plantar fasciitis and sketchers

I been advised to buy some supportive sketchers to help with my plantar fasciitis and I started looking online since that be the only place I get them from ( no stores other then sports direct near by ) and I’m overwhelmed there is so many .

I was wondering if anyone could advice me on a good pair for women with arch support . I’m not a runner this be mostly my everyday shoe for work and anything else really .

I appreciate any sort of help I feel very lost with all the different types

Replies

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    They are good for me as well as FitFlop.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Sketchers brand specifically? Or are you looking for shoes of any brand? I have had fantastic luck with Vionic brand shoes in alleviating my plantar fasciitis (I have Vionic sandals, dress shoes, casual shoes, etc.). If you need sketchers brand specifically, that won’t be much help though.
  • jlsmith4439
    jlsmith4439 Posts: 53 Member
    Sketchers brand specifically? Or are you looking for shoes of any brand? I have had fantastic luck with Vionic brand shoes in alleviating my plantar fasciitis (I have Vionic sandals, dress shoes, casual shoes, etc.). If you need sketchers brand specifically, that won’t be much help though.

Actually don’t mind what brand as long as they available in the uk to buy and don’t cost an arm and a leg ( so ideally under 60£)
    Very open to any brand :)

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,975 Member
    edited July 2018
    Who suggested wearing Sketchers specifically would help w/your foot problem?

Don't know if Sketchers will help w/this or not but, FWIW, Sketchers was sued successfully by the FTC around 6 yrs ago and forced to pay $40M in penalty for false advertising when it made "unfounded claims that [its shoes] would help people lose weight, and strengthen and tone their buttocks, legs and abdominal muscles."

See: https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2012/05/skechers-will-pay-40-million-settle-ftc-charges-it-deceived
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    I have several pairs of gowalks, comfortable for about a month and then the memory foam compresses

I've bought from office in 75% off sales but wouldn't pay full price with how fast they wear
  • jmf286
    jmf286 Posts: 32 Member
    Sketchers make my plantar fascitis worse. They compress too much and don't prevent my foot moving around inside which is important if you have PF. Brooks work for me running shoe type things. I haven't found any shoes that work well for me that are what I would consider cheap, especially work shoes.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    edited July 2018
    I bought a pair of Sketchers recently that is causing me problems. I can't walk in them; the "angle" of the shoe bothers the whole length of my legs and puts too much pressure on the balls of my feet.

Hope you find something that works for you! :)
  • jlsmith4439
    jlsmith4439 Posts: 53 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Who suggested wearing Sketchers specifically would help w/your foot problem?

Don't know if Sketchers will help w/this or not but, FWIW, Sketchers was sued successfully by the FTC around 6 yrs ago and forced to pay $40M in penalty for false advertising when it made "unfounded claims that [its shoes] would help people lose weight, and strengthen and tone their buttocks, legs and abdominal muscles."

See: https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2012/05/skechers-will-pay-40-million-settle-ftc-charges-it-deceived
    Wow I had no idea , I remember the ridiculous advert from years back . My friend recommended them she works for the nhs but currently I doubt she knows what she is talking about . Thank you for the info I’m glade I asked now rather then rushing off buying some .

I have several pairs of gowalks, comfortable for about a month and then the memory foam compresses

I've bought from office in 75% off sales but wouldn't pay full price with how fast they wear

That was my concern due my heavy weight I thought I might compress the foam and be pointless then .

jmf286 wrote: »
    Sketchers make my plantar fascitis worse. They compress too much and don't prevent my foot moving around inside which is important if you have PF. Brooks work for me running shoe type things. I haven't found any shoes that work well for me that are what I would consider cheap, especially work shoes.

Thank you ! Last thing I want is making it worse :)

SaraKim17 wrote: »
    I bought a pair of Sketchers recently that is causing me problems. I can't walk in them; the "angle" of the shoe bothers the whole length of my legs and puts too much pressure on the balls of my feet.

