Which is more important to you: Quality or quantity?

2»

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Both I guess.
    I'm not eating stuff I don't like just to eat a lot of something. I could eat a pile of 35 calorie rice cakes but I hate them so I don't.
    I'm not buying fat free dairy products because I dislike them and would rather have a small portion of fuller fat dairy.

I find it helpful when I am eating a higher calorie item with a smaller portion to bulk out my meal with low calorie vegetables. I like the vegetables. I don't consider them low quality or bad tasting. I don't have to eat 1 lb of vegetables with every meal to feel satisfied. It is a fairly standard vegetable serving size... maybe double sometimes.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    stfpa wrote: »
    Do you need a lot of food in order to be successful or a smaller amount of food that tastes great? (I know you can have quality and quantity at the same time, but let’s be honest, the really good stuff has a ton of calories)

If you’re a quantity person, what are some of the lower calorie things you eat?
    If you’re a quality person, how do you feel satiated with a small amount of food? What do you do to avoid overeating?

quality...but that has nothing to do with the amount I would eat. I can easily eat 1/2 a medium pizza from my favorite local pizzeria...very hi quality. I could easily eat a slice or forgo completely something like pizza hut or papa john's.

Also, a lot of the things I believe to be the "really good" stuff isn't super high calories. One of my favorite dinners is an Asian inspired seared tuna steak salad...it's awesome, and not particularly high in calories.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited July 2018
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Right now .. quality. I will save calories for a decadent meal or wine. I will eat sad low calorie things all day to indulge later. I go through phases.. I sometimes like high volume, but this time around it's about quality and hitting my protein goal.

This for me. Though I tend to eat the same things everyday and cook from scratch. I think sensory specific sateity plays a lot into me over eating.
  • claritea1
    claritea1 Posts: 23 Member
    See I feel like I can balance both. I could lose weight faster by cutting more calories but that would just leave me hungry and feeling deprived. Instead, I eat more (smaller cut in calories) and lose a little slower. To me it is totally worth the trade-off.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    I try to eat leaner meats like turkey instead of beef, to allow myself to eat more. I know I need to eat more vegetables. They fill me up.

Certain foods I won't substitute for low fat versions. I just eat them rarely or in small amounts. Cheese and ice cream are two foods I want the best and richest version of. The other options just dont taste as good.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Quality for me. I've never been a volume eater. I can eat a huge bowl of vegetables and end up with a tummy ache, but still hungry. A slice or two of full-fat cheese will satisfy me.
  • Jams29
    Jams29 Posts: 108 Member
    I'm definitely more of a quality person. I love certain foods, so I'm willing to "save up" my calories for them or just eat them in smaller portions (ice cream, chocolate...). I usually stick to filling but less caloric foods during the day to save up some calories for a dessert at night :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Quantity on most during day, so I can get some quality stuff in there on remaining calories.

I blame mom for burning out taste-buds (hey, not just me, dad's semi-joke), so for the most part of meals I can easily get by with same boring stuff no problem.
    Allowing something I appreciate some part of the day, or week.
  • Nery_Tay
    Nery_Tay Posts: 81 Member
    Quality. I prefer to have food dish that I can love.

When it comes to salads I want quantity like the others on this thread have responded
  • AwesomeOpossum74
    AwesomeOpossum74 Posts: 106 Member
    Mostly quantity. I want to enjoy my meal, and I don't usually enjoy salads. But sometimes I'll "force" quality because something is healthier, e.g. carrots/celery over fries (while I'm eating my greasy chicken wings ;) ).
  • allison8668
    allison8668 Posts: 885 Member
    Quality meals made with quality foods.
  • Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    I’m often amazed by the sheer volume that some (most?) people eat. When I see a plate piled high with anything, all I’m thinking is what a chore it must be to have get all that down. It’s nothing to do with calories, just the size.

I just don’t like feeling too full. Hunger, I can tolerate. Feeling stuffed is horrible, to me.

And before anyone calls ED, I’ve always felt this way. From thin to obese and back again, I’ve never been able to finish restaurant portions of cheap carbs (pasta, rice, even fries).

• born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Quality for me. I've never been a volume eater. I can eat a huge bowl of vegetables and end up with a tummy ache, but still hungry. A slice or two of full-fat cheese will satisfy me.

Same for me. I could veggies all day and never be satisfied. Cheese is a godsend. Dairy in general is a godsend. I bet I get as many calories from dairy in my day as I do everything else combined.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    stfpa wrote: »
    Do you need a lot of food in order to be successful or a smaller amount of food that tastes great? (I know you can have quality and quantity at the same time, but let’s be honest, the really good stuff has a ton of calories)

If you’re a quantity person, what are some of the lower calorie things you eat?
    If you’re a quality person, how do you feel satiated with a small amount of food? What do you do to avoid overeating?

I think I reject the premise: I don't think there's any necessary and universal relationship between how high-volume a food is, how tasty the same food is, or how nutritious or satiating it is.

I emphatically disagree that "the really good stuff has a ton of calories" as a universal (or semi-universal) truth. One of the most indulgent, decadent, delicious foods I can think of is sauteed fresh, wild morel mushrooms. Even if I sauté them in butter, they're not unaffordably caloric . . . just economically unaffordable ;) (unless I can find my own in the woods). Sure, some delicious things are high in calories: Tiramisu, carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, concord grape pie. But others delicious things aren't calorie-dense: Asparagus, beet greens, fresh raw sauerkraut, yogurt with fresh, ripe berries.

I am someone who needs volume (and protein) for satiation. I love veggies, and frequently eat 10-15 or even more servings of them in a day. Every day, I eat nonfat Greek yogurt, oatmeal, hot skim milk (lots) in my coffee, berries (frozen).

But pretty much every day I also eat peanut butter, cheese, and walnuts - very calorie dense; and drink craft IPA a couple of times a week (completely indulgent).

I admit to being a weirdo: Most of the foods people commonly refer to as "hyperpalatable" are things that don't appeal to me at all.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    I'm about quality with 2 two meanings.

1. quality- to my tastes. Do I personally like this food? Yes.
    2. quality- to my health. Do I like what this food is made of? Do I like the macros of this food? Yes.

I'm the type of eater who is a "picker." I like to take a bite of something and then be done with it. I like small plates and tasting samplers. If you leave me at a buffet, I'll come back with a plate with a few different bites on it that may or may not go together. I get bored with food very easily so a big plate of the same mash of stuff does nothing for me.