box of special little "toys" that I hid, and if the kids would be really bad, I would tell them if they did so and so, or helped extra, they would get to pick out a toy. They loved it. It was always cheap stuff from the dollar store, but that had helped save many a day for me.
    anyhow, remember, they will grow up faster than you realize. But being a mommy sometimes is tough. Hugs <3
  • mytime6630
    Menu planning done! I have a lot of stuff to use up so I actually don't have much to buy this weekend. Still, some good sales on mushrooms, bell peppers, avocados, walnuts and lots of stone fruits. Main dishes: lentil stew, lemon artichoke risotto, mushroom zucchini fajitas with guacamole.

All those veggies sounds SO good! Great job with the menu planning!
  • Snowflake1968
    So I did as @Snowflake1968 suggested and took a total mental health day. I sent almost the entire day reading. I finished 2 books and am more then half way through another. It felt good to do nothing but read. Although I will be honest, I ate like crap. I got take out for dinner because I was alone all afternoon and evening. But it was still a wonderful day. Although I had a whole list of things I wanted to get done that I didn't do. So now I'll have to do them over the weekend.

I'm now sitting at work looking at a folder full of emails and waiting to be yelled at for something I screwed up on Tuesday. I'm just really really hoping that the next 2 days goes super fast. I'm waiting to hear from my manager to see if she's coming back on Monday. Keep your fingers crossed and say some prayers that she is. This whole nightmare could be over shortly!

As for goals, I think I'll keep it simple today.

1. Log all food
    2. Drink 4 bottles of water
    3. Sleep by 12
    4. Stay calm at work
    5. Pray

I think that's all I'm going to do for today.

I hope that you enjoyed your mental health day and feel better. I truly hope you don't actually get yelled at at work. I have been managing people for over 20 years now. Yelling is not the way to gain respect or build a team. You need to coach and encourage. I truly believe people learn best from their mistakes. Praying your manager returns soon, you were so happy when you first started here it's sad to see you discontent now.
  • cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,470 Member
    Wowza! 40 new posts since yesterday evening! I'll catch up later, for now....

Recap W 7/11
    1) Walked dog before work while load of laundry in washer / 3.15 mi 56:07 / stretched = happy dog & happy me B)
    2) Prelogged all meals (leftovers + yellow beans tonight) & snacks / have 400+ net calories green ~ happy me, I can have extra snack or bigger portion of salmon or maybe that beer or glass of wine tonight :wink: = Net calories green 42, sodium -369, sugar -27, fiber & protein excellent & 12c water. :smiley: No wine or beer, but added cranberry oatmeal cookie ~ yum! :smiley:
    3) Move hourly / stairs breaks at work = Fitbit 14,721 steps, 250+ steps 14/14 (boom!) & 35 floors :smiley:
    4) Evening: make tea :smiley: / bring in laundry on line :smiley: & remembered socks/underwear still in dryer :smiley: all folded and upstairs :smiley: / refill birdfeeders (forgot last night) & check/refill birdbaths :smiley: / city band concert 7:30 decided to stay home / prep veggie snack for Th :smiley: kohlrabi / 1 more to-do? :smiley: meal planned/made grocery list & washed dishes
    5) Unplug 9:00 :smiley: / floss :( / retainers :( / bed & TV off 10:15 :s fell asleep before 10 watching TV in bed & eventually turned off TV (maybe cross-train or rest day Th a.m. (stormy weather predicted) / remember appt for oil change 8 a.m.)

JFT R 7/12 ~ decided to reset snooze alarm ~ rest day & car's oil change 8 a.m.
    1) All meals & snacks prelogged / stick w/ plan / keep net calories w/i 100 (allowed non-workout days)
    2) Move hourly (not counting waiting for car to be serviced) / stairs breaks at work
    3) Workday already stressful due to incompetence of others + impact on project deadline / b-r-e-a-t-h-e / adjust project one step at a time as needed & keep mgmt in loop
    4) Evening: grocery shop / make broccoli salad for F / prep veggie snack for F / 1-2 more to-do's
    5) Unplug 9:00 / FLOSS / RETAINERS / bed & TV off 10:15 (walk dog weather permitting F a.m. or cross-train)
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    junodog1 wrote: »
    We are new to the world of streaming TV. We've had Amazon Prime for over a year but just really started using the Video part. Then my daughter signed us into her Netflix account. We watch a few movies, but have just started watching series. We are not big binge TV watchers unless the weather is absolute crap; if we watch three episodes in a row that is a binge. We finished Rome (which really made me want to watch the "I, Claudius' series. Anyone ever see that back in the 70's?) and now we have started The Sopranos. I am not into the whole mafia glorification thing, but this is some good writing and storytelling.

