Less Alcohol- July 2018- One Day at a Time

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,155 Member
    I feel fantastic today. The hangover I had lasted all damn day and all night. Seriously, it was not worth it! So, like Annie Grace recommends, write down exactly how you feel while you have a hangover. I journaled yesterday and wrote down all my symptoms and results from bingeing. Today is a beautiful day and I'm going to shop at the markets downtown with my daughter. It is the best feeling to wake up sober and alert! Xo
  • RubyRed427
    I have a favor to ask of you..... I am ready to stop facilitating this thread. I still would want it to continue. And I want to be a part of it by comment and expressing my feelings. I am starting a new job in August, so I'd like to take a break from running the thread.

Would any one of you fine folks, please take it over for me for August and onward? We could even rotate and someone could do another month of facilitating. I really don't want it to end, because it's so important to me and to others. Who would be kind enough to take over?

• islandbeez
    islandbeez Posts: 162 Member
    NormInv wrote: »
    donimfp wrote: »
    @islandbeez, I am so happy for your success. Yay! Gives me hope.

I've noticed that @norminv's 18 days go a LOT faster than my 18 days. Weird!

it could be because i am a dog

HAHA! If only our AF days went by as quickly as that! I am on about the same timeline as you this stretch, @NormInv .

Like @lorrainequiche59, I only check my Easy quit app once in a while now, that's how little I think about drinking each day. I know it helps that my husband is AF, kinda stressful to come home with a bottle of wine on a Friday and KNOW it's going to have to stay hidden. Plus, it was very disrespectful to all of his hard work and commitment.....so I kinda (big time) sucked there for a while. But here I am now, thanks to this board jump starting my journey, and hopeful this time is it, because it sure does feel like my brain finally gets it.

@JulieAL1969 Best wishes on the new job! I wish I could say yes to taking it over, but I just don't get on here often enough to be reliable. I know this thread has brought so much to more people than we know, I hope it continues.

Big Love to you all! <3<3<3
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited July 2018
    I have a favor to ask of you..... I am ready to stop facilitating this thread. I still would want it to continue. And I want to be a part of it by comment and expressing my feelings. I am starting a new job in August, so I'd like to take a break from running the thread.

Would any one of you fine folks, please take it over for me for August and onward? We could even rotate and someone could do another month of facilitating. I really don't want it to end, because it's so important to me and to others. Who would be kind enough to take over?

Oh and a HUGE thanks for all you have done. I think you and the people in these threads have played a major role in where I am at right now. I am sorry to see you step down your role but I understand it.

ETA: I have a favor to ask of you actually. Is it okay if I drop your name from the general tips and incorporate some of the ones from the community so that there are not two "getting started" sections going forward?
  • RubyRed427
    Thanks so much for the kinds words everyone! @WinoGelato @NovusDies @islandbeez @JenT304

Back in November, I stepped in to be the moderator for this thread when the person who started it had to step back. I can't take credit for its induction, but I sure loved being part of the tribe. Through thick and thin, sober, and hungover, it has been crucial in my success with cutting back on alcohol. I have a new teaching job and moving classrooms so it will be a challenge, but I'm grateful.

I do hope the dialogue continues, and we can even change the name to suit the group. @NovusDies Yes, please omit my name from the lists; we were collectively inspired by each other, so no need for my name there. And feel free to incorporate more information for our friends. Maybe you would be obliged to moderate for August unless someone else would like to. You have a natural ability condensing ideas and creating helpful lists.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »

I nominate @orphia but I also think we should have at least 2 (3 or 4 would be better, imo) volunteer greeters to make sure that each new person gets a welcome message which is something that you do so well. I think having some volunteer greeters will cut down on the load for the person hosting.

