For people who do IF....

stfpa
stfpa Posts: 62 Member
I want to try eating only during a certain window of time because eating small portions just doesn’t work as well for me lol. I eat around 1200 calories a day because I don’t have much to lose (I’m 5’4, 155 lbs, and trying to get down to 125).

My question is, what time do you usually eat? And how do you keep from having no energy or having a headache during the fasting periods? Does that feeling eventually go away?

Replies

• fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited July 2018
    Every 4 hours, but I have 2460 calories on my cut to work with which is why I am able to do it. When I used to fast last year, I would find small tricks to keep my satiated, I would drink lots of water, I would drink coffee and tea, I would have pickles for snacks (only 5 calories), jello....basically food that were less than 10 calories and tricked my body into thinking that I was full. Caffeine is your best friend and I never had headaches....maybe I was lucky. I wouldn't do IF though, not my preference. I only did it last year to experiment with it.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    I drink water first thing, followed by a copious amount coffee which might or might not have milk added. I have my first meal around noon, often just greek yogurt, cottage cheese, and fruit, and if I am hungry, an ounce or so of cereal mixed in. I eat again in the mid-afternoon and might have a small snack before my last meal of the day (around 7 PM) which is the one highest in calories. The first two meals will have half of my protein for the day. This is a pattern that has worked for me before I ever heard of IF. On days that I am more active, I eat more but since forever I have either skipped breakfast or elided it into lunch.
  • thelegendofsakura89
    thelegendofsakura89 Posts: 105 Member
    I drank a ton of black coffee in the beginning, but the feeling goes away. I used to eat at 1pm, 4, and 7...but now I generally only eat one meal a day at like 6pm, with an occasional 36-48 hour water fast if I feel up to it.

Strangely, fasting leaves me feeling a ton better than calorie restriction. It's not necessary and not for everyone (I know, so don't "woo" me lol), but it's a personal preference.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    I've done IF for a long time. I never feel weak or have headaches. As a matter of fact, I weight train fasted and eat right after. Not for any reason other than it fits my schedule. Personally, I find IF better for my hunger signalling because I can delay eating indefinitely without hunger issues. But once I start, then I want to eat more as the day progresses

My questions would be how much weight do you have to lose, what is your height and current weight and how many calories are you eating. You may not be fueling adequately and IF only makes that worse.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    stfpa wrote: »
    I want to try eating only during a certain window of time because eating small portions just doesn’t work as well for me lol. I eat around 1200 calories a day because I don’t have much to lose (I’m 5’4, 155 lbs, and trying to get down to 125).

My question is, what time do you usually eat? And how do you keep from having no energy or having a headache during the fasting periods? Does that feeling eventually go away?

With your stats, you should be aiming for no more than 1 lb per week, and you should be logging exercise and eating back at least some of those calories. 1200 cals is not a lot, especially for a young person of average height and weight. If you are experiencing low energy or headaches, your low calorie goal might be why. Also check out your macros, if you are rather low in any of them, that might cause it too.

Having said that, some people just don't do well with long periods of not eating. I can sometimes do okay in the morning by holding off breakfast, but otherwise if I go more than 4 or 5 hours I get a headache and become a cranky-pants.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

With your stats, you should be aiming for no more than 1 lb per week, and you should be logging exercise and eating back at least some of those calories. 1200 cals is not a lot, especially for a young person of average height and weight. If you are experiencing low energy or headaches, your low calorie goal might be why. Also check out your macros, if you are rather low in any of them, that might cause it too.

Having said that, some people just don't do well with long periods of not eating. I can sometimes do okay in the morning by holding off breakfast, but otherwise if I go more than 4 or 5 hours I get a headache and become a cranky-pants.

Agree. And I should have looked back at the OP for the data.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member

I normally eat between 12pm and 8pm but some days I go over or under those hours. On other days I could eat at 3pm and 8pm. I find two good meals more satisfying.

Also your stats are similar to mine. I’m also 5’ 4”, 149lbs (started off as 163lbs) but I’m eating 1500 calories a day/10500 per week and I have PCOS. Do you factor in exercise calories? I only eat 1200 calories on my lazy days.

Maybe you could eat 1400 calories a day? I dunno but 1200 seems too low unless you have like 5-10lbs to lose.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    When I eat certain foods, I tend to naturally fall into IF due to lower hunger. I typically eat my first meal between 1-3pm, then 5-6pm, and sometimes an evening snack around 9, depending on hunger.

I dontget headaches or fatigued unless I need more salt. I think if you get those symptoms, it might be caused by lower electrolytes. If your insulin levels are falling, due to a lower carb and protein intake, that can cause you to lose water and electrolytes. Try supplementing a bit if salt, like a cup of bone broth or a half to a full teaspoon of salt with water. If it is caused by low sodium, you should feel a bit better within an hour or so. If not, you'll just excrete out the extra sodium.

Good luck!
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    edited July 2018
    I don't do IF, if it does happen, it's because I'm having a super hectic day at work and literally did not have the time to grab a meal. I'm around the same as you. I'm 5'5 and 146lbs - I'm wanting to get down to around 125 - 130 range. And I'm also around the 1200 - 1300 calorie range.

Generally my eat habits are such:

Breakfast around 8AM
    Small snack a couple hours later at work.
    Lunch around 1ish
    Small snack part 2 around 4:30 - 5PM
    Dinner sometime before 8PM.

On days I run, I tend to eat a few more carbohydrates to keep me energized and recover properly for the next run day scheduled. Also eating back a few more of those calories from exercise as well.

On days I don't run, I keep my carbohydrates to a relatively low level.

Edited to add: Everyone has a different way of doing things, and our bodies are all different and work in sometimes mysterious ways. This is just the way that works for me. :)

I wish you the best of luck on your journey!

• Urbancowbarn
    Urbancowbarn Posts: 97 Member
    edited July 2018
    I eat between 11am and 7pm. When you’re starting IF it really helps to stay hydrated — I drank a lot water initially and also black coffee and unsweetened green tea. I am still mindful to stay hydrated from the time I wake up to breaking my fast because I’m an early riser. I also found simple carbs made me hungrier faster and that protein and fiber are my bffs.
  • lillypade
    lillypade Posts: 77 Member
    I am new to IF I just started but I am trying the 16:8 my eating is 10:00-6:00. The first name I was hungry n the morning when I was fasting the following day not so much I think it takes a few days for ur body to realize that it’s not going to get food as soon as u wake up. Drank lots of water. Mayb up ur calories a little. Like I said I am new to this also. Good luck
  • lillypade
    lillypade Posts: 77 Member
    I found this on you tube found it helpful. How To Start Intermittent Fasting For Weight Loss - Beginners Guide | Ashley Salvatori