I love to hear what others think is good to watch. Some things I have enjoyed in the world of commercial TV: Boston Legal; The West Wing; Law and Order; Star Trek; Family Guy; South Park; Big Bang Theory- especially the first couple of years when they were more geeky; NCIS; ER; Crossing Jordan; In Living Color; SCTV. My reality fixes have been the Amazing Race, Survivor and Hell's Kitchen.

So what should I put on my future list - and why?

I love all family type shows. My favourites that are on Netflix Canada, which is different than US is This is Us, Sons of Anarchy (even though its violent they do thing in the name of Family). I watched Season 1 of Good Girls on tv and my daughter told me Netflix just put it on there. It was good for a laugh and some drama. I am not a big binge watcher either. Except Grace and Frankie and The Ranch. I watch those two in one evening when they post a new season.

My husband found The Ranch on a recommendation from my daughter. He thought it was so funny that he did do a binge and watched all the seasons in a few days when we had a lot of rain. It was funny but I don't think I would binge it. A little too raunchy for me to take in more than one or two episodes at a time. ( I do not mind the humor, I just take it in smaller doses.) Son's of Anarchy? OK - added to the one day list. I do hear that the concept and work is good.

Thanks!
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    junodog1 wrote: »
    We are new to the world of streaming TV. We've had Amazon Prime for over a year but just really started using the Video part. Then my daughter signed us into her Netflix account. We watch a few movies, but have just started watching series. We are not big binge TV watchers unless the weather is absolute crap; if we watch three episodes in a row that is a binge. We finished Rome (which really made me want to watch the "I, Claudius' series. Anyone ever see that back in the 70's?) and now we have started The Sopranos. I am not into the whole mafia glorification thing, but this is some good writing and storytelling.

I love to hear what others think is good to watch. Some things I have enjoyed in the world of commercial TV: Boston Legal; The West Wing; Law and Order; Star Trek; Family Guy; South Park; Big Bang Theory- especially the first couple of years when they were more geeky; NCIS; ER; Crossing Jordan; In Living Color; SCTV. My reality fixes have been the Amazing Race, Survivor and Hell's Kitchen.

So what should I put on my future list - and why?

Couple of my favs are The Closer (on TNT 7 seasons) and its subsequent spin-off Major Crimes. I have the whole West Wing series, and love L&O, Big Bang Theory, NCIS, ER. I also watch lot of PBS series/shows. If available I will always watch reruns of Columbo, Murphy Brown, MASH, and Mary Tyler Moore Show.

We definitely have similar tastes. I remember when there was this wonderful two hour block with the Mary Tyler Moore Show, Bob Newhart Show and then an hour of Carol Burnett. Back then my family would sit together and watch TV; the teenagers and parents all found it funny. We also had a family jones going on for The Muppet Show.

Those same rascally parents also brought me to the world of PBS. Back when the Six Wives of Henry VIII and I,Claudius were racy TV. Now I catch NOVA when I can and love to stumble across the beautiful nature type shows. Needless to say I was addicted to Downton Abbey. I wish I had more time for quality TV, but my body needs movement more.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    edited July 2018
    JFT
    Went on a short walk before eating breakfast
    had 2 glasses of water
    had a good breakfast with a piece of fruit on the side
    fed my fish and my chipmunk friend outside :smiley:
    froze the bread that will be expiring tomorrow that way I'm not wasting any bread

left to do
    grocery shopping
    planning my meals for the week
    taking garbage out

My weight may have gone up last week, but I noticed this week one of my shirts is fitting better
  • Saragirl2
    Saragirl2 Posts: 630 Member

Love reading all the advice we share with one another (whether it's health or personal). Such a supportive group!

Log onto Happy Scale.
    Check out "taste of home" thank you @mytiime6630 :smile:
    Try to stay in a calorie deficit-1600.
    Pretracked all meals today.
    25 min walk with dog at beach after dropping son off at tutor.
    Meditate for 20-25 mins.
    Stronglifts today and some ab work.
    9:30 pm bedtime-big struggle here. I'm determined to get to bed earlier!!

