1000 calories a day

Replies

• Jay2God
    Jay2God Posts: 42 Member
    I've listed everything I used on my diary today in total is 1475 calories

your total is 1400 and you have a GOAL of 1800...so you have about 400more calories

have a baked potato or some rice - or are you keeping your carbs low for a reason?

I started intermittent fasting and heard carbs make more insulin that's why I'm trying to keep away from it.

I don't see anything wrong with doing OMAD or low carb, but if you're going to do it then research it and find out why you're going it. "Carbs make more insulin" is a poor understanding of why you're doing something.

Generally speaking, when you reduce carbs you'll have to increase one of the other two macros to make up the calories. Most people choose fat because it's easy. Pick some of your favorite fat sources and start including some variety in your diet.

You seem to be doing a lot of things designed to reduce your appetite (low carb and IF) but then it's going too far in the opposite direction. Hunger signals are a bad way to determine whether or not you're eating enough since the hormones that control them can be knocked out of whack by so many things (including prolonged undereating). Once you get a food scale and get your logging more accurate (be sure you're double-checking that the entries you use are accurate and appropriate as well. There's a lot of bad data in the database) then you need to trust that there's a reason you should eat above your minimum needs and start adjusting to fit your needs.

I can't tell from your log what your meals look like so I'll just ask outright: How are you currently measuring your meats without a scale? Are you measuring them raw or cooked and do the entries you choose match?

Would adding a cup of rice be better to get more calories in? Dont you guys think I'll have a very huge meal?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member

your total is 1400 and you have a GOAL of 1800...so you have about 400more calories

have a baked potato or some rice - or are you keeping your carbs low for a reason?

I started intermittent fasting and heard carbs make more insulin that's why I'm trying to keep away from it.

I don't see anything wrong with doing OMAD or low carb, but if you're going to do it then research it and find out why you're going it. "Carbs make more insulin" is a poor understanding of why you're doing something.

Generally speaking, when you reduce carbs you'll have to increase one of the other two macros to make up the calories. Most people choose fat because it's easy. Pick some of your favorite fat sources and start including some variety in your diet.

You seem to be doing a lot of things designed to reduce your appetite (low carb and IF) but then it's going too far in the opposite direction. Hunger signals are a bad way to determine whether or not you're eating enough since the hormones that control them can be knocked out of whack by so many things (including prolonged undereating). Once you get a food scale and get your logging more accurate (be sure you're double-checking that the entries you use are accurate and appropriate as well. There's a lot of bad data in the database) then you need to trust that there's a reason you should eat above your minimum needs and start adjusting to fit your needs.

I can't tell from your log what your meals look like so I'll just ask outright: How are you currently measuring your meats without a scale? Are you measuring them raw or cooked and do the entries you choose match?

Would adding a cup of rice be better to get more calories in? Dont you guys think I'll have a very huge meal?

It's about your total calories. Some people only eat one meal a day, they just eat their entire intake in that one meal.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member

One meal a day eating plans tend to create huge meals. That's why a lot of people choose it -- they get to eat a lot in one sitting instead of a little throughout the day. If that doesn't work for you then IF may not be the best fit for you eating preferences.

Rice would be fine if you want a carb source. So would potatoes & gravy, bread & butter, sauce for your meat, cheese on the veggies, a slice of cheesecake, a bigger snack, peanut butter and granola with a big glass of milk, whatever you like. Surely you can come up with a big list of foods you like that you could start incorporating once your logging is in order. Some of my favorites are here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
  • Jay2God
    edited July 2018
    malibu927 wrote: »

It's about your total calories. Some people only eat one meal a day, they just eat their entire intake in that one meal.

Alright I'll add rice on my meal then. I eat a granola bar at 2pm and another one at around 4pm and my meal is at 6pm which is the last time I eat until the next day at 2pm again is this fine?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member

Alright I'll add rice on my meal then. I eat a granola bar at 2pm and another one at around 4pm and my meal is at 6pm which is the last time I eat until the next day at 2pm again is this fine?

If it works for you. Meal timing is irrelevant.
  • Jay2God

Your meal timing does not matter unless it harder to reach your nutrition goals. If you like eating like this and you find a way to hit your goals, then it's fine. But if it's making it impossible to eat enough then you might consider switching things around.

