What's your go to recipe when you don't feel like cooking?

Replies

• teddilyn56
    teddilyn56 Posts: 5 Member
    I keep fresh fruit in my fridge, pair it with a good amount of romaine lettuce-from a bag and pour over a bit of poppy seed dressing. No cooking-just slicing fruit.
    Slice an apple and spread on Peanut butter or sun butter.
    Microwaved sweet potato with a little butter, maybe a tiny bit of Light brown sugar or cinnamon.
    All else fails, rotisserie chicken from the supermarket and prepared mashed potatoes (near packaged lunch meat) - heated quickly in the microwave. With a bagged salad - a complete meal.
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    edited July 2018
    Leftovers lol. I usually have something , either already in the fridge or frozen.
    If no leftover then some other options I usually have on hand are
    Crackers with cheese .
    Celery or Apples with peanutbutter
    A throw together salad.
    Open a can of Black beans, rinse and stir in a little sourcream and seasoning. Maybe add some veggies to it like chopped tomatoes, lettuce etc. We usually have lime tortilla chips so I may add that too.
    Open a can of chickpeas, toss it in olive oil, seasoning like salt, oregano and garlic. Maybe chop up some green olives to go into it.
    Throw the chickpeas into a blender with lemon juice, olive oil , garlic , salt , cumin etc to make hummus. Eat with pita chips or on toast.
    Smash avocado on toast.
  • futureicon
    futureicon Posts: 348 Member
    Chicken wings seasoned with Old Bay, thrown in the air fryer for 25 min. Boom.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,875 Member
    Sliced apple with cinnamon/nutmeg or berries
    Nonfat latte - with a dash of nutmeg
    Kashi cereal - dry, with unsweetened cocoa powder mixed in
    Unsalted nuts
    And 1/2 oz dark chocolate.

I actually have this daily :) the only cooking is the latte, but you could have cold milk or yogurt instead...
  • r3488
    r3488 Posts: 77 Member
    Unsweetened applesauce mixed with walnut pieces and cinnamon, and sliced deli ham.
  • refugeefromkekistan
    refugeefromkekistan Posts: 48 Member
    edited July 2018
    Overnight oats (I always have 2-3 sitting in fridge ready to go)
    protein powder
    almond butter
    trail mix
    almonds (never comes in my trail mixes)
    some apple/banana/strawberries
    greek yogurt
    a piece of dark chocolate to sit on the top of it so it melts in and looks sexy as it swirls.

I sometimes eat this twice/day, it's too good.
  • tashingsworth
    tashingsworth Posts: 1 Member
    Fajita grilled chicken (either that I’ve grilled ahead, or Kirkwoods from Aldi), 1 tbs buffalo sauce, 1 tbs avocado or yoghurt ranch, 1 small celery stalk, thinly sliced, handful of lettuce on a whole wheat wrap.

Or a tomato tuna melt. Tuna & cheese baked on 2 slices of tomato. Sometimes I also top with sliced avocado.
  • sonarbabe
    sonarbabe Posts: 39 Member
    Greek roasted tilapia. Low fat, low carb and 30 minutes start to finish.
  • 1brats
    1brats Posts: 2 Member
    Eggs,
    Scrambled with some cheese and ham.
    Fried or boiled on toast
    Rotisserie chicken on a salad or sandwich.
    All easy no fuss
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited July 2018
    AJB1014 wrote: »
    What do you like to whip up when you don't feel like being in the kitchen?

Commercial frozen foods.

Frozen turkey patty grilled + a serving of a commercial ranch dressing or BBQ sauce for dipping and a double or treble serving of frozen vegetables either microwave steamed or oven roasted. Frozen blackberries with store bought Greek yogurt and 6 grams of white sugar for dessert.

Very much hands off; just have to be able to coordinate cooking times to have everything ready at the same time. From start to finish, can have dinner in 20-30 minutes doing this.

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    I like portable and doable. Tuna, jerky, nuts, cottage cheese, yogurt, frozen vege for the micro, a broasted chicken from a local joint, O Snap pickles, carrots, peas, HB eggs from the deli when pressed for time. Cheese slices with sourdough rye crackers. Turkey and avocado roll-ups. Overnight oats with my own mix of dried fruit/nuts with almond/coconut blended milk. Hemp/rice protein powder - never. Pursue tastier protein powders out there, they exist.
  • ahmadhakki
    ahmadhakki Posts: 1 Member
    Just returned home from a long weekend away. I'm exhausted from traveling but don't want to order take out! I don't mind going to the grocery store to pick up a few things, but its the physical act of cooking I'm not looking forward to. What do you like to whip up when you don't feel like being in the kitchen?

You can get a tuna in water Can with some veggies like cabbage and carrots (colslow) without any dressing and add some hot sauce for flavor.
  • Sue1862
    Sue1862 Posts: 2 Member
    Pickled herring and potatoes or just pickled herring on swedish crispbread and cheese.
    Pickled herring and potatoes or just pickled herring on swedish crispbread and cheese.

• Sue1862
    Sue1862 Posts: 2 Member
    k8eekins wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Just returned home from a long weekend away. I'm exhausted from traveling but don't want to order take out! I don't mind going to the grocery store to pick up a few things, but its the physical act of cooking I'm not looking forward to. What do you like to whip up when you don't feel like being in the kitchen?

Stop by a store on the way home pick up a box salad mix and rotisserie chicken. Not only do you get fed quick but have leftovers for next day.
    rutzsa wrote: »
    I second the rotisserie chicken, salad, and I would pick up a good French baguette or loaf of bread to go with it!

Rotisserie chicken (or foil packet salmon or some other fish on the grill or in the oven) sometimes is the go to for days like this, only I get flour tortillas and vegetable sprouts plus fresh lemons.

• deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Scrambled eggs and bacon in the oven...literally takes a few minutes. Heating the oven is the longest part.
  • phillyb2013
    phillyb2013 Posts: 271 Member
    I like egg drop soup....an easy make with staples on hand or picking up a mix at the store.

also a big fan of rotisserie chicken no fuss no work :-)
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Great ideas!
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Either a spinach and feta omelette because cooking an omelette is not really cooking, or my go to power salad - spinach / Kale w/ chickpeas, olives, and sardines.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    or Midnight Quesadillas! Those rotisserie chickens you guys are talkin about come in handy if you want to add some quick meat to it!
  • googtoyou
    googtoyou Posts: 14 Member
    Rice with beans. Throw some salsa on top with a fried egg and some cheese. We eat a lot of brown rice so usually have some in the fridge. I prefer to cook dry beans, but keep a few cans of beans on hand if I don’t have time to cook them (I use a crockpot, it takes about 8 hours and you don’t have to soak the beans first).