JUST FOR TODAY ....... One day at a time ..... Daily Commitment Thread for 2018

Replies

• PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,322 Member
    I love this group. I realized this morning that I don't seem to post my goals often anymore because I love reading everyone's posts, and then I run out of time before I get my goals posted! So, I'm going to have to start hopping on and posting goals no matter how many posts I am behind, and then go back and read later when I have time. Just so you know, I'm not trying to be rude if I don't answer something right away! :wink:

Really struggled to wake up and go to work today. Sure am happy it is Friday! I've been working, going to different doctor appointments and had two separate MRI's done this week, studied for and took my re-certification exams at work and passed, and at night I've been trying to catch up on MFP in general (particularly JFT) and read Beck's Diet Solution book and do those homework assignments. I've been trying to eat more vegetables. I packed 1 lb of assorted raw veggies a few times this week, and that was my lunch/snack at work. I munch on them throughout the day. I'm actually starting to like them a little more. Veggies have always been a struggle for me. So, I'm trying to make a habit out of eating 1 lb each day.

No news on the MRI's yet. So still waiting to hear if I will need surgery or not. Fingers crossed. The one thing I did find out is that there were no signs of bone metastasis of cancer, so that is always awesome news, although I really wasn't real worried there was!

So, for Beck's Diet Solution, I had to pick two diets...a main plan and a backup plan. My main plan is to be low carb, trying to stick to whole foods the majority of the time without making myself feel too deprived. My back-up plan is going to be CICO.

I also have to find a diet coach. Of course, I will use this group as my daily motivation and reality check--much like I do already! :blush: I'm also going to set up some time with one of the Health Coaches upstairs to meet with me weekly. They've just started a Live Well program here for employees, much like the services they offer other companies in our area. :) So, hopefully between MFP/JFT and the Health Coach I will be able to actually make forward progress!

I also plan to talk to my husband tonight about my goals and ask that he try to help. I'm sure he will. He really wants me to get healthier. He worries about my health a lot--probably a lot more than I do. So, I'm sure he will be on board with cooking healthy and reminding me that I don't need ice cream every night at 8:00. :wink: (He is retired, and I work full-time, so he does the grocery shopping and cooking...)

Just for Friday:
    Log every bite, good and bad
    Read my Advantages Response cards at least twice
    Read Day 7 of Beck's Diet Solution
    Talk to DH about being one of my coaches
    Pay bills
    Complete 3 tasks at work and mark off list
    Throw in load of laundry and pick up laundry room
    Get ready to go fishing tomorrow morning: poles & tackle box, boat, snacks/water (after I watch forecast).
    Gratitude journal, Simple Abundance reading, pre-log tomorrow's meals, watch a movie with DH.

Have a GREAT day everyone!

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,685 Member
    @PackerFanInGB - I am so glad you found a few minutes to update us on your MRI, I have been wondering if you had found any results yet or not.

I have found myself a couple of times copying my JFT from the day before to do my update and post my new ones and then forgetting too because of all the posts I am busy reading. I understand how easily it is too get caught up.

Have a great weekend!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,322 Member
    @jeschepp Very insightful TED talk! Thanks for sharing. I haven't heard her before, but she is spot on. I'm going to look for more stuff by her. :smile:
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    junodog1 wrote: »
    Just For Today - Thursday
    ✅ Stick to the foodplan
    ✅ Stay in the green on calories
    ✅ Plan next days meal - planned Friday, Saturday and Sunday. B)
    ✅ 10K steps
    ✅ Prep for meeting with foundation repair company
    ✅ Contact Congressman's office about missing tax refund

Set the goals low and you can achieve them!

So a little late in the day but the items I can still have on a JFT for today are:
    • Stick to the foodplan
    • Stay in the green on calories
    • 10K steps
    • Plan for Saturday chores
    • Load of Laundry
    • Vacuum downstairs

@mytime6630 I am so glad you made this month's challenge the preplanning of meals. It has reminded me to do that. I always intend to plan, but this helps.

If you are curious about my prior items - we are very unusual in that we have a house with a basement in Florida. We live in a geological area that is a sand ridge down the mid part of the state so the house is well above sea level. Lake_Wales_Ridge There is the house with basement foundation and a garage that is attached at the roof line, but has a separate foundation. The garage foundation has dropped a lot at one end over the last 25 years so we are looking at getting it corrected. Interesting how different the proposals are. One company down, one to go.

