Protein Donuts using your favorite protein pancake mix

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    nice! id try pumpkin puree too! I make protein cake with similar components
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Seeing this thread spring back to life I see some donuts in my future. Not to long ago I mixed in dried blueberries and made a glaze of coconut oil and stevia. So good.

If you weigh out the coconut oil (measure before dip, then measure what's left after dipping), it adds a surprisingly low amount of calories.
  • TheFlyOnTheWall
    TheFlyOnTheWall Posts: 61 Member
    Came across this thread while searching for something last night. My silicone donut tray will be here Monday! :p

I'm going to have to set up some sort of calendar to keep track of when I want to make cheesecake, angel food cake, and donuts LOL

So many awesome recipes and ideas - thank you to all who keep coming up with these!
  • jeffrey_ad
    jeffrey_ad Posts: 789 Member
    Looks great! I think I need some of those molds now!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited September 2018
    Me likes! Here's 5 Insanely Delicious Protein Mug Cake Recipes to compliment that.

I wish I wasn't lazy. I like the IDEA of these, but not the process. Half the things I either don't have or have to do myself, like grind almonds/oats...etc. I would much rather just buy a piece of cake from the bakery and eat half than deal with grinding and washing dishes. I kind of feel protein stuff is almost always inferior to the real stuff, so almost always it isn't worth putting in the effort.

How many times I planned to make something then just ended up buying something + drinking a protein shake instead for similar macros. Wish there was a cure for laziness.

ETA: I do make protein mug cakes, but as basic as it gets (protein powder+baking soda and a bit of liquid), but only because it's easier to wash mugs than it is to wash shakers.
  • Sallyw2004
    Sallyw2004 Posts: 124 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    My creation from last night. As shown the 3 were under 100cal. Yes. 100cal for all 3.

ch5z8cpwetu3.jpg

Deep fried donuts they are definitely not, but if you think of them as donut shaped cakes, AMAZING :)

Would you mind sharing your recipe please? They look amazing and 100 cal for all 3 is fantastic!

Get:
    2 tbsp Coconut Flour
    2 tbsp Almond or Cashew Milk
    0.50 tsp Baking Powder
    1 tsp Stevia or any Sweetener
    3 Egg Whites

Make:
    Whip the egg whites until nice and firm.
    Mix all the other ingredients and add to the egg whites.
    Gently fold everything until mixed through.
    Spray your donut pan and add the mix.
    Bake 10 minutes at 350F

Nutrition Facts
    Servings 1.0
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 115
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 4 g 6 %
    Saturated Fat 2 g 10 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0 %
    Sodium 247 mg 10 %
    Potassium 166 mg 5 %
    Total Carbohydrate 9 g 3 %
    Dietary Fiber 5 g 21 %
    Sugars 2 g
    Protein 13 g 26 %
    Vitamin A 1 %
    Vitamin C 0 %
    Calcium 7 %
    Iron 10 %

I finally made this recipe this afternoon! They came out beautiful and were delicious. I’d have a hard time believing something this good could be so low calorie if I hadn’t made them myself! Exactly as written (baked for 12 min instead of 10) it made 12 amazing little mini donuts. I added a really nice spice blend (cinnamon, nutmeg, anise) to the mix, then sprinkled a little more on top after they came out of the oven. I can’t get my picture to add, so I’ll make a separate post. Thank you for sharing this amazing recipe!
  • Sallyw2004
    dhmme3nuy2ua.jpeg

crazyravr’s delicious donut recipe!
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Sallyw2004 wrote: »
    dhmme3nuy2ua.jpeg

Did you just 'free formed' the shape? I'm amazed they filled up the pan with that small recipe...maybe it's a smaller pan or are they the size of mini muffins?
  • Sallyw2004
    vegmebuff wrote: »
    dhmme3nuy2ua.jpeg

Did you just 'free formed' the shape? I'm amazed they filled up the pan with that small recipe...maybe it's a smaller pan or are they the size of mini muffins?

I used a mini donut pan. The batter perfectly filled the 12 sections. It was a very easy to work with batter. I'm super impressed that such a simple and easy recipe can yield such good results. I could have taken them out of the pan a little more carefully for a more uniform donut look, but I thought they looked really nice as is.
  • vegmebuff
    dhmme3nuy2ua.jpeg

I used a mini donut pan. The batter perfectly filled the 12 sections. It was a very easy to work with batter. I'm super impressed that such a simple and easy recipe can yield such good results. I could have taken them out of the pan a little more carefully for a more uniform donut look, but I thought they looked really nice as is.

They do look great...I'm going to try again (tried yesterday - but used a small cake pan...came out great...and then deflated into a pancake!)
  • vegmebuff
    dhmme3nuy2ua.jpeg

They do look great...I'm going to try again (tried yesterday - but used a small cake pan...came out great...and then deflated into a pancake!)

Making a cake with this recipe will always go flat. There isnt enough stuff to hold it up, ie. gluten.

Thanks for that...I was wondering if this might be the reason
  • Sallyw2004
    3nt0fvj3zd04.jpeg

Baked another batch today with some cocoa powder and raspberry extract. They were excellent! It looks like the flavor possibilities with these are going to be endless!
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 963 Member
    edited September 2018
    @chelseahatch24 i modified this recipe from the flapjacked website, the original was for "apple donuts". In case you want to see my source material before I tweaked it. Four donuts later i will confirm they came out great lol. Tomorrow I'm going to sub out the yogurt and apple for a ripe banana and make more.

Please let us know how that turns out! Thank you.

I have been having a craving for donuts for a couple of weeks and not giving in but going to try these!
  • vegmebuff
    3nt0fvj3zd04.jpeg

Baked another batch today with some cocoa powder and raspberry extract. They were excellent! It looks like the flavor possibilities with these are going to be endless!

I am so inspired to buy one of those silicone doughnut pans! Amazon here I come...(they look excellent btw!)
  • vegmebuff
    My silicone molds arrived and made my first batch...I'm going to make some PB2 and some raspberries on top - maybe some yogurt too:) not bad for a nice 'snack' for under 200 calories!!7cr1edxfc3b0.png
  • vegmebuff
    edited September 2018
    dngbvduvlax4.png

This next one I used Pb and Me's Almond 'butter' flour also used some Xanthum gum too
    Got 7 out of this one...baked 12 minutes this time

Servings 7.0 Amount Per Serving calories 14
    12 gram, Almond Powder
    0.50 tsp, Baking Powder
    .25 tsp. Xanthum gum
    Stevia
    3 Egg Whites
    2 tbsp(s), Water Filter
    Nutrition Facts

• TheFlyOnTheWall
    here's mine using crazyravr's recipe - they were really soft, and not crispy at all - is that how they're supposed to be?

4ih8gtpe07ob.jpg
  • TheFlyOnTheWall
    Good thing I took them out of the oven then :p Pictures can be deceiving, because I thought yours looked crispy!

They were good though - like biting into a cloud! :)
  • vegmebuff
    Good thing I took them out of the oven then :p Pictures can be deceiving, because I thought yours looked crispy!

They were good though - like biting into a cloud! :)

This is what it says below the photo in my recipe.

Deep fried donuts they are definitely not, but if you think of them as donut shaped cakes, AMAZING :)

:)

that's why I baked mine 2 minutes more...I ate some of them later and toasted them. Nice and crunchy - great with pb powder and sliced banana:)