200 crunches a day for a week

FlVF
FlVF Posts: 21 Member
Looking forward to start this challenge!

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    As long as you don't hurt yourself ... and what about cardio and lifting weights?
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Have fun.

I'm gonna deadlift instead. ;)

<3
  • jls1leather
    jls1leather Posts: 68 Member
    I'm more of a 200 crunches TAKE ME A WEEK guy
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Sorry, not a good idea IMO but good luck with that.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    I'm more of a 200 crunches TAKE ME A WEEK guy

I don’t think I’ve done 200 crunches total in my entire life.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Why?
  • rose2_0
    rose2_0 Posts: 150 Member
    y tho?

Don't care about your spine health? Have a lot of free time?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Yep, I want huge ab muscles.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Not for me - I'll squat instead
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Sorry if this is a dumb question... but if you were lean enough and did a ton of crunches like this and had the right genetics would you be able to see abs? Lots of IFS lol but I guess my other question is what types of exercises do those with abs usually do?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a dumb question... but if you were lean enough and did a ton of crunches like this and had the right genetics would you be able to see abs? Lots of IFS lol but I guess my other question is what types of exercises do those with abs usually do?

There are people without abs?!? ;););)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

They do all kinds of exercises that may or may not include ab work. The current consensus is that core strengthening is a good thing for all kinds of reasons, including performing some exercise movements better, but is not necessary for looks. The appearance of abs is mainly dictated by body fat and genetics provided you have the muscle mass for it. Compound lifts will generally engage the abs enough for that purpose, but some like supplementary work.

Crunches, in particular, are not great at activating abs in the right way for muscle building, let alone hundreds of them (which takes them into the endurance category). They're also not good for the spine to boot. So, to answer your question, a ton of crunches will likely not build abs to any significant degree.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member

Deadlifts, squats, overhead press are my main abdominal involving movements. Usually 1-2x a week I will dedicate 4-6 sets to either leg raises or cable crunches
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member

They do all kinds of exercises that may or may not include ab work. The current consensus is that core strengthening is a good thing for all kinds of reasons, including performing some exercise movements better, but is not necessary for looks. The appearance of abs is mainly dictated by body fat and genetics provided you have the muscle mass for it. Compound lifts will generally engage the abs enough for that purpose, but some like supplementary work.

Crunches, in particular, are not great at activating abs in the right way for muscle building, let alone hundreds of them (which takes them into the endurance category). They're also not good for the spine to boot. So, to answer your question, a ton of crunches will likely not build abs to any significant degree.

Wow you just blew my mind right there!!! Awesome info, thanks !