I've been weight training for a few months now. I've only missed a few weeks due to flu but worked slowly on my recovery. My strength & posture have improved. My knee pain & weakness is gone. No drastic changes in physique but subtle ones. The first month I struggled to approach the barbells but I stuck with it. It was such an intimidating part of the gym to me. The other lifters don't even even notice me now and I sometimes get my son to "spot" me :smile: For anyone who is hesitant to enter the gym, remind yourself that you deserve this time to yourself, this is your journey and remember your "why".

"If not now, when?"
    :smiley:

• Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,060 Member
    OK @Bex ---- are you drinking your water!!!!! Diet coach here checking on you today!

Oh honey, what is she doing specifically? Is she the middle child?

She's the eldest.
    She's got sudden separation anxiety but I find it smothering. Say for example she's in the lounge. If I go use the toilet she will then start screaming for me. Just now she's asked to watch a film in her room that we bought her today, she's been out her room about 20 times just to see if im okay. Which sounds nice right? In a way, but then when she is with me she back chats, I ask her to do anything it's "I don't want to" or "in a minute" or she asks why. Anything I ask her not to do she does do. Like to stop getting right in caseys face, to stop screaming in Marleys face and to stop running around, to stop banging the furniture. As soon as I've told her to stop doing something I'm telling her to stop doing something else. So I think right I'll let them in the garden to play. And she's just in and out, in and out, in and out.
    She always does little things to her sister Marley and Marleys response is to scream full pelt. So I'm. Shouting at her for screaming and then saskia for winding her up.

And it's just stuff like that, I wouldn't mind it every now and then, that's kids. But it's every day all day.
    What annoys me is she can only have learnt it from me as I'm the main caregiver for all of them (my partner helps obv but I do the majority) and I don't know how to change it all around when she's probably only copying my behaviour. Thing is my behaviour came from being depressed but now I'm not and she's being. Like that thinking that's normal.
    So basically I messed up. I don't know how to fix it and it's just in some massive cycle I don't know how to break.
  • Bex953172

Isn't it fun!! OH, how I remember so much those days .... and I only had 2 kids! They seem to sense when we are tired, and its like they love to keep pushing buttons. Do they have a good TV show that they like .... just to give yourself a little break? I know I never wanted kids in front of the tv, but sometimes that was all that would work to quiet them down.

I used to keep a box of special little "toys" that I hid, and if the kids would be really bad, I would tell them if they did so and so, or helped extra, they would get to pick out a toy. They loved it. It was always cheap stuff from the dollar store, but that had helped save many a day for me.
    anyhow, remember, they will grow up faster than you realize. But being a mommy sometimes is tough. Hugs <3

See this is where I've gone wrong. The TV is on all day. It's just background noise. The films are the special treats. They don't really have special toys. They just use all their toys.
    I will turn the TV off sometimes so they will use their toys but they mostly use both in the day but if they start slobbing about watching it all day I turn it off.
  • Bex953172
    PhedraJD wrote: »
    @bex953172 I am so sorry she is stressing you out. I am normally a lurker, and find everyone inspiring, but thought I would stop in because I understand your frustration. Take my advice for whatever it is worth. Now that she is a little older the reward chart might be very helpful. (She can probably, understand the consequences better now.) She might be having a hard time adjusting to having a new sister around, and less of mom’s attention. Maybe if she is having a good day (start out small on expectations, maybe she just did her chores), she can pick a reward such as 10 minutes cuddle time with mom, a story read from mom or dad, an extra few minutes to splash around in the tub, a game of Ring around the Rosies, or helping mom in the kitchen, set her on the counter, scoot a chair she can stand on, she can hold the bowl, or mix something. You can work up to bigger rewards for say having 3 or 4 good days in a row. Picnic in the living room, a pillow fight, Bubbles in the back yard, coloring with mom and dad.

Sometimes they just need a time out (over stimulation, being tired can cause crankiness and not willing to listen.) Does she take a nap, or just have quiet time, where she just needs to lay down with a book or a stuffed animal. (She might be at that stage where naps aren’t worth the fight.)