I would nominate @lorrainequiche59 except for her technosober-ness . :wink:

greeters? like Walmart?
  • NovusDies
    edited July 2018
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    After my overindulgence last Saturday I’ve been AF ever since, it’s my longest streak ever! I have to say NovusDies I had an experience last night similar to one I remember you describing. I was only trying to be AF during the week and technically Friday I was “allowed” to drink. I didn’t need to drink, we weren’t doing anything special (in fact it’s been a busy week getting ready for a trip so I was putting laundry away and packing) so no real reason to have a glass other than it was “my day”. I had to argue with my drinking brain several times that just because I can doesn’t mean I should and there was really no incentive to do it. Sober brain won out (yeah!) and I feel good that I racked another AF day up for July, I actually have more AF days than drinking days, as of now. But I’m wondering if having “Set” drinking days is giving my drinking brain some negotiating power in those discussions.

As usual you accomplish things faster than I have done which makes me happy and furious j/k. It took me 4 attempts over 6 weeks on allowance days to finally *not* drink on the last one. I do find it easier not to designate days and I do feel it gives my a.brain additional leverage I have them.
  • NovusDies
    I do hope the dialogue continues, and we can even change the name to suit the group. @NovusDies Yes, please omit my name from the lists; we were collectively inspired by each other, so no need for my name there. And feel free to incorporate more information for our friends. Maybe you would be obliged to moderate for August unless someone else would like to. You have a natural ability condensing ideas and creating helpful lists.

I won't say no because this is important but I need to be a last resort. I don't have what you have and sometimes my posts do not come across the right way.
  • NovusDies
    edited July 2018
    NormInv wrote: »

greeters? like Walmart?

I think it might be confusing for people to be greeted to Walmart when they join this challenge.

• lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    I hate to see @JulieAL1969 leave her post, but understand other commitments taking precedence. I'm hoping that @Orphia OR @Norminv OR @NovusDies will take over as moderator. You all have been here for a long time & have a wealth of experience on this thread!!

I would love to volunteer as one of the greeters, but I would feel horrid if I missed someone. Kinda like forgetting what day of the week it is!! LOL :p

That's just my 2 cents worth.
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,532 Member
    WOW, Julie that is some big news. Yet very understandable that we all have new paths to go down. I too have been a follower of your thread since January and a daily post reader. Taking a break at the end of March from actual posting in here because it did become time consuming for me. Many thanks for making us all feel so comfortable with a difficult struggle. <3
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    I'm happy to start the new threads. :smile:

I have a nifty app that I use to set reminders, Todoist, so I've put in one for the 1st of every month, which in my time, Australian, is early enough for people to get warning to start a fresh month, I hope.

@NovusDies Can you link me to a new post with all your resources? Or I'm thinking a text file would work better for me...
  • NovusDies
    I hate to see @JulieAL1969 leave her post, but understand other commitments taking precedence. I'm hoping that @Orphia OR @Norminv OR @NovusDies will take over as moderator. You all have been here for a long time & have a wealth of experience on this thread!!

I would love to volunteer as one of the greeters, but I would feel horrid if I missed someone. Kinda like forgetting what day of the week it is!! LOL :p

That's just my 2 cents worth.

lol. My idea for multiple greeters is to share the load not so that everyone has to greet each new person or deal with others that need replies. If you and 2 or 3 others were looking out the hope is that at least one of you would get it done. I am not suggesting we make it formal or anything just have some people who will assist the new host/hostess try to fill the very impressive shoes of @julieal1969. She is so great at greeting people, giving pats on the back, and giving a kind word when someone is blue. It would be quite a chore to take on that responsibility without help.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    I should add that I'm not promising to greet everyone. I know when @JulieAL1969's got me beat in the niceness stakes! :smiley: Plus, I just don't have the time.
  • NovusDies
    edited July 2018
    Orphia wrote: »
    I'm happy to start the new threads. :smile:

I have a nifty app that I use to set reminders, Todoist, so I've put in one for the 1st of every month, which in my time, Australian, is early enough for people to get warning to start a fresh month, I hope.

@NovusDies Can you link me to a new post with all your resources? Or I'm thinking a text file would work better for me...

I work from a text file because it is easier for me. I can copy it into a PM with a code wrapper so you can create one locally for yourself when I am done with the latest revisions.

ETA: I am assuming the PM system uses bbcode. I have not paid attention because I haven't used it that much yet.