FAVORITE PROTEIN SNACKS

I'm on a high protein diet with about 40% of my daily macros being protein. Any suggestions on good protein snacks or foods with a high amount of protein?

Replies

• sdudley08
    sdudley08 Posts: 32 Member
    Hard boiled eggs, a quinoa salad involving beans, cheese sticks are in that direction.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Boiled shrimp, grilled chicken, cottage cheese, protein coffee (plain whey with espresso is my fave lately), cans of tuna, Greek yogurt
  • Sarahfaster
    Sarahfaster Posts: 29 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Boiled shrimp, grilled chicken, cottage cheese, protein coffee (plain whey with espresso is my fave lately), cans of tuna, Greek yogurt

Great suggestions! Do you mix your protein powder with your espresso? and does it taste good?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Protein powder does nasty things in boiling water. It curdles. It gets bitter.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Protein powder does nasty things in boiling water. It curdles. It gets bitter.

But it makes great iced coffee/frappecino :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I like half a protein bar, cheese, and Edamame beans for my snacks. These have fats and/or carbs too but I like the protein profile.
  • BlessedMom70
    BlessedMom70 Posts: 124 Member
    Premier Protein drinks and Oh Yeah ONE bars. :)
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    My snacks range 300-400 calories and my meals are about 600. I use any of the following in different portions as parts of either.

quest bar (200 cals, 20g protein)
    protein powder (120 cals, 20g protein)
    premier protein bar (300 cals, 30g protein)
    Ostrim beef jerky stick (80 cals, 14g protein)
    hardboiled egg (80cals, 6g protein)
    3oz Tyson grilled chicken (110 calories, 20g protein)
    4% cottage cheese ( 120 cals, 14g protein)
    boca vegan burger (70cals, 13g protein)
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Protein bars, protein shakes, protein cake (protein powder + oat bran + water and microwave), protein pancakes (egg whites + baking soda...I like to fill with turkey bacon and a little cheese, season well), hard boiled eggs, cottage cheese, Siggi's Skyr (a more protein packed Greek yogurt, basically), can of tuna, the list is endless!
  • Sarahfaster
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    My snacks range 300-400 calories and my meals are about 600. I use any of the following in different portions as parts of either.

Is the Boca vegan burger good? and do you look at the sugar content in the protein bars?
  • Sarahfaster
    Protein bars, protein shakes, protein cake (protein powder + oat bran + water and microwave), protein pancakes (egg whites + baking soda...I like to fill with turkey bacon and a little cheese, season well), hard boiled eggs, cottage cheese, Siggi's Skyr (a more protein packed Greek yogurt, basically), can of tuna, the list is endless!

Thank you! I'll definitely try the protein cake!
  • Sarahfaster

What are ONE bars?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »

Great suggestions! Do you mix your protein powder with your espresso? and does it taste good?

I mix the protein well with water first. Then I make my espresso and cool it down or add ice if I want it cold. Then mix then together. My whey is unflavored so it is a touch bitter but milky and I find it pairs well with espresso. If you used flavoured it would probably taste nice.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    Leftover chicken breast with pinto beans and barbecue sauce.

Leftover chicken breast with edamame, soy sauce, red wine vinegar, and hot sauce (e.g., Tabasco, Texas Pete's, Frank's).

Actually those were part of my lunch and dinner, respectively, today but you can get a decent amount for less than 200 calories.

Also (and this may sound odd, but keep an open mind): plain greek yogurt with lots of cheese powder mixed in, so it gets fairly thick. I use King Arthur Flour's Vermont cheese powder. It satisfies the same salty-cheesy craving as Cheetos, but for a lot more protein.
  • Peanut butter or eggs
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Cbean08 wrote: »

Is the Boca vegan burger good? and do you look at the sugar content in the protein bars?

I think the vegan burger is good. I eat it plain but you could melt a piece of cheese on top.

The Quest bars only have like 1g of sugar. I never looked a the premier protein ones. I was more concerned with the calories and the amount of protein. Overall, I don't eat a high sugar diet, so a little extra in a bar won't hurt.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member

What are ONE bars?

ONE Bars are the best protein bars! Them and Grenade are so yummy!
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member

What are ONE bars?

ONE Bars are the best protein bars! Them and Grenade are so yummy!
    Agreed!ONE bars are my absolute fave,especially the maple donut one <3
  • ToxDocAR
    ToxDocAR Posts: 49 Member
    I am about to start making my own biltong (South African dried/cured meat).

• brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    hard boiled eggs and cheese if refrigeration is an option. pistachios, almonds, walnuts, or cashews. Jerky. Quest bars. My latest favorite are epic venison bars. I always have one in my purse.