Less Alcohol- July 2018- One Day at a Time

Replies

• erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    JenT304 wrote: »
    As most of you know I have moved and unfortunately for me, these grocery stores sell beer and wine. That was not a problem staring me in the face, in the last county I lived in. And it is all intertwined with the cheese and deli and the beautiful packaging and displays makes it all so tempting. I must bear in mind every time I go in there that for ME (maybe not for some of YOU) it is toxic. Beautifully displayed poison. It has taken too much of my money, energy, and overall good health already. I sometimes buy myself flowers with the money I would have spent on wine, instead.

I live in a state where alcohol isn’t in grocery stores, gas stations etc. i like it separated. Have to make a fully conscious effort to go out of my way to a liquor store
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    I know I wished an early one, but Happy Birthday Julie! I hope you have a great one however you decide to enjoy it!
  • Gingergal12
    Gingergal12 Posts: 64 Member
    Happy Birthday, Julie...Enjoy your special day!
  • Westschmeis
    Westschmeis Posts: 350 Member
    Glad you all are still here, I need the encouragement to cut down wine consumption after the Pig Roast and 4gh of July family party.

Who knew that summer could be so dangerous for fitness!!

This is my first summer with MFP and I need to get my mind set back to where it was for Thanksgiving and Christmas. This next 20 pounds is proving to be more stubborn, but not drinking alcohol will be a big step in the right direction.
    So, no alcohol today, and lots of Crystal Light when the urge gets strong. Always more satisfying in a wine glass!!
  • trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    Happy birthday Julie. Thanks so much for all you do!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,155 Member
    Glad you all are still here, I need the encouragement to cut down wine consumption after the Pig Roast and 4gh of July family party.

Who knew that summer could be so dangerous for fitness!!

This is my first summer with MFP and I need to get my mind set back to where it was for Thanksgiving and Christmas. This next 20 pounds is proving to be more stubborn, but not drinking alcohol will be a big step in the right direction.
    So, no alcohol today, and lots of Crystal Light when the urge gets strong. Always more satisfying in a wine glass!!

I remember you from January! Happy you stopped by again. I hope you are well!
  • RubyRed427
    JenT304 wrote: »
    As most of you know I have moved and unfortunately for me, these grocery stores sell beer and wine. That was not a problem staring me in the face, in the last county I lived in. And it is all intertwined with the cheese and deli and the beautiful packaging and displays makes it all so tempting. I must bear in mind every time I go in there that for ME (maybe not for some of YOU) it is toxic. Beautifully displayed poison. It has taken too much of my money, energy, and overall good health already. I sometimes buy myself flowers with the money I would have spent on wine, instead.

Oh Yes! Here we also have wine and beer in our grocery store but no liquor. During Dry January, I used to rush by the wine aisles like I was being chased. It was very tempting. @JenT304 I'm happy you found a store that has no wine. I just assumed all grocery stores did!
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    Happy birthday Julie, have fun tonight!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Life is kind of funny. I put something away this morning and saw my "stash" of alcohol. I have always bought my normal brand of vodka by the case to avoid all the extra tax dollars on it. Of course I discovered I no longer had to keep drinking even semi-regularly almost immediately after purchasing a new case which is now (thankfully) collecting dust still unopened. What are the odds of that happening and if moderation turns out to be pretty rare events even after I achieve more weight loss do I just keep that case or get rid of it? Not to worry though. As much as I hate wasting money that alone is not even close to enough reason to successfully tempt me right now. I do wish I had waited 3 days and avoided buying it though. One of these days when I pass what would be the consumption of that case I will start saving money like everyone else. :unamused:
  • RubyRed427
    I went through our January thread and see many familiar faces that are still with us in July! Others I dont recall seeing on the thread after awhile, I wish them success. And hope they check in and let us know how they're doing.

Hey I forgot that Dry July is very popular in other countries!

@NovusDies Did you ever see the movie "Somewhere in Time" with Christopher Reeve? At the end , he sees the penny. That reminded me of your experience seeing your stash of alcohol. And I'm proud of you that it's all still there. You have a great resolve.
  • RubyRed427
    @WinoGelato Thanks so much for the tips! I will need them. I love the bracelet idea!! I will drink lots of water and eat food. I sometimes forget to eat while drinking and then I'm screwed. I like your husband's style!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    @JulieAL1969 I love that movie. I have probably seen it 40+ times over the years. I bought the soundtrack shortly after I saw it the first time and I know it so well I can hum every note. I was always the strange kid that loved classical music though.

In Groundhog Day Billy Murray plays a jazzy version of Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini which is an interesting choice since it is another romantic movie with a time component. Ok. It is probably not interesting to anyone but me.
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Chiming in with my happy birthday wishes to our fearless leader, Julie! I hope you enjoy your birthday weekend (my husband is one of those that celebrates an entire week of fun activities) and that you have no regrets!

If I can offer some free advice from my mindful moderation - sip slowly, alternate drinks with water, don't be in a rush to order refills, and one of my newest tricks - a visual reminder of the plan you have. Agree with yourself ahead of time what your max number of drinks is - 1? 2? 3? I have bangle bracelets and I wear the number of bracelets that signify how many drinks I agreed that I could have, and after I drink one, I take the bracelet off and put it in my purse. When the bracelets are gone I remind myself that I said no more after this. It's worked a couple of times to get me to just say, "no thanks, I'm done" when the server comes around. It also helps my mindset to actually switch to a coffee, or order a dessert at that point.

Enjoy!

What a great idea!
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 9,891 Member
    edited July 2018
    NovusDies wrote: »
    @JulieAL1969 I love that movie. I have probably seen it 40+ times over the years. I bought the soundtrack shortly after I saw it the first time and I know it so well I can hum every note. I was always the strange kid that loved classical music though.

In Groundhog Day Billy Murray plays a jazzy version of Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini which is an interesting choice since it is another romantic movie with a time component. Ok. It is probably not interesting to anyone but me.

You are not alone! I'm a classical musician and I notice this kind of thing even when I totally forget the plot.

And your list is amazing.