Hope you find something that works for you! :)

Sounds horrendous :/ thank you I’m hoping I find something , my current shoes are killing me 😂

• Kim_S_G
    Kim_S_G Posts: 120 Member
    I love these. Very comfortable and good arch support.

https://zappos.com/p/birkenstock-islay-black-leather/product/8471993/color/72
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    My mom has that foot problem and definitely likes vionic for shoes.
    She wears supportive shoes all the time. No more flimsy house slippers, she has supportive house shoes.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    edited July 2018
    I bought a pair of Skechers Chatham work shoe, very durable, I wore it the first two weeks with the default insole called memory foam and it wasn't all that great, I got some aches and pains whenever I stand or walk too much so I placed some Sof sole gel arch inside and now it feels like my feet is wrapped in a puff of clouds whenever I walk.

I walked 50,000 steps the other day in them and woke up the next day with no foot pain, it's pretty good, I do like my Skechers shoe mainly for the quality of the material and I bought it for half the usual retail price so I don't have much to complain.

• GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    I had plantars facitis bad years back and I got proper orthotics that could fit into most shoes. It was covered partly by my benefits. Still lots of money but well worth it.

I suggest you Get a Dr. referral and go about this the right way because that is a painful thing to deal with.

I have lost a great deal of weight and don't need the orthotics any more.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    A podiatrist can help with plantar fasciitis. Also Youtube has some stretching exercises to do.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I suggest buying custom fit orthotics that you can move to any shoe. That's what I used. Losing weight was the surest way of relieving symptoms. I had the same experience as @GOT_Obsessed
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I will be the third (or more) person to recommend Vionic. The best shoes I've ever bought. I don't have plantar faciitis, but a lot of people who buy them do. I actually have underpronation and slightly high arches, which resulted in chronic peronneal tendonitis. Wearing Vionic has eliminated my pain, and strengthening my legs all over has helped with my issues.

I wear Vionic to the gym, my dress shoes, my flip flops, and my casual shoes. Not cheap, but totally worth it. I did find last years colors on Amazon for a bit cheaper.

I was recommended a custom fit orthotic, the price was prohibitive at the time.

In my opinion, as a shopper, sketchers are cheap - they are sold at discount stores for super cheap in mass quantities. That isn't what you need in a supportive shoe. Buy a shoe that is made to support.
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    I had PF for years and tried so many different shoes. I finally bought the cheap, plastic, gardeners shoe from Birkenstock. Complete relief. I buy different versions of Birkies now.

If I had to do it again, I’d try on shoes at a mall, buy something that seemed promising, and then mall walk for at least an hour to see how they really feel. You can’t usually return shoes that have been worn outside, so I spent hundreds on shoes that seemed promising but proved otherwise when worn. Wish I had thought of mall walking before now! I hate malls but would do it to find better shoes. I would only test 1 pair a day, but it would have been worth the effort to find something that actually worked—and being able to return all the shoes that didn’t work would have saved me so much money!
  • Teamleslie
    Teamleslie Posts: 112 Member
    I had plantar fasciitis from being on my feet at work (nurse). I wore my same Nikes for 3 years. My runner friend convinced me to get running shoes with stability. Best thing I did. I wear Brooks Glycerin. They are expensive, about 150, but worth it. Also, buying new shoes regularly, every 6-12 months (I KNOW), helps too. Shoes eventually lose cushion. Maybe getting fitted at a local running store or sports shop will help.

And for sandals....Fit Flops do help. But they look too orthopedic to me. Im vain.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited July 2018
    Go to an ortho and they can teach you how to tape your own feet. I did that for months. It just takes some practice to get the tension just right. It was the best thing for healing. After most of year, my feet were healed as I dropped the weight that was bearing down on them. Flip-flops won't do anything for support and will increase the pain. Just like crocs. Oy vey.

https://heelthatpain.com/plantar-fasciitis/plantar-fasciitis-taping/
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    I recommend looking into Protalus insoles. They are pricey compared to other OTC insoles but they work really well.
  • siobhanaoife
    siobhanaoife Posts: 150 Member
    They're stupid expensive, but my PT recommended Hoka OneOne sneakers for plantar fasciitis and they help a LOT. For sandals and ankle boots, Vionic has done very well by me. BUT, I strongly encourage you to get some advice about the best inserts for your particular body - from a podiatrist, or a physical therapist, or failing that, salespeople at a store that specializes in such things.