Water weight fat or muscle

2»

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Water weight fluctuation is neither fat or muscle.

Take your belly revealing selfies first thing in the morning.

Yea my weight is still higher than normal even in the mornings :(

have you pooped yet?
  • jasondjulian
    jasondjulian Posts: 182 Member
    So ever since friday my weight has been on a higher average, i usually start at 155 in the morning but throughout friday-even today its been around 157/158!! I feel extra fat and im hoping its water but ive limited sodium to 500mg and ate lots of watermelon and fruits and potassium and water to try and balance it out and still nothing and not to mention that bowel movements(pooping) has been a struggle too. Please help :(

Bud, relax, it's ok. Humans aren't ever one set weight... we have a weight range. Usually your body weight +/- 2-5lbs for most people. My weight currently fluctuates on my morning weigh-ins from a low of 179 (I liked seeing that number!) to upwards of 182. It was 184 before dropping to 181.6 the next day- clearly all water weight and other temporary weight.

Keep in mind the weight of the food you've eaten within the last 24 hours (figure on an easy 1.5-2lbs of just new food) plus whatever waste is in your system.. sometimes upwards of another 2-3lbs.. if you purged all that out you'd drop a good 5lbs on the scale- but that stuff isn't true body weight either.

Are you drinking lots of water? Water weighs 2.2lbs per liter, or 1kg/L, and most people don't pee out an equal amount of liquid that they've consumed, so if you had 2L of water in a day, 3 or 4 of those little 16.9oz bottles, you've added 4.4lbs of weight to your body, but it won't stick as it's not fat, muscle, bone, organs, etc...
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    So ever since friday my weight has been on a higher average, i usually start at 155 in the morning but throughout friday-even today its been around 157/158!! I feel extra fat and im hoping its water but ive limited sodium to 500mg and ate lots of watermelon and fruits and potassium and water to try and balance it out and still nothing and not to mention that bowel movements(pooping) has been a struggle too. Please help :(

Be patient. Don't try to chase water weight or bowel movements and their effect on the scale. That's not what you're targeting to lose anyway right? Water retention or elimination is a natural process the body uses to accomplish many things. No need at all to manipulate it unless you have a specific medical condition. Many times it's counterproductive to try to eliminate water that your body maybe trying to use for things like muscle repair....

Yes but my stomach is larger than normal and i feel bulkier :(

The waste in your digestive tract weighs something. If you're not moving your bowels, that weight isn't going anywhere. And feeling bloated is common with constipation.

Have you cut back your fat? That can lead to constipation, especially if you're increasing fiber at the same time (both common dieting behaviors).

Yea i dont eat much fat. How much should an average 155 pound man eat. I dont like fatty things like olive oil avocado nuts etc.. i do like salmon but its pretty pricey $$$. Peanut butter is dense in calories so not a fan of that and fat on meat isnt good for you and basically i just naturally dont eat a lot of fat. I guess its just my asian side kicking in considering that most asian diets are nearly fat free

:noway: Fat on meat isn't good for you?!? Ummmmm, wrong.

Not pooping because you refuse to eat fat isn't good for you.

So i should just eat more fat?

The standard answer is 0.35 to 0.45 grams of fat per pound of lean body mass. That's about 60 grams per day for me.

Dietary fat is good for you. Too much may hinder weight loss if it puts you over your calorie allowance.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member

Be patient. Don't try to chase water weight or bowel movements and their effect on the scale. That's not what you're targeting to lose anyway right? Water retention or elimination is a natural process the body uses to accomplish many things. No need at all to manipulate it unless you have a specific medical condition. Many times it's counterproductive to try to eliminate water that your body maybe trying to use for things like muscle repair....

Yes but my stomach is larger than normal and i feel bulkier :(

The waste in your digestive tract weighs something. If you're not moving your bowels, that weight isn't going anywhere. And feeling bloated is common with constipation.

Have you cut back your fat? That can lead to constipation, especially if you're increasing fiber at the same time (both common dieting behaviors).

Yea i dont eat much fat. How much should an average 155 pound man eat. I dont like fatty things like olive oil avocado nuts etc.. i do like salmon but its pretty pricey $$$. Peanut butter is dense in calories so not a fan of that and fat on meat isnt good for you and basically i just naturally dont eat a lot of fat. I guess its just my asian side kicking in considering that most asian diets are nearly fat free

:noway: Fat on meat isn't good for you?!? Ummmmm, wrong.

Not pooping because you refuse to eat fat isn't good for you.

So i should just eat more fat?

Yes. At least try it for a month** and see if your situation improves.

**Once you get your system messed up, it's going to take time to sort itself out. I don't know how much time. A month should be a decent trial, but you could/should see some results more quickly.
  • 303lissy
    303lissy Posts: 427 Member
    Food is broken down into three macro-nutrients: proteins, fat, and carbohydrates. You'll see a lot of fad diets talk about limiting/cutting fats or carbs out completely. That's not good. All three are necessary for a healthy diet. What you get in a typical unhealthy diet is too much fat or too many carbs (or both), leading to too many calories consumed. (For the record, too much protein is also bad for you, it's just way harder to get to that level.) But you body needs all three to function - you should not be cutting fat (or carbs) out completely.
  • quiksylver296
    @justinkimcentral - I saw you post on another thread that you are a teen. How old are you? Your age may require different answers from us.
  • quiksylver296
    @justinkimcentral - I saw you post on another thread that you are a teen. How old are you? Your age may require different answers from us.

Im pretty sure i mentioned i was 18 in like 2 posts :😂

Missed it. Thx