Then the other item is about a lovely time we have been having with the IRS. Someone filed taxes before us fraudulently under my husbands number a few years back and we are still trying to get our refund. We have been patient. Our data is well documented. We keep getting the brush off and run around. We finally got fed up and went down to see our local congress representative. Hopefully we will have some movement and a check in the mail before Labor Day. That could help pay for the foundation repair.

This right here below is truth. I could have written this.
    I love this group. I realized this morning that I don't seem to post my goals often anymore because I love reading everyone's posts, and then I run out of time before I get my goals posted! So, I'm going to have to start hopping on and posting goals no matter how many posts I am behind, and then go back and read later when I have time. Just so you know, I'm not trying to be rude if I don't answer something right away! :wink:
  • HGSmith0920
    HGSmith0920 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Holy Crow! 104 posts behind in two days! Lol. My calories are total crap today. Lol. Over did it on dinner and beer.

Gonna have a busy day tomorrow though. There is a street festival going on downtown. Matt and I are helping Mom set up her booth in the morning and then I am helping out at the bank's in the afternoon. The weather is supposed to be iffy though. I hope the rain holds off until 430.

And then on Sunday we're supposed to go to the zoo about 2 hours away. It's a free zoo so hopefully it won't be too hot or anything.

@mytime6630 HAPPY BIRTHDAY🎂🍰

@jeschepp I'm going to watch it before bed!

I have found that when I focus on filing at work I don't spend as much time on my phone hence why I haven't been on the last two days. Lol. I have also had the devil of time getting up in the mornings. My bed has been taking me hostage recently. That and the fact that the DH is very warm and comfy. Lol.

So JFT, 7-21-18

1. Set up mom's booth in AM
    2. Put chicken in crock pot
    3. Work at bank booth 130-430
    4. Chicken/rice/peas for dinner
    5. DH time
    6. 4 bottles of water
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Catching up after a not great day yesterday. I got completely overwhelmed by evening time by a combination of factors and fell off the wagon spectacularly.

There had been some issues with a colleague due to crossed wires causing stress all week plus it was the last week of term so manic getting everything wrapped up and emotional saying goodbye to my class for the last time. And when you are handed gifts of sweets, chocolate, biscuits etc...

If I’m honest I’m also feeling a little anxiety about being out of routine on holiday over the next couple of weeks. I’m going with my kids and my parents who are amazing and mean well but sometimes a little domineering and often unsupportive of my health and fitness goals. I’m just going to focus on being really positive for my girls and trying to stay calm with my parents. I’ll be loosely tracking and trying to get some exercise in without it interfering with the holiday. I need to remember how fortunate I am to be able to go away on holiday and that the important thing is to be present with the children and watch them have fun and flourish. If that means sacrificing a few workouts or gaining a couple of pounds so be it.

Recap Goals for Friday
    - morning workout ✅
    - April challenge ✅
    - May challenge ✅
    - June challenge :s fail!
    - July challenge :/ planned but did not stick to it
    - Eyebrows/tan after work ✅ eyebrows yes, tan no
    - Pack hand luggage ✅
    - Look up resistance band workouts ✅ have a few saved on my phone
    - Early night for all of us! ✅

Goals for Saturday
    - morning workout
    - Leave on time to get to parents place
    - Drink lots of water at airport
    - Avoid plane meal - buy something healthier and more tasty at airport
    - Rest, breathe, stay positive
    - Be in the moment with the kids

Have a great weekend all. Not sure if I’ll be back on here much over the next couple of weeks so sending hugs and high fives to you all and I’ll ‘see’ you soon x
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Ooh and happy birthday @mytime6630! X
  • Snowflake1968
    Faebert wrote: »
    Catching up after a not great day yesterday. I got completely overwhelmed by evening time by a combination of factors and fell off the wagon spectacularly.

There had been some issues with a colleague due to crossed wires causing stress all week plus it was the last week of term so manic getting everything wrapped up and emotional saying goodbye to my class for the last time. And when you are handed gifts of sweets, chocolate, biscuits etc...

If I’m honest I’m also feeling a little anxiety about being out of routine on holiday over the next couple of weeks. I’m going with my kids and my parents who are amazing and mean well but sometimes a little domineering and often unsupportive of my health and fitness goals. I’m just going to focus on being really positive for my girls and trying to stay calm with my parents. I’ll be loosely tracking and trying to get some exercise in without it interfering with the holiday. I need to remember how fortunate I am to be able to go away on holiday and that the important thing is to be present with the children and watch them have fun and flourish. If that means sacrificing a few workouts or gaining a couple of pounds so be it.

