Minimum Calories to eat per day

There are days when I feel like I could eat a lot fewer calories but I know that I should at least eat a minimum number of calories for general health. Is there a minimum for men while watching calories? I am not sure how to accurately ask this question. I just don't want to get in that destructive cycle where I eat too little and overdo this while losing weight.

My daily calories are set at a 1 pound per week loss. I plan on lowering that to 1/2 pound per week as I get closer to my goal weight.

I currently weigh 198 and my goal weight is 180 (started at 208). My current daily calories to eat is calculated (by MFP) to be to consume 1,920 calories. I am eating back a good percentage of the calories that I burn exercising daily (giving me extra calories to eat). I am consistently on most days ending up with what I think is too many extra calories left over to eat, but I feel good so far.

I don't want to eat just to eat back calories if I am not hungry. I guess this will kind of solve itself as my calories to eat per day go down with my weight loss and this balances out when I get to where I am 'supposed' to be for a 56 year old male, active, and am 5'10".

Thank you!

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    The general rule is that men should not net below 1500 calories per day.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    You can look at your calorie goal for the week instead of the day. On days you aren't as hungry, eat less. And then on other days, you have more room for an extra helping or treat.

The real test is your weight loss. If you are losing weight too fast, you're eating too little. the recommended min for men is 1500, to ensure you are getting a minimum of nutrition and fuel.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    You can look at your calorie goal for the week instead of the day. On days you aren't as hungry, eat less. And then on other days, you have more room for an extra helping or treat.

The real test is your weight loss. If you are losing weight too fast, you're eating too little. the recommended min for men is 1500, to ensure you are getting a minimum of nutrition and fuel.

^^^^^^^ +1 What she said! I was thinking the exact same thing and have suggested this to several people today. I look at the week....not the individual day....as the measuring unit. To me, it is a huge change in mindset. And it really helps (well, at least the way my noggin works).
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 789 Member
    THANK YOU THREE! That was very helpful!!!!