Alright thanks I appreciate the help bless.
  • Jay2God

On my macros should I listen to mfp? It tells me to eat more carbs then fat and protein
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

On my macros should I listen to mfp? It tells me to eat more carbs then fat and protein

It's personal preference. As long as you're hitting your calorie goal, you will lose weight while on MFP's suggested macros. But some people like to eat more fat or protein and that's fine too.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited July 2018

You don't actually need to add more food, you just need to log correctly. Your rate of loss is fine, you're eating a LOT more than you think.

this. one day of logging with your new scale wont show you how much you actually have been eating but the math over the past 5 months have. just focus on learning to track EVERYTHING. properly and hit the calorie goals MFP set for you. dont overcomplicate it, just do that.

editing to add: Just as somethign to think about, besides the obvious like condiments and caloric drinks you also need to track, Even prepackaged things can be WAY off. Companies can have up to 20% difference, and since they dont want lawsuits over to little product in their stuff they tend to pack in more. For example, i have a loaf of bread i like, But its slices are commonly 50% more by weight then the nutrition label. At 160 calories a slice 50% more weight makes it 240 calories a slivce vs 160. Make a sandwich from it theres 480 calories vs 320 i expected if i didnt weight it. Seriously weigh everything its eyeopening. I heard a horror story on here once about a pizza pocket...anyone else remember that?
  • losergood2011
    losergood2011 Posts: 172 Member
    gimpybayou0 great job on losing weight! Are you adding the oil you cook in? or the broth? other liquids or things just added? Its amazing how they add up - so you might be eating more than you think.

why don't you try eating a larger meal? I'm amazed your getting all your protein in - I'm supposed to eat 168g a day and I never hit it!! that's a lot of chicken!!

Do you weigh the food? that can be an eye opener too!!

I also IF - no you don't need to add a meal unless you want to - just watch out for the craving mememes to start if your not getting enough calories - then youll fall back and have to regroup
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited July 2018
    lol

You don't actually need to add more food, you just need to log correctly. Your rate of loss is fine, you're eating a LOT more than you think.

At this point, I agree that you should get your weighing and logging of food under control before you start adding food. That way you have a more accurate idea of where you are at. While you are doing this, I would read the helpful information topics at the top of forums!
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    yes its bad. I call BS on hitting OPTIMAL macro/micro goals with only 1000 cals to work with. start slow so you have somewhere to go. when you plateau, what do you expect to do? take out a piece of broccoli? eat 800 calories...etc? focus on your health as well.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    yes its bad. I call BS on hitting OPTIMAL macro/micro goals with only 1000 cals to work with. start slow so you have somewhere to go. when you plateau, what do you expect to do? take out a piece of broccoli? eat 800 calories...etc? focus on your health as well.

OP is eating more than 1000 calories, though. His weight loss is a little over 1.5 lbs per week over about 5 months. The problem is with the logging.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    fb47 wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    May I ask how long you've been eating this way? Often there's a 'honeymoon' period where you feel on top of the world, energized, in control, and amazed at your newfound willpower. Then you crash. Weak, tired, and hungry isn't fun.

I've been doing it for I'd say 5 months now I started at 300 now I'm at 265

That's 7lbs per week, that's just crazy and I am not saying this in a good way.

It's 1.75lbs a week

Perfect rate of loss, you're eating more than you think

Well idk how many days has it been I'm not keeping count just tracking my calories and macros and step on the scale is all I do

By the way I forgot to mention I do not exercise I'm hardly active

Do you, if you have that much will power, then go for it, if you're not active at all, you probably consume calories than of the fit active people who consume a thousand more but only netted 500 by burning off the rest.

Nobody who is fit and active regularly net 500 calories.

That would leave them emaciated.

I like how you add in "regularly" there as it shows you're just banking on a guess lol, Many marathoners, I'm talking elite do look emaciated from prolong calorie deficit, though it's by design as they want to be light as a feather and have an edge. Op will be fine, he eats.more than they do and is losing less weight and won't be emaciated even if he tried.

Any elite athlete worth their salt would not be trying to subsist on 500 net cals, they have to fuel their exercise.

Or rather, any elite athlete who doesn't have an eating disorder wouldn't be trying to subsist on 500 net calories. I suspect many who have had disordered eating have tried (see ballet dancers (who I consider athletes), gymnasts, jockeys, etc). I think most of us know that that is far from sustainable and plenty of people have ended up having to stop training temporarily or primarily and some have died as a result of their disordered eating. Though, of course, by the time their body was in a state where they were in imminent danger they weren't training.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    That's VERY, VERY, bad! Especially long term. 1000 calories a day (unless you're about 3' tall) will lead to muscle loss, and other health issues if continued.

Eat more. Note that once you have eating a very nutritious diet and have all your daily micro/macronutrient goals, you don't get bonus points for eating extra healthy. Have a treat. Enjoy food.