Recap Goals for Friday
    - morning workout ✅
    - April challenge ✅
    - May challenge ✅
    - June challenge :s fail!
    - July challenge :/ planned but did not stick to it
    - Eyebrows/tan after work ✅ eyebrows yes, tan no
    - Pack hand luggage ✅
    - Look up resistance band workouts ✅ have a few saved on my phone
    - Early night for all of us! ✅

Goals for Saturday
    - morning workout
    - Leave on time to get to parents place
    - Drink lots of water at airport
    - Avoid plane meal - buy something healthier and more tasty at airport
    - Rest, breathe, stay positive
    - Be in the moment with the kids

Have a great weekend all. Not sure if I’ll be back on here much over the next couple of weeks so sending hugs and high fives to you all and I’ll ‘see’ you soon x

Have a great trip!
  • jeschepp
    jeschepp Posts: 307 Member
    @Bex953172 I used to call myself the queen of procrastination ALL the time! I've done a lot of work on it, and of course there's still work left to do. Ah! I love that you enjoyed the video! Virtual hug back to you :) I highly recommend her book "The 5 Second Rule." It goes in depth into the research on how to kick-start yourself around all the things you avoid or just never seem to accomplish. It really breaks down some simple steps and helps cut through all of the mental clutter (and I have a lot). One big one I did was learn how to stop using the snooze button. And I was the worst when it came to getting up the morning-literally an hour of hitting the snooze. It also has a lot of examples from people she's coached, some were helpful and some were not. Anyway the book is magical and amazing and I've actually "read" it twice because I got so much out of it. I got it on audiobook because I wanted to hear her voice kicking my butt into gear each day :smiley: Another book that super helped me was "Power of Habit" by Charles Duhigg. He's also got a Ted Talk if you want to check him out in a small bite vs. jumping into a full book.

The hardest thing I still struggle with is filtering out what I need to do vs. what I "should" do. I have a million "shoulds" in a day and frequently end up beating myself up when I don't get to everything, which is never realistic and usually just what I think will please other people. It's really hard for me to recognize that stepping back and focusing small (main priorities vs. tons of busy work) actually gets more done and has a greater impact in the long run. Anyway, you made my day and congrats on all the progress!
  • jeschepp
    jeschepp Posts: 307 Member
    @Faebert Your post really spoke to me tonight. I've been doing well when I'm in my main routine, but any change in schedule or trip throws me off. I'm learning, but it's such a process. I have to remember to be kind, forgive myself, and move on to the next healthy choices I do have control over. Good luck and I know we'll get there!

Checkin' in:
    Learn about my fitbit ✅ getting there
    Survive last day of the workweek! ✅
    Do maximum pushups able ✅ 1 full, 3 modified
    30 minutes exercise ✅
    Track food and exercise ✅
    Eat all servings of 5 food groups ✅
    Meet 1200-1400 net calories, counting exercise ✅
    Water challenge-80 oz. ✅
    Post here for accountability ✅

For tomorrow:
    Start planning for next week's trip
    Run errands
    Do maximum pushups able
    30 minutes exercise
    Track food and exercise
    Eat all servings of 5 food groups
    Meet 1200-1400 net calories, counting exercise
    Water challenge-80 oz.
    Post here for accountability
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    @mytime6630 Belated happy birthday wishes!

@PackerFaninGB, do you like chinese food? One of my easy "veg loading" is the stir fry veg that they sell frozen by the pound...just drop it in boiling water for 30 seconds and drain, or stir fry on the stove and then toss with soy sauce and garlic powder and sesame seeds. Delicious and really fills you with the veggies.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,048 Member
    Right I got lazy again and started F-ing around.
    And guess what, every morning I have awful amounts of stomach wind which makes me feel sick.