And sometimes they just need to be in time out, where mom walks away and ignores her tantrum. I was a single mom when my youngest hit the terrible 3, 4, and 5’s. She threw killer temper tantrums. Sometimes I would have to hold her with my legs and arms around here because she would kick and hit. I would try putting her in the bathroom as time out she would kick the walls and scream so loud. I was sure the neighbors would call child welfare on me, so I never left her in there long enough to make a difference. Finally, when I had someone around I could trust with my kids (hopefully dad can help) I would put her in time out, and leave the house. This gave me a chance to escape the stress, and let her know that her tantrums were not going to get my attention anymore. My partner could just ignore her screaming and set her back on her time out spot, without it killing him emotionally. He would just text me when she was done and I would come home. It took a few times (5-6), but the tantrums became fewer and fewer. Now she rarely has a tantrum. We also taught her ways to handle her anger as well, such as breathing and counting to ten to help her calm down. If she was able to calm herself from her tantrum she was praised for it. As she has gotten older, we have shown her that bad behavior leads to us not being able to do fun things with her.

Now it has been over a year since she threw anything close to a tantrum, and usually I can just tell her her behavior or attitude is crossing the line.

Thank you for this! So nice of you to come out of lurking to message me.
    I feel like a rubbish parent half the time. I constantly worry I'm going to mess them up. I always seem to do things wrong
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    PhedraJD wrote: »
    @bex953172 I am so sorry she is stressing you out. I am normally a lurker, and find everyone inspiring, but thought I would stop in because I understand your frustration. Take my advice for whatever it is worth. Now that she is a little older the reward chart might be very helpful. (She can probably, understand the consequences better now.) She might be having a hard time adjusting to having a new sister around, and less of mom’s attention. Maybe if she is having a good day (start out small on expectations, maybe she just did her chores), she can pick a reward such as 10 minutes cuddle time with mom, a story read from mom or dad, an extra few minutes to splash around in the tub, a game of Ring around the Rosies, or helping mom in the kitchen, set her on the counter, scoot a chair she can stand on, she can hold the bowl, or mix something. You can work up to bigger rewards for say having 3 or 4 good days in a row. Picnic in the living room, a pillow fight, Bubbles in the back yard, coloring with mom and dad.

Sometimes they just need a time out (over stimulation, being tired can cause crankiness and not willing to listen.) Does she take a nap, or just have quiet time, where she just needs to lay down with a book or a stuffed animal. (She might be at that stage where naps aren’t worth the fight.)

And sometimes they just need to be in time out, where mom walks away and ignores her tantrum. I was a single mom when my youngest hit the terrible 3, 4, and 5’s. She threw killer temper tantrums. Sometimes I would have to hold her with my legs and arms around here because she would kick and hit. I would try putting her in the bathroom as time out she would kick the walls and scream so loud. I was sure the neighbors would call child welfare on me, so I never left her in there long enough to make a difference. Finally, when I had someone around I could trust with my kids (hopefully dad can help) I would put her in time out, and leave the house. This gave me a chance to escape the stress, and let her know that her tantrums were not going to get my attention anymore. My partner could just ignore her screaming and set her back on her time out spot, without it killing him emotionally. He would just text me when she was done and I would come home. It took a few times (5-6), but the tantrums became fewer and fewer. Now she rarely has a tantrum. We also taught her ways to handle her anger as well, such as breathing and counting to ten to help her calm down. If she was able to calm herself from her tantrum she was praised for it. As she has gotten older, we have shown her that bad behavior leads to us not being able to do fun things with her.

Now it has been over a year since she threw anything close to a tantrum, and usually I can just tell her her behavior or attitude is crossing the line.

Thank you for this! So nice of you to come out of lurking to message me.
    I feel like a rubbish parent half the time. I constantly worry I'm going to mess them up. I always seem to do things wrong

You mustnt do this! Firstly, you are most definitely not a bad parent. A bad parent wouldn’t care or worry or analyse their behaviour the way you do. Secondly, these little people pick up your anxiety, even if they don’t understand it. If she is subconsciously worried about you that may explain the separation anxiety...

Tough as it sounds, it might be time to get really firm. Reward every positive and be consistent with every sanction. Don’t give in, don’t doubt yourself or undermine yourself by giving up and handing it to your partner. You can totally do this - just tell yourself you need to be firm to make her feel safe. They need the boundaries, even though they fight against them. X