Water weight fat or muscle

So ever since friday my weight has been on a higher average, i usually start at 155 in the morning but throughout friday-even today its been around 157/158!! I feel extra fat and im hoping its water but ive limited sodium to 500mg and ate lots of watermelon and fruits and potassium and water to try and balance it out and still nothing and not to mention that bowel movements(pooping) has been a struggle too. Please help :(

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    You have to be more patient than that. A pound of fat equals 3500 calories.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    It could be hormones, the warmer weather, muscle repair, pretty much anything.

If you didn't over eat you didn't gain fat.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Water and waste in your system
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    So ever since friday my weight has been on a higher average, i usually start at 155 in the morning but throughout friday-even today its been around 157/158!! I feel extra fat and im hoping its water but ive limited sodium to 500mg and ate lots of watermelon and fruits and potassium and water to try and balance it out and still nothing and not to mention that bowel movements(pooping) has been a struggle too. Please help :(

Be patient. Don't try to chase water weight or bowel movements and their effect on the scale. That's not what you're targeting to lose anyway right? Water retention or elimination is a natural process the body uses to accomplish many things. No need at all to manipulate it unless you have a specific medical condition. Many times it's counterproductive to try to eliminate water that your body maybe trying to use for things like muscle repair....
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Probably water retention from all the carbs in your fruit (carbs are stored with water in the body).
    Try weighing yourself once a week to avoid worrying about it too much.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

Poop probably if you haven't been in a while
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    This is water and natural fluctuations.

As comparison my water weight fluctuates ~5lbs throughout the day. Bear in mind humans are 45-65% water weight, so this is normal. I can lose 5 lbs of water on a long run - again this is a normal physiological response.

It's important to recognize that any hormonal shift will result in water weight gain. This is your body reacting to stressors and taking on water within your cells to defend against harm. It goes away in 5-7 days if you are hydrated.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Increased sodium and carbs can make you hold excess water. You may have worked out extra hard and those muscles are retaining water. Drank alcohol over the weekend. Lots of explanations. I doubt it's fat. Would be very unrealistic.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/42022218#Comment_42022218

I liked @AnnPT77 answer to you. You should read it again, it was spot on.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Are you getting adequate fiber and fat? Some extra sodium, change in exercise routine, or TOM that might lead to a little water retention?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Water weight fluctuation is neither fat or muscle.

Take your belly revealing selfies first thing in the morning.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,722 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »

Be patient. Don't try to chase water weight or bowel movements and their effect on the scale. That's not what you're targeting to lose anyway right? Water retention or elimination is a natural process the body uses to accomplish many things. No need at all to manipulate it unless you have a specific medical condition. Many times it's counterproductive to try to eliminate water that your body maybe trying to use for things like muscle repair....

Yes but my stomach is larger than normal and i feel bulkier :(

The waste in your digestive tract weighs something. If you're not moving your bowels, that weight isn't going anywhere. And feeling bloated is common with constipation.

Have you cut back your fat? That can lead to constipation, especially if you're increasing fiber at the same time (both common dieting behaviors).

Yea i dont eat much fat. How much should an average 155 pound man eat. I dont like fatty things like olive oil avocado nuts etc.. i do like salmon but its pretty pricey $$$. Peanut butter is dense in calories so not a fan of that and fat on meat isnt good for you and basically i just naturally dont eat a lot of fat. I guess its just my asian side kicking in considering that most asian diets are nearly fat free

At least 54 grams (.35 grams per pound of weight minimum). Fat is extremely important for your body, especially your brain which is mostly made of fat.

^^^ That. Yes, foods that contain fat - like peanut butter - are relatively high in calories. You need to eat some fats, though, anyway. Fat is an essential nutrient: Your body can't manufacture what you need, so you need to eat some. If you don't eat enough, various bad things can happen . . . one of which is constipation.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Yea i dont eat much fat. How much should an average 155 pound man eat. I dont like fatty things like olive oil avocado nuts etc.. i do like salmon but its pretty pricey $$$. Peanut butter is dense in calories so not a fan of that and fat on meat isnt good for you and basically i just naturally dont eat a lot of fat. I guess its just my asian side kicking in considering that most asian diets are nearly fat free
    Recommended fat intake is 20-35% of your energy intake. (I personally prefer to keep on the higher side at maintenance, and even higher while losing weight because I cut most of my calories from carbs.)

Fat is 9 calories per gram. Peanut butter is calorie dense because it's high in fat.

Fat on and in meat IS good for you. Eating too many calories and/or unbalanced, is bad for you.

You can decide for yourself what to eat, regardless of your ethnicity.

People prefer what they're used to. But we can get used to almost anything if we have to, or are curious.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Are you getting adequate fiber and fat? Some extra sodium, change in exercise routine, or TOM that might lead to a little water retention?

I keep asking but idk what it is but what id TOM

Time of the month, so it’s not something you should be dealing with