Have you ever wanted to hit "RESET"?

acnoyes
acnoyes Posts: 151 Member
Have you been in a place where you wish there was a reset button? Maybe just a few minutes, or maybe many years...rewinding events seems like it could be a good idea, BUT you also lose all the in between moments.

And I don't think it's even as simple as knowing what you know now because as soon as you go back and make a different decision an entirely new path unfolds.

Would you hit "reset" if you could, and how far back?

Me - yes, and 21 years back, just after my youngest son was born.

Replies

• caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    I think about this sometimes but I’d hate to wipe my kids from existence. Well, at this very moment I don’t want to. Ask me again when they’re awake
  • acnoyes
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    I think about this sometimes but I’d hate to wipe my kids from existence. Well, at this very moment I don’t want to. Ask me again when they’re awake

😂
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Nope.. without all the bad I wouldn't be me and wouldn't have learnt to appreciate so many things.
  • bhadbahabi
    bhadbahabi Posts: 575 Member
    Heck yes. I'm just not sure on the timing. I'd like to go back to the start but I don't know what would be so different if I'd be in the same circumstance.
  • AmberGlitterSparkles
    AmberGlitterSparkles Posts: 699 Member
    Yeah I think about it a lot. If I could keep my kids and erase the rest I would be all over it.
  • kelMee2
    kelMee2 Posts: 203 Member
    I’ve often thought about this, especially since I’ve gone through a lot of really hard times but I think all of the things that happened over the years were sent to prepare me for what was to come. I think my strength comes from everything I’ve dealt with and as much as sometimes i wish things were different I wouldn’t want to change me, other than the need to drop a few lbs I’m happy with who I am.
  • bootyrubsandtacos
    bootyrubsandtacos Posts: 775 Member
    edited July 2018
    I wouldn’t want to reset, but I wish I could wipe away all my memories from the past 16 years. That would be nice.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    This is a hard one, because very few people wouldn't be giving up something, especially those who had kids that would never exist. So then, would you remember, that might be sad. But, if not, whats the point, you would probably make all the same mistakes over again.

In this moment, I can say there is nothing I really would want to do over. I am pretty happy with my life now. Even the small things that seem like they were an unneeded pain, and might be easy to to have avoided. I am scared of the butterfly effect removing them might cause.
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    I would reset to before I was hit by a car and all the health problems that came with it
  • skctilidie
    skctilidie Posts: 1,405 Member
    Yeah I think about it a lot. If I could keep my kids and erase the rest I would be all over it.

This. I wouldn’t want to give my kids back (though mornings like this, when it’s not even 7 am and they’re already fighting over trivial things, I wonder why I wouldn’t!) but there are so many other decisions I’d love to be able to go back and change.
  • bojack5
    bojack5 Posts: 2,859 Member
    LuAtThTh wrote: »
    Nope.. without all the bad I wouldn't be me and wouldn't have learnt to appreciate so many things.

We also don't have a reset button. Coming around to this mindset can be a life-affirming step that affords you some internal peace.

While I doubt I could ever push a "reset" button if I had one, it would be nice to erase the memories that make nightmares real.......
  • Teamleslie
    Teamleslie Posts: 112 Member
    Yes. Many times....BUT im also scared of the butterfly effect so I guess im fine where im at.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Yes, I'd hit 'reset' on a lot of things in my (past) life.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited July 2018
    Absolutely. I would do it all over again. I grew up in one the most beautiful places on the face of the earth. We didn't have telephones or television or social media. We had connection.

Oooo, there's one thing I would change. I would never ever go on a diet. That first diet was the beginning of messing things up. I used to think it was fun because all of the girls were doing it. It was ridic. If I only knew then what I know now. I would take that back to the future.
  • acnoyes
    edited July 2018
    LuAtThTh wrote: »

We also don't have a reset button. Coming around to this mindset can be a life-affirming step that affords you some internal peace.

All of your posts are insightful and demonstrate a strength of mind and character that is impressive.

I picked this quote thread because it allows me to comment on the reasoning behind why I wrote this last night.

I think that in our lives, and clearly we have all had incredibly diverse life experiences that have made us who each of us are, we fall into patterns that were created based on decisions and actions we knew and saw and did growing up. Breaking a pattern takes incredible strength and commitment to character. In the context of this group, a lot of us focus on diet, or weight, or motivation, or any of a number of other health or fitness related topics as part of which we fight to change or fight to reinforce patterns.

The things I would "reset" or change if I had the opportunity to are not focused on me, in a way, but more on how I've impacted others in my life. With all of the challenges and opportunities I've had over the course of my life to date I have been incredibly blessed. But, along the way I have done things that I can honestly look back on and not be proud of. I realize that the impact of some of my decisions had on others was at the very least unkind and at worst incredibly hurtful.

Those are things that I dwell on sometimes and find late at night I can't shake. I believe I'm a better person now being able to look back on all of that and not repeat my errors going forward, but to the point that @Teamleslie and @4legsRbetterthan2 made above, what kind of butterfly effect had I created then for others that impacted them in lasting ways?

Anyway - thanks for the comments! You are a group of incredible people and I am grateful for all of you.

My introspective ramblings will be confined and rare...I promise! ;)
  • fitandpainfree
    fitandpainfree Posts: 38 Member
    Good Question! Definitely made me stop and think a bit. Thanks for posting it!
  • acnoyes
    Good Question! Definitely made me stop and think a bit. Thanks for posting it!

You are welcome! 👍🏻