Do you workout when you go abroad on a holiday ?

Replies

• GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Absolutely. I research local pools and gyms ahead of times and make the most of any jet lag by exercising at odd hours when the facilities are quiet. I usually come back lighter than when I went
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Does anyone tend to workout while away?

Absolutely!!

Almost 100% of my trips involve cycling and hiking ... and possibly also swimming and kayaking if we have the opportunity. :)

Cycling in the Canadian Rockies last year ... for example ... :)

35916285596_1cdce63a5c_z.jpg

• Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    Not every time but I plan to this weekend, I have a tough mudder event coming soon so a little extra calorie burn won't hurt.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    I am currently on holiday. I go for walks and runs every morning and evening. It helps that I am in London and staying next to Regent's Park.
  • losergood2011
    losergood2011 Posts: 172 Member
    I walk my butt off literally - go out and explore - check out the area - see the old houses watch how people interact - enjoy the farmers markets and small bakeries. I usually get in over 20K steps a day on vacation!! Sometimes I will work out in the am if I think I need to do some lifting and weights are available - but mostly its walking or swimming in the pool. Good enough! Unless I am scuba diving! that always wins ;-)
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited July 2018
    I spent 6 weeks in Italy and the UK in 2015 so I did train while I was there but when I went to Punta Cana for 7 days I did nothing but eat and drink.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    I don't tend to specifically exercise or work out while on holidays.

That said I have a very sedentary job so 99 times out of 100 my incidental level of activity while on holidays is probably many times the amount of activity I get in my regular life even incorporating dedicated exercise.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    ALWAYS. It's my lifestyle and I'm a creature of habit whether I'm on vacation or not.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    I spent 6 weeks in Italy and the UK in 2015 so I did train while I was there but when I went to Punta Cana for 7 days I did nothing but eat and drink.

I'm in London. It's 1430, and I have 17,562 steps in already (via my Garmin), I end up very active but I swear half of my "activity" is finding the best pint in London. So far the current winner is Camden Ink Stout.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    yes <3
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    I do not. The last vacation I was on, I walked 10-13 miles a day. The one before that, I was hitting 13 miles a day again. If I'm walking the equivalent of a half marathon in a day, I'm not going to fret about doing an extra workout on top of it.
  • vallenato1978
    vallenato1978 Posts: 10 Member
    Well, I never used to 😁
    Last spring I left town for about 10 days and I did some running and swimming which felt great. I'm about to head out again and purposefully chose a hotel with a decent gym so I can keep up the workouts. As for diet, I've been cutting for about 3 months now so I am going to take a diet break and switch to maintenance till I get back.

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    I usually don't but on cruises I do. Hubs and son sleep in and I'm up early, makes for a perfect morning. Then I don't feel as bad eating frosted flake battered french toast for breakfast.
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    Wow loads of replies thanks everyone 😁
  • walking2running
    walking2running Posts: 140 Member
    I only ever travel with kids, so the short answer is no, but I'd like to. I hope that the extra walking/ running around makes up for the extra eating. It usually doesn't, but whatever! It's usually the only time that my kids can be with me 24/7 for a few days in a row. My mind is not there.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    I always bring running shoes and I find it fun to run in a new place. I'll usually do a test drive and kind of scope out a route by driving around the area. Then I also find a gym in the area and either get a temporary membership for the duration of my stay or pay a daily fee. I feel better when I exercise and I don't want to feel blah on my vacation.
  • makkimakki2018
    makkimakki2018 Posts: 414 Member
    edited July 2018
    I am going to Alaska soon and I plan on doing lots of hikes and indoor training at the hotel every day because I know im gonna be a piggy :smile:
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    12oz curls, and maybe a little hiking :-)
  • thelegendofsakura89
    thelegendofsakura89 Posts: 105 Member
    Always.
    I go to alot of anime/gaming conventions, and me and my boyfriend always wake up early to hit the hotel gym before the festivities.
  • lizzy_satellite
    lizzy_satellite Posts: 112 Member
    Whenever I go on holiday I walk everywhere; it's unusual for me do under 20k steps per day (at home I average 13k per day). If I'm in a hot climate I don't want to eat as much either, so I usually come home a little lighter than I left (once the water bloat I get from flying subsides; my body does not like being in the air!). If I end up staying somewhere with a pool you better believe I take advantage of that too :)