Planet Fitness?

Replies

• Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    For the most part, I believe that you get what you pay for. You don't want to pay a lot, don't expect much in terms of service or personal attention. If you happen to get it, great, but don't expect it to be part of the package.

As far as non-judgement... I love my club and I feel it's non-judgement. Clubs that have a full fitness staff, customer service staff, membership department, housekeeping and cleaning/operations are more likely to provide an environment that is welcoming and that feels tailored to you. This is just from my own observation, not offering a blanket statement here. Places like PF are cheap and they really don't care if you join, show up, stay or quit. You're just a number and there are thousands more who will join. A little more expensive club is going to work to keep you as a member because the influx of new members isn't nearly as high.

I pay about 800 a month (including 2 training sessions per week) and it's worth every cent for the atmosphere, the staff, the environment, amenities, equipment and caliber of training. It depends what more important to you.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    PokeyBug wrote: »
    As long as you're quiet when you lift. Make any noise, and they'll blast an alarm, bringing the attention of anyone on the premises on you. I forget what they call it, but the concept has always annoyed me. I know it's aimed at getting the super-irritating guys who make excessive noise to settle down, but, sheesh, anyone could accidentally drop their weights. No need to publicly humiliate them for an accident.

The lunk alarm.
  • KV621
    KV621 Posts: 20 Member
    When I lived in Florida I went to one I loved it! The machines they have are very easy to use. I do agree that it’s judgment free, there were all kinds of people all shapes and sizes and no one bothers you. If I had one where I live now I would definitely be going!
  • 1houndgal
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    For the most part, I believe that you get what you pay for. You don't want to pay a lot, don't expect much in terms of service or personal attention. If you happen to get it, great, but don't expect it to be part of the package.

As far as non-judgement... I love my club and I feel it's non-judgement. Clubs that have a full fitness staff, customer service staff, membership department, housekeeping and cleaning/operations are more likely to provide an environment that is welcoming and that feels tailored to you. This is just from my own observation, not offering a blanket statement here. Places like PF are cheap and they really don't care if you join, show up, stay or quit. You're just a number and there are thousands more who will join. A little more expensive club is going to work to keep you as a member because the influx of new members isn't nearly as high.

I pay about 800 a month (including 2 training sessions per week) and it's worth every cent for the atmosphere, the staff, the environment, amenities, equipment and caliber of training. It depends what more important to you.

For $800/mo....sure they’re going to kiss your butt to make you stay. But I don’t think people have to be paying ridiculous amounts of money either. $800 is absurd.

Check your local ymcas. The membership costs are affordable, and scholarships are available to low income people/households.

The ymcas have so many options from water activities ( pool/hot tub jacuzzi /steam room/dry sauna), to excercise and sports activities.
  • 1houndgal
    cnbbnc wrote: »

For $800/mo....sure they’re going to kiss your butt to make you stay. But I don’t think people have to be paying ridiculous amounts of money either. $800 is absurd.

That 800 bucks a month is a lot of money. Yikes.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member

Jeez, and I thought $50 a month for the YMCA with an indoor and outdoor saline-cleaned pool, and elevated track in addition to all the other usual amenities was a lot. And the staff called me by name and kept the place very clean and weights racked.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member

Darn, seems high. If you don't mind me asking what area is this and what is membership vs personal training?
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 87 Member
    I love love fitness classes so that is a deal-breaker for me. I know PF doesn't have them and I really hate cardio machines. If you mostly want to do cardio and aren't interested in classes then PF is a good option as I don't think you can beat the price.
  • rose2_0
    rose2_0 Posts: 150 Member
    Can't do the kind of workout I need/want for myself there...but it's a gym. If you like cardio and lifting light things go for it. I think the company is crap though.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Darn, seems high. If you don't mind me asking what area is this and what is membership vs personal training?

I'm in Chicago. Honestly, a lot of things are expensive out here, but not nearly as expensive as where I grew up in California, so to me, it wasn't a huge price shock. However, I fully recognize that in the world of gyms, that is an expensive cost. The actual membership is about 150/month. The rest of it is for training. I go to a "club," not just a gym so there are perks to that membership aside from just access to equipment. If I just wanted a treadmill and a couple free weights, I'd be somewhere that costs less.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    It wouldn't work for me since they don't have the equipment to lift properly - no squat cages or heavy dumbbells. I also don't see how humiliating people for working out hard enough to grunt is "judgement free" - it seems very judgemental.

My experience with a locally owned gym which is 24 hr access and $15 a month has been nothing but judgement free. Everyone at serious gyms is too busy working out to care what anyone else does.
  • MissAbbieJay
    MissAbbieJay Posts: 42 Member
    I like it overall. Stay away from all the carbs they give out though Lol

Just upgraded to the black card. Very excited about the unlimited massage perk!
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »

I'm in Chicago. Honestly, a lot of things are expensive out here, but not nearly as expensive as where I grew up in California, so to me, it wasn't a huge price shock. However, I fully recognize that in the world of gyms, that is an expensive cost. The actual membership is about 150/month. The rest of it is for training. I go to a "club," not just a gym so there are perks to that membership aside from just access to equipment. If I just wanted a treadmill and a couple free weights, I'd be somewhere that costs less.

$800 a month. That's not a typo? I could rent some place to actually live here for that.

I live in Chicago and you could rent a place for that price here too (granted not a large place though). $800 is a ton to pay.

I got to a local non-chain gym and pay $49 a month. It’s not super massive but has more than enough equipment including multiple squat racks. $150 for a gym membership must be at one of the fanciest gyms out here (equinox, FFC, etc.).

Kind of don’t like the tone that cbean08 set in that post. Kind of felt like condescension for affordable gyms in general. You’ve got to be very wealthy to afford $800/month in a gym membership and personal training. There are plenty of well-equipped gyms in Chicago that are only a fraction of the cost!
  • snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    Until I read this, I thought I was spending a lot for my gym and training. My gym is good size, clean and has plenty of equipment and classes. They have a few locations around our area and one has a pool I could use if desired. It is $40 a month. Personal training sessions are purchased in packages of 5,10, or 20 sessions, but average around $40 a session. So when I purchased my 10 pack, I was going twice a week for five weeks, making that month around $400. I plan to buy some more sessions this fall, but only do them once a week. Still will make those months around $200. Still half of the price of the fancy Chicago one. I don't think even if I could afford it, I would pay that much. I don't personally use any of the extra amenities at my gym. I don't even use the locker rooms, since I live 5 minutes away.
  • Silhouette199
    Silhouette199 Posts: 19 Member
    It's great! I've never had a problem there, and the price is awesome. I've only heard the lunk alarm go off about 3 times in 2 years.