So..
    Just for Saturday
    - 8 glasses of water
    - Be in the green
    - Exercise
    - no food past 9pm
    - no chocolate/biscuits or sweets

Its 5.30 am here, girls got me up at 5. I gave them breakfast and sent then back to bed. Which is what I'm doing now. Going back to bed.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Just for Friday (actual Friday this time!):

1. Log everything I eat and stay under goal.
    2. Drink at least 8 glasses of water before work.
    3. Physical therapy morning and evening.
    4. Aldi shopping.
    5. Recycle glass
    6. Kitchen closed, brush teeth, and in bed by 1 am

So I did none of this. Didn't even stay under goal. Was starving when I got off work and went to Taco Bell. I think I need to plan to do more things on the weekend now that I'm working all week long. Tomorrow I will do better.
  • Snowflake1968
    JFT - Friday July20
    2L of Water - :( No, was delayed starting and it's so hard to get caught up. Think I got in 1.5
    Stay in Green by 150 - >:) - I had a breakfast sandwich that totally messed up my calories all day.
    Outside 15 Minutes - :) Outside for the whole morning!
    Walk maybe, will depend on Michaela's mood - :/ - her mood was great and so was mine, the weather though was very grumpy. Thunder, Lightning, Rain and Hail off and on all evening.

JFT - Saturday July 21
    2L of Water
    Stay in Green by 150
    Outside 15 Minutes
    Walk
    Clean and laundry

So I believe it was Monday that I decided that each day except Sunday's and a few special days I would have 150 Calories left at the end of the day. I made it 4 out of the 5 days, so that's a pretty big improvement. Yesterday I had a sausage breakfast sandwich and large double double coffee at the parade. These two items alone left me with only 550 calories for the whole day! It's hard to believe just a year or so ago I would have had this almost daily! Funny part is the sandwich really wasn't that delicious. I can't say the same for the coffee, I enjoyed it so much! I guess it will be a sweet treat still once in a while.

Michaela has been up since 6, this is almost 3 hours earlier than her usual and she went to bed about 2 hours later. She's just a little grouchy, I hope she has a great nap for her Mother this afternoon. I see on facebook, they didn't get home until 1am so I'll be having her for a while.

• Snowflake1968
    I wanted to share this as there are so many of us that seem to have a love of ice cream. This is a satire site that I follow from my home province. I don't know who the writer is but he/she makes me laugh quite frequently.

https://themanatee.net/woman-acutely-aware-of-amount-of-ice-cream-in-freezer/
  • junodog1
    edited July 2018
    I wanted to share this as there are so many of us that seem to have a love of ice cream. This is a satire site that I follow from my home province. I don't know who the writer is but he/she makes me laugh quite frequently.

My eyes are watering as I read this to my husband. It's all true - even the bit about the chips at the end. Chocolate chips.
  • junodog1
    @mytime6630

Belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY
    h5f8k4t7mvlb.jpg

• Snowflake1968
    junodog1 wrote: »

My eyes are watering as I read this to my husband. It's all true - even the bit about the chips at the end. Chocolate chips.

I’m glad you enjoyed it! I know it was true for me too lol
  • oboeing
    oboeing Posts: 1,816 Member
    this past week i was visiting relatives, whose idea of food includes powered mashed potatoes, canned veggies, ice cream, full calorie sodas, hawaiian punch, and cookies.

the day after we got there, we went to the store and bought diet soda (i have one a day because i'm not a coffee drinker and i MUST have caffeine) and LOTS of fruit.

i did really well the first 2 days, even with the limited food i could eat. then we went to cracker barrel for brunch and it was all downhill from there. (it's really difficult to eat healthy when your lunching at a rest stop on a turnpike and getting right back on the road, but i managed to do well on one of the two drive days...)

back at it today!

Today's commitments:
    stick to logged food
    12,000 steps
    finish food prep (cauliflower fried rice still to be made!)
    finish menu and grocery list for next week
    work out
    go to bed before 10
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,048 Member
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    Right I got lazy again and started F-ing around.
    And guess what, every morning I have awful amounts of stomach wind which makes me feel sick.

So..
    Just for Saturday
    - 8 glasses of water
    - Be in the green
    - Exercise
    - no food past 9pm
    - no chocolate/biscuits or sweets

Its 5.30 am here, girls got me up at 5. I gave them breakfast and sent then back to bed. Which is what I'm doing now. Going back to bed.

What the actual?! I do NOT remember posting these this morning! 😂

I really shouldn't post at 5am!
    Already failed on the last one. But I've ate in moderation!
    Not sure I'm gonna achieve much here but I don't think I've had an over indulgent day. Just breakfast lunch and dinner is on now.
    I reckon if I hold off the snacks after tea, and get atleast 5 cups of water in o might just be okay. Probably not in the green but it won't be over by much