Handstand Challenge

Replies

• TiisTitanium
    TiisTitanium Posts: 235 Member
    @mom23mangos - i head you on the variability One day it feels like I am a hand balancing superstar, the next if feel like i am struggling to balance during a wall drill.

Definitely put as much weight as possible on your hands. When we are working on press handstand drills one of the cures is to put weight in your hands and lean forward as much as possible before lifting feet off the ground.

@hesn92 - if it makes you feel less concerned about the lack of gymnastics. experience i have been only into for a few years after a lifetime of being sedentary.

I have had a few slow days fitness wise as I had a bad case of can't be bothered. Sort of motivated this morning but then i over stretched one of my shoulders which made handstands hard work. Managed to bust out a few elbow stands but then abandoned lyra class to avoid making things worse.

mpotiux1fcpe.jpg
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Handstand Practice

July 1 – 5 min
    July 2 – 5 min
    July 3 – 5 min inc 7 and 10 second handstands
    July 4 – 5 min
    July 5 – 5 min
    July 6 – 5 min
    July 7 – 5 min
    July 8 – 5 min gradual progress
    July 9 – 5 min in my new yoga studio 
    July 10 – 5 min inc splits
    July 11 – 5 min
    July 12 – 5 min inc hollowbody
    July 13 – 5 min wrist & recovery after running speed session
    July 14 – 5 min still sore
    July 15 – 5 min stretching. Still sore and now a sore arm!

Hollowbody really gave me a sore core!! LOL so much for me saying I have a strong core! :smiley:

Today I have a sore arm! Just leg/hamstring stretching, which I've found helps with bail outs.

One cue that's really helped me is when I put a lot of weight on my hands before attempting to kick up. If I just lightly place them there, it's more difficult. But if I really put as much of my weight on my hands as I can and just lightly kick up, it's much easier.

@mom23mangos What an insightful tip! Thanks!

@rodmelching Have you been practicing? Haven't seen an update, but thought of you on my run this morning.

• TiisTitanium
    Back to contortion class tonight and lots of handstand drills. I even managed a 2 minute wall handstand which impressed my trainer.

A mildly funny handstand related story. I go on holiday to the UK in three weeks. Last night I was scrolling through instagram for some information and up popped a post about someone from the London School of Handstands. Further investigations revealed they are running casual classes and it is not ludicrously far from where I am meant to be staying. i am stupidly excited about the thought of it. I think i might see if I can find classes in other places I am visiting :)
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    You should @TiisTitanium ! We get a lot of travelling drop ins at my aerial place. I'm very impressed with your 2min wall handstand as well. That's a LONG time. I can only last about 45sec.

My balance was feeling OK today. No long holds, but some consistent 7-10s ones.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    friday and saturday i spent time with handstands. i felt reasonable secure when i did it in fabric. walk ups to the wall was a little iffy, but overall, i feel improvement and i think on the edge of a balancing breakthru
  • Orphia
    My core and arm are better, and I was happy with today's handstands.

10 seconds without needing the wall at all.

https://youtu.be/WsUnWrNNkTM
  • mom23mangos
    Great job @Orphia ! I'm so jealous of your space. To have room to cartwheel!

Took the pup for a walk around the nearby university and practiced handstands everywhere. 😂 I had a couple decent holds, but most were just a few seconds. And very ugly.

https://youtu.be/EjuOqBrIUaw

• Orphia
    @mom23mangos Thanks! I love your video! Nice shots with different scenery behind in each hold.
  • Orphia
    @TiisTitanium I've been doing some drawing using my iPad Pro and Pencil today, and here's one of you.

Only learning with the app I'm using, so excuse the roughness.

p2f61z552s2e.jpeg
  • TiisTitanium
    Aww thanks @Orphia. That is beautiful. It made me a little teary in a nice way. My little artist daughter was very impressed with your work. Haha she also said - "You inspired art, you really are amazing".

I am feeling very happy with myself tonight. My handstand instructor says i have made a massive improvement in my handstand skills over the past couple of weeks. And I nailed tuck handstands which have eluded me for ages. Happiness truly is found upside down.
  • mom23mangos
    That is so cool @Orphia! And congrats on your instructor's compliments and nailing your tuck @TiisTitanium. I freaking hate tuck jumps.
  • Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,469 Member

Took the pup for a walk around the nearby university and practiced handstands everywhere. 😂 I had a couple decent holds, but most were just a few seconds. And very ugly.

https://youtu.be/EjuOqBrIUaw

Love this!!! :smiley:
  • mom23mangos
    edited July 2018
    I got the best tip today that I just have to share. A trainer at my gym that knows I've been working on handstands told me he saw a tip on YouTube this week that he immediately thought of me. He said when kicking up, concentrate on tapping the toe of the back leg to the heel of the leading leg. IT WORKS! Like a total game changer for me. I was so much more consistent and in control with my kickups and able to hold so much better.
  • rodmelching
    rodmelching Posts: 67 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    Handstand Practice

@rodmelching Have you been practicing? Haven't seen an update, but thought of you on my run this morning.

@Orphia . . sorry I've really busy with work and haven't posted anything. Yep, been working on my handstands off and on at the gym after my workouts depending on my energy level. Maybe one of these days I'll get brave and post a picture. LOL
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member

I think they were awesome!
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    Woohooo!
    My 1st successful kickup to a wall-stand,
    and I hung up long enough for a HANDSTAND!

Was SO excited!

37595598_10217308300565449_2535689146131808256_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=a268d2d15383ca21db3157458a722c78&oe=5BC8F9D1

Here's the kick-up to wall-stand.
    A bit to much of an arch:
    37582224_10217308302085487_6293119552502890496_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=3794831afbdc9c739f0a401a4fcba33a&oe=5BDF80E1
  • Orphia
    Yay, @huango !!!

• Orphia
    Day 52.

One touch of the wall, then a 13 second hold.

https://youtu.be/iKjdqvPXe-8
  • TiisTitanium
    We spent time on handstands again tonight in contortion class. I wasn't feeling the love at all in drill time but still managed to get in a few good balances and did some sneaky hollowbacks when the instructor wasn't paying attention to me - and i got to wear my favourite handstand shirt

0g9c2z9n7kz0.jpg

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,645 Member
    More handstands at yoga today. I managed to hold one for at least 30 seconds (wish I’d actually timed it), with a bit of help. One of the reasons I stayed up so long is my instructor came over to chat to my partner about how she was assisting me. Rather than lightly holding my hips to help me balance, she placed her hand between my ankles and had me squeeze it as hard as I could. This meant I kept my balance without her actually holding me!