OH won’t eat vegetables. Any advice for my own health?

Replies

• debs_w
    debs_w Posts: 5 Member
    Burgers with burgers? Lol. He doesn't have to shop with you...mine doesn't. Just get what you want. I mostly eat fresh. I find a lot of frozen veggies get mushy.

He doesn’t have to shop with me but he lives at home and I work away during the week so get home Friday evening and usually leave on a Sunday evening or Monday evening if I can work from home. I have to sort out weekend food and get him set up for the week which he should be capable of doing but it doesn’t happen. Instead he’ll happily get alternating dominos and kebab takeaways.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Frozen vegetables are least wasteful because you can cook enough for just you.
    Some fresh vegetables have a longer shelf life. You can keep raw carrots, sweet potatoes, onions, cabbage longer than lettuce and tomato. https://www.cooksmarts.com/cooking-lessons/cooking-produce/buying-storing/
    You can freeze many excess fresh vegetables before they go bad.
    http://dish.allrecipes.com/how-to-freeze-fruits-and-vegetables/
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    debs_w wrote: »
    Burgers with burgers? Lol. He doesn't have to shop with you...mine doesn't. Just get what you want. I mostly eat fresh. I find a lot of frozen veggies get mushy.

He doesn’t have to shop with me but he lives at home and I work away during the week so get home Friday evening and usually leave on a Sunday evening or Monday evening if I can work from home. I have to sort out weekend food and get him set up for the week which he should be capable of doing but it doesn’t happen. Instead he’ll happily get alternating dominos and kebab takeaways.

I work from home and often don't leave the house for days. My OH picks up veggies for me several times per week. Your OH's refusal to be in the veggie section sounds like the symptom of a larger problem.

If there is any chance he is angry with you for being away during the week and being passive-aggressive about food, then the veggie issue is just a symptom and this is a matter best resolved in marriage counseling.

My OH and I often eat the same meats with very different sides. For example, when we have burgers, I have a huge salad with mine and my OH has Fritos or Doritos.

Cabbage and whole carrots have very long shelf lives. I often get a several months supply when these are on sale in March for St. Patrick's day. I might need to cut a thin slice off the cut side of the cabbage.

Heads of romaine lettuce have decent shelf lives. You could probably finish a whole small cucumber or whatever salad veggies you like over the course of a weekend.

Good luck!
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Veggies keep for several days so if you can supplement your meals for a few days with one batch of veggies or salad. Just don't dress the salad until you're ready to eat it.

Im trying to figure out what's going on here...does your husband get upset if you have veggies during a meal? Does it cause conflict if you have different food on your plate? I'm just trying to figure out why this is even an issue. I don't understand why you both can't just eat what you want. My initial thought is this is a controlling relationship, but I don't want to jump to conclusions. Roast some root veggies or microwave a can of green beans for something simple.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    In my part of the country Wal-Mart provides a pickup service. You could do your shopping online before you return from work for Friday and pick it up on your way home.

For workaday snacking I get frozen edamame. I package them in to single serving sizes and by the time lunchtime rolls around they are defrosted enough for eating.

I'm not sure why you are bothering to get him sorted for weekday dinners. If I were you I'd be happy to let him fend for himself.

You mentioned tomato sauce. Tomato is a fruit/vegetable. So he's getting something. If you feel like sneaking a little in, shredded carrot bulks up tomato sauce quite nicely.
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    There’s a very unhealthy dynamic at play here that is concerning. OP, what would happen if you went to the store without him and just bought vegetables? You shouldn’t have to resort to that, but you might need to.

I also think you should ask yourself why he’s putting up obstacles every step of the way for you.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Marriage sounds like a great place to learn how to compromise. I also married the baby in the family and he's learned, on certain issues, to approach me very, very carefully. So he does.

Go for the frozen veggies! Spinach only lasts a few days. That's what it's like. Spinach also comes frozen.

Now, root vegetables can keep very well in a cool dark cupboard. This includes the sweet potatoes, potatoes, parsnips and carrots. If you want to throw money away you can get frozen potatoes, but I've never found reason to do that.