Macros vs calories (keto)

I’ve just started keto and had too many carbs but can balance out my macros if I go 700 cals over, so my question is....

Which is more important? Meeting your daily macros or calories?

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Calories. All you need for ketosis is carb restriction - too many carbs is too many carbs regardless of the percentage.

You can't use macro ratios to reach some keto compliant ratio - it doesn't work that way. Calculate your macros in grams. For ketosis, carbs are a limit not to exceed. Protein is a minimum you should meet or exceed. Fat is added for flavor and calories.

Which brings us back to calories... if you're going over on calories fat is where you cut back. Forget macro percentages. Good luck! :)
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    mojo6812 wrote: »
    I’ve just started keto and had too many carbs but can balance out my macros if I go 700 cals over, so my question is....

I've seen people bulk in keto.... so calories
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited July 2018
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

For keto, you macros matter in that you can't go over a certain amount of carbs to remain in ketosis...but calories always matter for weight loss. Keto isn't some kind of magical thing that negates the laws of thermodynamics.

I know it’s a science , a bit like baking a cake , do it to the recipe or it’s not gonna work! 😊

As long as it keeps my blood sugar levels out of diabetic range and shifts about 20lbs then I’m happy living the rest of my life on it 😋

Are you diabetic? if so type 1 or 2?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member

For keto, you macros matter in that you can't go over a certain amount of carbs to remain in ketosis...but calories always matter for weight loss. Keto isn't some kind of magical thing that negates the laws of thermodynamics.

I know it’s a science , a bit like baking a cake , do it to the recipe or it’s not gonna work! 😊

As long as it keeps my blood sugar levels out of diabetic range and shifts about 20lbs then I’m happy living the rest of my life on it 😋

A couple of thoughts. Losing the weight alone will reduce your blood sugar levels. Keto or even low carb will help. Once you are at a more healthy weight, you may not need to do keto or low carb to keep your blood sugar in a healthy range. Healthy body weight and vigorous exercise alone can do it.

I know this from experience. I lowered my blood sugar and a1c from prediabetic levels to low normal this way. I never did keto. I naturally tend to eat slightly low carb as my prefered way of eating but that was also true when I was 30lbs heavier with high BG and a1c.

Lastly, I be a little careful about declaring what you might be willing to do for the rest of your life on the first day. While keto may be prescriptive for you for a period and help with your BG, it is waaaayyy too early to be talking about what you will do for the rest of your life.

You may like this way of eating. Some do. Or you may get tired of not having carbs after your weight is down and BG is normal and be perfectly healthy going back to a moderate level of carbs. Especially if you make a lifestyle change to include regular vigorous exercise, which will go a long way towards keeping your BG in a good range. Quite honestly, vigorous exercise while doing keto can really suck without carbs to fuel your workouts.

• LaMartian
    LaMartian Posts: 478 Member
    Calories. All you need for ketosis is carb restriction - too many carbs is too many carbs regardless of the percentage.

You can't use macro ratios to reach some keto compliant ratio - it doesn't work that way. Calculate your macros in grams. For ketosis, carbs are a limit not to exceed. Protein is a minimum you should meet or exceed. Fat is added for flavor and calories.

Which brings us back to calories... if you're going over on calories fat is where you cut back. Forget macro percentages. Good luck! :)

Cut back on fat if you're in ketosis. If you're not doing keto and you're following a regular (non keto) diet plan, cut back on carbs first before cutting fat. Fats are required, just like protein.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    mmapags wrote: »

A couple of thoughts. Losing the weight alone will reduce your blood sugar levels. Keto or even low carb will help. Once you are at a more healthy weight, you may not need to do keto or low carb to keep your blood sugar in a healthy range. Healthy body weight and vigorous exercise alone can do it.

I know this from experience. I lowered my blood sugar and a1c from prediabetic levels to low normal this way. I never did keto. I naturally tend to eat slightly low carb as my prefered way of eating but that was also true when I was 30lbs heavier with high BG and a1c.

Lastly, I be a little careful about declaring what you might be willing to do for the rest of your life on the first day. While keto may be prescriptive for you for a period and help with your BG, it is waaaayyy too early to be talking about what you will do for the rest of your life.

You may like this way of eating. Some do. Or you may get tired of not having carbs after your weight is down and BG is normal and be perfectly healthy going back to a moderate level of carbs. Especially if you make a lifestyle change to include regular vigorous exercise, which will go a long way towards keeping your BG in a good range. Quite honestly, vigorous exercise while doing keto can really suck without carbs to fuel your workouts.

I know what you mean I’ve been around the houses the past few years trying to get out of the pre diabetic range using several different diets , unfortunately I have several medical issues conflicting with losing weight and I can’t exercise anymore at all but I’m under a physio regularly to get me moving again.

Ah, got it. Then possibly, along with weight loss, keto or low carb will be a great solution for you. I tend to eat between 100 and 150 gr of carbs per day as an 185 lb man. It is just my preference. I like protein and high fiber fruits and veggies. Not one for starchy carbs that often and don't have much of a sweet tooth. I think when you drop the 20lbs you'll be surprised at how easy it is to keep the BG in a good range! Are you able to walk? Just walking 2 or 3 miles per day can make a big difference in helping to balance BG.

All the best and if there is any way I can help, feel free to reach out. I was not T2D but was headed that way a few years ago.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member

That's it exactly. Keto is just very low carbs so that you are in a state of ketosis most of the time. For most people that's under 50g but for someone with insulin resistance it may need to be a bit lower.

For example, if you eat 50g of carbs a day, that's 200 kcal. For someone on a 1200 kcal diet, that's around 17% for a macro.
    For someone eating 2000 kcal a day, that's about 10%.

Protein is another that does not work great as a macro percentage. If you determine that 100g of protein is a good goal for you, you don't want to cut it to reach your calorie deficit. Those 400 kcal would be over 30% of a 1200 kcal diet but only 20% of a 2000 kcal diet.

Fat is the amount/ calories that should be manipulated the mist to hit your calorie deficit. Calorie deficit is key to weight loss.:)

BTW I went keto in part to address my prediabetic status. It lowered my BG within days and keeps it low. I can get away with eating just low carb sometimes but my health seems to to the best with carbs below 30g, YMMV.
  • All1971
    All1971 Posts: 89 Member
    Youve gotten a lot of good ansers on prioritizing the carb limit first. I think that if you are just getting started the most important thing to do is focus on the low carb side of the equation and not make yourself crazy about other macros. I think its more important to find things you enjoy eating that are low carb and get used to finding substitutes for higher carb things you used to eat so that you can live your life more easily. Once you get comfortable eating a low carb lifestyle you can more easily tweak things. Also, I prioritize protein and fiber to feel more full and reduce the temptation to overeat. Lastly, learn to listen to your body and the signals its telling you about when to eat and when not to eat. The main thing that was missing from your initial question was were you hungry? If not, no need to eat. i think that was one of the best things about keto for me was after getting off the insulin/blood sugar roller coaster.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    LaMartian wrote: »

Cut back on fat if you're in ketosis. If you're not doing keto and you're following a regular (non keto) diet plan, cut back on carbs first before cutting fat. Fats are required, just like protein.

To be fair, your body only needa something like 11g of alpha linolenic acids. So its pretty minimal.