Swimming: music and fitness tracker

I’ve recently remembered how much I love swimming. I have a Polar ft4 and heart rate monitor that works as long as I don’t press buttons underwater. As I lose weight I buy myself gifts. I’d like to have a way to listen to music while swimming (no Bluetooth to my phone, an actual device I can swim with please), but I also want a better fitness watch that will tell me how much I burn to have a better idea. So, the big question is there a watch that will allow both? What do you use? Thank you for all help!

Replies

• FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Whatever you do don't waste your money on the "waterproofed iPod" that cost like $200 and only lasts 1 week...
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    I suspect there aren't any swim watches that will also allow you to listen to music while you swim. There are watches that allow for bluetooth music and also track swimming but you can't do both at the same time. The issue is that water more or less kills bluetooth signals. Essentially what you need is a dedicated waterproof mp3 player and a watch that tracks swimming. Swimoutlet.com carries a number of both.
  • ThePilotsGirl
    ThePilotsGirl Posts: 30 Member
    Thanks! I’ll check that website out. I did learn that the pool plays really loud music and luckily it’s classic rock, so it’s somewhat motivating. Still will search for a heart rate watch. :)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Some BT earbuds have storage built directly into them, can be played without a phone or other device.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    Whatever you do don't waste your money on the "waterproofed iPod" that cost like $200 and only lasts 1 week...

I've had mine for years and it still works wonderfully. The only thing I've had issues with is the earbuds and those were easy enough to replace.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    FL_Hiker wrote: »

Had mine for 3 years and it still works perfectly. Now the headphones...those I’ve changed twice.

I use an Apple Watch to track. That will also sync to Bluetooth waterproof headphones for music.