How often do you weigh yourself?

Replies

• Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 522 Member
    Well done on the loss @DomesticKat ! Looks like you've found your groove :)

To answer the OP - Daily, then input into a weight trending site. When I first began I only did weekly, but found myself wanting to see that gradual drop that can be witnessed weighing daily.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Either daily or a few times a week. First thing in the morning, before getting dressed. It depends on if I remember to stop and weigh myself before getting dressed and flying out of the house. >insert broom joke here<

I used to weigh weekly but found myself getting frustrated at seeing the same number over and over again. So I downloaded a weight trending app (Libra) It has been fun and insightful for me to see the weight fluctuations. And it tells me if I'm trending up or down amid all the fluctuations. Although it's still not always an accurate picture of what going on. I have not been counting as of late, and just weighing to keep myself accountable. I jumped up 3 average pounds for a few days, & it told me my weight was trending up. So I watched my portions a little closer. And then yesterday morning, I hit a new low on the scale, and am now trending even. Go figure.

It's really up to you how you weigh. As long as you pick something that is consistant, and works for you. Like the data? Weigh daily. Don't like seeing the fluctuations? Weigh weekly. Seeing no change for weeks before the "woosh" drives you crazy? Dont weigh at all. Instead measure.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Pretty much daily. I like tracking fluctuations. It helps me understand my body better
  • yellowsnowdrop
    yellowsnowdrop Posts: 154 Member
    Twice a week usually on Saturday in the a.m and then I get weighed at 'fat club' on a Wednesday. I go to 'fat club' because it keeps me motivated and I need the name and shame thing to keep me going
  • cammiecane
    cammiecane Posts: 62 Member
    I weigh myself daily. Makes me anxious if I don’t. I feel like o have a better handle on how I’m doing if I weigh daily.

I noticed a lot of people talking about trending apps or sites. Can someone please explain what that is, if you don’t mind? I’ve never heard of it
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Every morning, first thing after using the restroom, right before I step into the shower (so naked). Plotted into Libra. MFP updated every Saturday with weekly trend.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    cammiecane wrote: »
    I weigh myself daily. Makes me anxious if I don’t. I feel like o have a better handle on how I’m doing if I weigh daily.

I noticed a lot of people talking about trending apps or sites. Can someone please explain what that is, if you don’t mind? I’ve never heard of it

The trending apps smooth out your daily weights to give you a more specific idea of what your actual weight is with your daily fluctuations. I use Libra, but Happy Scale is another app people like.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Currently - every morning, but only because I'm prepping for a competition in which I have to make weight. Typically? Every two weeks, maybe. Don't really care about a number on a scale.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Daily, first thing in the morning after using the bathroom. I log my weight in an Excel spreadsheet that has a column that calculates a 7-day moving average. I consider this average to be my "official" weight, since it smooths out the daily fluctuations. That's the number I use to update my stats on MFP, though I usually only do that every week or two.
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    I was weighing myself once a week minimum, twice a week max. Just this week I'm trialling daily morning weigh-ins to see if I like it better.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited July 2018
    I’m not trying to lose weight anymore. I try to weight once a week just to monitor my weight and make sure I’m not gaining but I often forget. I haven’t weighed myself in 3 weeks now lol. But in my defense I don’t keep my scale out where I can see it because I have a small bathroom
  • cammiecane
    cammiecane Posts: 62 Member
    The trending apps smooth out your daily weights to give you a more specific idea of what your actual weight is with your daily fluctuations. I use Libra, but Happy Scale is another app people like.

That sounds awesome. I’ll have to check it out. Thanks!!
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 789 Member
    AM after waking up and after peeing and PM before bed. I am a data *kitten* so I like to see how much I lose over night as well as daily. I like to compare the current days morning weight to the prior weeks same day weight, and do this daily. At the end of each week I can add up each days weight loss/gain, divide by 7, and get an average of my per day loss. Lot's of people weight once a week, but I know that Murphys Law for me would have the best or worst body weight conditions for those two days to tell me how I did for the week. That would be too depressing or give me a false sense of doing better the I really did. I know it averages out over time anyway, but we all know how one damn scale reading can send out heads spinning (at least mine does).
  • Ninkasi
    Ninkasi Posts: 173 Member
    Daily. Maybe overkill, but I'm a data junkie. I'm currently trying to see if I can correlate items in my food diary with fluctuations in weight that seem excessive; i.e., is there a common food reason that I'm bloating on particular days (TOM isn't an issue for me). I may find a correlation, I may not. It's a research project.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited July 2018
    cammiecane wrote: »

Libra is an Android app, Happy Scale is an iOS app. There's also trendweight.com and weightgrapher.com on the web. They all work a bit differently, but do basically the same thing - graph your daily weigh-ins and show your overall weight trend, which smooths out the daily fluctuations and gives you an idea of what your weight is doing in the bigger picture.

I weigh daily and my wi-fi scale uploads my weight to several different places - Garmin Connect, Apple Health, Happy Scale, trendweight.com and MFP. I love data and graphs and numbers and things, and the daily fluctuations up and down (which are perfectly normal) don't bother me one bit. It's actually interesting to see the effect that different things have upon my daily weight (workouts, sodium-heavy meals, big calorie days, etc.).
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I've been at this more than 2 years and it is now truthful to say I weigh myself slightly less than once daily. I've skipped a few days recently. As a tactical decision, it didn't help.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Every other day. Weighing too infrequently, you don't know if you just caught a spike up or down when you weigh. If you weigh once a week, you could lose a pound of fat in a week and weigh more at the next weigh in. Conversely, you could gain a pound of fat and weigh less. Water and gut contents can cause swings of a couple of pounds at almost every weigh in and bigger swings in the 5 pound range from time to time.
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    I weigh every morning and enter it into an app on my phone. I count Tuesday as my official weigh-in day. I also just started posting it on the fridge for my husband to see. For some reason, I thought that would be a good idea! :smiley:
  • xfc1
    xfc1 Posts: 69 Member
    edited July 2018
    Some people find weighing daily messes with their head, I never had that last time I got to goal weight but after I started maintaining I noticed that I was burnt out by the constant routine. Given that I religiously count kilojoules I see less need to weigh daily this time.
  • BlessedMom70
    BlessedMom70 Posts: 124 Member
    edited July 2018
    Every Monday morning. I used to weigh several times a week, but weight fluctuates too much (sodium, hydration, etc) and it would depress me.