How do you season your (cooked) vegetables?

stfpa
stfpa Posts: 62 Member
I add cooked broccoli, green beans and asparagus (sometimes other things) to my lunch sometimes because it’s low on calories and makes me feel full. I’m just curious what seasonings everyone else uses to cook vegetables. Preferably nothing that adds too many calories because that would defeat the purpose of loading my plate up with vegetables for me :-)

Replies

• Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Almost anything. Salt and pepper sometimes. Blackened seasoning is great. Mts. Dash. Add a sprinkle of parmesan.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,299 Member
    I've just started adding garlic powder to mine after someone else posted, it's very delish, but I also add Parmesan cheese & butter, usually 6g butter which isn't much calories
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    I am a big fan of soy sauce with a little garlic and onion powder on most veggies. Smoked paprika with the barest amount of oil is nice if you're craving something bbq-y. Fresh lemon.
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Do you boil them? You could use some vegetable stock.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Cholula, salsa, parmesan, nutritional yeast, balsamic vinegar, Greek seasoning, lemon pepper... basically whatever I feel like will go with the veggies that day.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    I'm all about Thai seasonings today - fish sauce, lime, hot pepper is the holy trinity, plus ginger root, cilantro, scallions - nom nom nom.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Sriracha; seasoned salt; plain yogurt with salt, herbs and garlic; vinegar (lots of types, plain or flavored); miso or miso broth; other broth; peanut sauce made with peanut powder, soy sauce, rice vinegar and seasonings; fresh-ground black pepper; prepared mustard, possibly thinned with vinegar; Pickapeppa sauce; a squeeze of fresh citrus; cottage cheese blended with cumin, turmeric, and black pepper; chopped fresh herbs; salsa; nutritional yeast; . . . .
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    I sprinkle lemon pepper on most everything.
  • jewels1nc
    jewels1nc Posts: 38 Member
    Olive oil and Tony Chachere seasoning
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Squeeze of lemon juice at serving time and a generous pinch of black pepper
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    I just like my veggies lightly steamed. Sometimes a little salt and pepper, but that's about it.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Steamed, with butter, salt and pepper. Sometimes garlic powder.

I'm okay with the butter and it doesn't take much, I don't get enough fats in my diet anyway.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Frank's hot sauce :D
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Olive oil, crushed garlic, salt and pepper. Works every time!!
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    I lightly steam my veggies. On broccoli I sprinkle a TB of parmesan. On asparagus I use lemon and lemon salt.
  • spiffer_43
    spiffer_43 Posts: 1 Member
    I like my veggies roasted. Olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, oregano, basil, whatever strikes my fancy. I also find that the veggies I don't like so much taste better if I roast them with cherry tomatoes.
  • katphi1618
    katphi1618 Posts: 120 Member
    edited July 2018
    Depends on the theme for the night but a light sprinkle of balsamic or malt vinegar really brightens them up.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Trader Joe’s all purpose seasoning salt. I’ve been hooked on putting it on everything lately
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Lemon juice and pepper. If you like hollandaise sauce but don't have the calories you can make something similar with Greek yogurt. Low cal cheesy sauce: Parmesan, buttermilk, nutmeg, mustard.

Not low cal but what I ate on my stirfry today: peanut butter, lime, soy, red pepper. Not so bad if you use a small amount of peanut butter.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Trader Joe's Everyday Seasoning. It's a mill so you fresh grind it.