Less Alcohol- July 2018- One Day at a Time

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    I think the list is a great addition, @NovusDies

I think having that in the OP/first page is going to help a lot of people.

I think sometimes people seeing a challenge thread title, only look at the first post, then say, "I need to do this", but never actually get around to learning HOW to do this.

Education is key, and as the list says, self-reflection. We also learn from others' reflections.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    jugar wrote: »
    I am feeling calmer and relieved back to AF following a few months experimenting with moderation. The hardest moments are in the store where I see a favourite beer and need to kick myself a bit to walk on by. Once I get home with nothing it's easy - I also love having more calories for food!

Reading all if your messages is fantastic. Thanks.

I am able to completely avoid the beer/wine section at grocery. Are you able to do that?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    jugar wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    @JulieAL1969 I love that movie. I have probably seen it 40+ times over the years. I bought the soundtrack shortly after I saw it the first time and I know it so well I can hum every note. I was always the strange kid that loved classical music though.

In Groundhog Day Billy Murray plays a jazzy version of Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini which is an interesting choice since it is another romantic movie with a time component. Ok. It is probably not interesting to anyone but me.

You are not alone! I'm a classical musician and I notice this kind of thing even when I totally forget the plot.

And your list is amazing.

That is awesome. I wish I could have pursued music more. I was a talented enough singer for local venues and plays but that was never more than a nice hobby/way to meet girls.

• NovusDies
    Orphia wrote: »
    I think the list is a great addition, @NovusDies

I think having that in the OP/first page is going to help a lot of people.

I think sometimes people seeing a challenge thread title, only look at the first post, then say, "I need to do this", but never actually get around to learning HOW to do this.

Education is key, and as the list says, self-reflection. We also learn from others' reflections.

Stop saying insightful things that I might want to include on the list!!

I have no idea what I am going to do with that monster of a list. Some of it can be re-phrased with less words since I was collecting more than worrying about verbiage but I don't think that will be enough. I am not going to worry about it tonight though.

• donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    There was a major electricity outage in my town today--almost all day. By the time the electricity was restored this evening, our house was almost 85 degrees inside. Anyway . . . that is why I was late in wishing you a happy birthday, Julie! No Internet, no this, no that. I forget how dependent we are on electricity. But HAPPY BIRTHDAY anyway. You are at a wonderful age . . . it was one of my favorites!

Tonight before the juice came back on, I told my husband, "I'm fine sleeping tonight. As long as I have a wet washcloth and a fan, I'm good. He looked at me and said, "You realize you won't have a fan if there isn't any electricity." OMG. Is my mind going? I don't think so because I recovered and said, "Oh, ha ha! I meant that you will of course be fanning me throughout the night, right my love?" He's really relieved that the AC is back on.

Grocery stores that don't sell beer and wine? I had no idea. (There were over 30 posts when I got Internet back so I'm just catching up). Of course, I think there are states that sell hard liquor in grocery stores. Seems I remember that in New Mexico. That is a temptation for sure. Not for me . . . my husband does the grocery shopping. Geez, I'm just realizing I'm a spoiled brat.

Enjoying the non-drinking life at the moment. But I love the bracelet idea @WinoGelato if I ever decide to attempt moderation. That's something that I can envision working. Concrete and practical.
  • NovusDies
    @donimfp I am a fan of yours but I definitely do not bring anything in the cool department. I am tragically unhip.

I was just talking with a buddy of mine about how we survived with little to no air conditioning when we were kids. My room didn't have heat or air (I was the only one without in my family). I had a window and a box fan. Now I am destroying the planet with my low thermostat settings and I am so fussy I have to flip my pillow constantly when I am dozing to rest on the cool side.
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    @islandbeez, I am so happy for your success. Yay! Gives me hope.

I've noticed that @norminv's 18 days go a LOT faster than my 18 days. Weird!
  • spygirl2014
    spygirl2014 Posts: 53 Member
    Small victory-- I had a horrible workday yesterday, and 3 weeks ago I would have been drinking last night either to console myself or celebrate that the work day was over (whichever excuse I felt like at the moment) instead, I went for a walk with my husband.

Moderation for me means a drink or two weekend nights and Holidays. I'm happy to be sticking to the plan, and now I can understand how people get in 6 am workouts! Happy to have found this thread, I wish I had months ago. Thanks all for the tips and insight.

