Tight hips

Lshona
Lshona Posts: 393 Member
Is it possible if I do yoga a few times a week, I could loosen up my hips? Any tips?

Replies

• beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Am sure it would help :) Maybe speak to the instructor before/after to get some advice.

I do Pilates once a week and I asked the instructor for hip flexor exercises. She gave me a couple that I do for 10-15 mins on an evening.

I have noticed a difference after 3 weeks in my core and hips from doing the class and the extra bits. :)

Trying yoga this Wednesday as well. :)
  • Lshona
    edited July 2018
    Thanks! I’m going to look up some videos on you tube.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    my hip mobility has improved a lot through yoga ... but its been slow. I have been doing it for over a year twice a week.

If you can work in a routine where you do hip work every day ... ie get up in the morning and do a 15 min flow before you step in the shower I think this would work wonders in a lot less time
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited July 2018
    When I have tight hips I Youtube "hip opening exercises". Doing those moves for a short time really helps.

What worked for me was making sure my body was warmed up before attempting to do those exercises. It seems to really help with the stretching.

I've also been using my Pilates Reformer more often and that seems to help keep my hips open ongoing. No problem with tight hips since.

Good luck
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited July 2018
    Possible? Yes. Guaranteed? No.

Lots of ways to help tight hips - yoga being one of them, basic hip mobility movements (like fire hydrants) being another.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    I had pretty tight hips and glutes when I first started running, physio suggested a few extra yoga poses to include in my cooldowns:
    • Pigeon
    • Happy Baby
    • Thread the Needle
    • Dancer

I already was doing a run-through the following after most workouts:
    • Tree
    • Cat-Cow
    • Child
    • Sunbird
    • Cobra
    • Butterfly
    • Knee to Chest
    • Supine Twist
  • Lshona
    Thanks everyone!
  • cedric_says
    cedric_says Posts: 26 Member
    Hello @Lshona ! Massage and stretching always work well for me.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    yoga and foam rolling can help open hips.
  • losergood2011
    losergood2011 Posts: 172 Member
    Check out Esmonde-White Classical Stretch - the exercises seem strange but OMG they work and they are only 20 minutes
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Yes yoga will help and if you are also doing other types of exercise like walk, swimming, strength training, biking or running you'll get better results because you will be using/conditioning those muscles & tendons even more.