I'll add belated Birthday wishes to JulieAL1969. I'm a '69er too!
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Hello!! I have finally caught up and have time to post in the same moment! I have been doing good. My new passion is yoga! I am loving it more every day. I wouldn't be able to do it if I was still drinking wine every night. I'm only on the weekends having 1-2 glasses, but I've been feeling lately like, "why?". I think NovusDies said that he was asking himself if he has a good reason to drink and how will it benefit him. I think I'm going to do that as well.

Donimfp, I don't think that I can live without AC. I was out of AC for 1 day at work and I had to take a 1/2 day off. I don't do being hot well. Well, I am HOT, but I don't do being hot! haha! I a little bit of Friday afternoon humor.

Norminv, You crack me up!!

Happy Birthday Miss Julie! May your day be filled with hugs and giggles!

I'm not sure who said it a few pages back, but I always thought that winter was the season to pack on the food. Not for me. With all the fresh fruit and vegetables in season, I am finding all kinds of reasons to make my very favorite foods. Tomato Pie. Peach Cobbler. Blueberry Pie. Corn casserole. Etc, etc. I'm having a hard time saying no to sweets too. I do think it's because I'm not saving calories for wine. I think that I have more extra calories than I really have and before the night is done, I've over-done it!! Help!
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,479 Member
    Julie, I am glad you had a fun birthday night out with the girls and the bartender. You are usually so disciplined, don't even worry about it. You will feel better tomorrow! XXOO - Jen
  • NovusDies
    Small victory-- I had a horrible workday yesterday, and 3 weeks ago I would have been drinking last night either to console myself or celebrate that the work day was over (whichever excuse I felt like at the moment) instead, I went for a walk with my husband.

Moderation for me means a drink or two weekend nights and Holidays. I'm happy to be sticking to the plan, and now I can understand how people get in 6 am workouts! Happy to have found this thread, I wish I had months ago. Thanks all for the tips and insight.

I'll add belated Birthday wishes to JulieAL1969. I'm a '69er too!

Sorry you had a bad day but happy you coped with it without turning to alcohol. You may call it a small victory but I think it is a big deal.
  • Westschmeis
    Westschmeis Posts: 350 Member
    First two days down, no alcohol. Get through the rest of this weekend and I will be on my way to a nice whoosh in lbs lost.

It is amazing how much good sleep contributes to weight loss, and AF leads to better, longer sleep.

Feels great to be back at it.
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    islandbeez wrote: »
    NormInv wrote: »

Anyway, hello everyone :-) Nothing to report here, just staying AF and finding it much easier after 6 months of actively trying to get it out of my life. I am not counting days this time, or even missing it. Perhaps it's happened? I dunno and I certainly am not going to become complacent. I will always be a pickle ;-) Best wishes to you all, whatever your goals. <3<3<3<3

This is where I'd like to be in 6 months!! I am where I am in 6 weeks. YAY!! I've stopped counting other than occasionally looking at the Easy quit drinking app. I like keeping an eye on how much $$ I've saved & how many drinks I've passed.

Weekends are definitely harder, but not because I've exposed myself to any tempting situations. I'm listening to my gut & when I feel vulnerable I turn down invites if I know there'll be drinks & I'm wanting to pass on even being tempted...I know that at some point there will be occasions that I have no control over attending, but when I can control it I will!!

For the most part it is just the "vibe" of the weekend especially Friday driving home from work AND especially if I'm really tired from work. I have my youngest grandboy here as he had a sleepover last night. We ended up going back into town after dinner last night to go to the skate park for a bit & as I'm sitting there watching him do his FANTASTIC tricks ;) I realized how relaxed I was and the absence of the usual "biting at the bit" to get home & have the 1st of a few drinks....OR more likely, I would have made an excuse NOT to go back into town & promising "tomorrow" so I could have a few drinks instead of going to the skate park. It was liberating feeling in control & NOT controlled. Not that I have this licked, cause I will NEVER have this licked, but I do not feel controlled by the drive to drink!!

For me the keys in @islandbeez comment is "I will always be a pickle" and "I certainly am not going to become complacent" The realization of my problem & the commitment to continuing the work to remain AF.

Hoping everyone is well!! WELCOME to all the newbies! <3
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    donimfp wrote: »
    @islandbeez, I am so happy for your success. Yay! Gives me hope.

I've noticed that @norminv's 18 days go a LOT faster than my 18 days. Weird!

it could be because i am a dog