How many calories for breakfast?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    edited July 2018
    I always eat breakfast, and it's around 500-700 calories.

Holy cow! 700 cals for breakfast?! Do you still lose weight or are you just maintaining?

Do you eat less later in the day then?
    I'm actually trying to gain, but I would still be around 500-600 for maintaining. My calorie maintenance is a little over 2,000 a day, which is probably higher than yours.

The app has me at 1200 calories a day. :(

Because you picked the most aggressive weekly weight loss possible. Unless you are very very short and practically bedridden, it's lower than you need to go.

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    Just wondering how many calories people have for just breakfast. Do you have breakfast at all?

I find if I don't eat bfast then I tend to eat more in the evening. But I'm not really hungry at bfast. So I don't always eat. But I'm starving by lunch.

Any go to faves for feeling full through till lunch?

I like having more calories later in the day so break my fast with a coffee/protein powder smoothie.

63fd67c339fe06f13c89cd8dd1f48cad.png
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 87 Member
    Usually between 200 and 300 calories.
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    600-700 for breakfast. I do my workouts in the morning so I go carb heavy with some protein to fuel me. Then I reduce carbs for the rest of the day, keep the protein high and do about 700 calories per meal.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I eat between 300 and 450 usually. I'd say about 75% of what I'd eat for lunch or dinner. I usually do not eat a morning snack. I do usually eat an afternoon snack or a before bed snack, depending on my timing of dinner. I guess you could say I eat 4x a day, not 3.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I usually have e coffee with cream, and sometimes snack on some peanuts with it. Sometimes I'm hungry and will have a packet of oatmeal or an egg. If not, I take a protein bar with me to work to eat when I do feel hungry. I don't want to end up starving before lunch!
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Some days I eat just a granola bar and a cup of tea or milk, or a fruit. That ends up being about 200-300 calories.

Some days I make a bigger breakfast of eggs, potatoes, turkey bacon, or rarely pancakes that can total 600 calories. On those days, I typically only eat 2 meals.
  • confidenceinrain
    confidenceinrain Posts: 104 Member
    Between 200 and 300. I usually have a little Greek yogurt with fruit and muesli (the kind with nuts in), plus coffee with milk and sugar. Small portions but it's filling. On weekends we go for a lot of long walks in the hills (today about 15 miles) so usually have eggs or fish sticks or something else with more calories and protein.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2018
    5 calories -700 calories.
    Sometimes I'm not hungry at all in the morning so I just have coffee, other times I'm very hungry in the morning so I have a big breakfast. I just wait until I'm hungry to eat my first meal and sometimes that doesn't happen until lunch. Today my breakfast was 421 calories.
    y77yjgbs9hqi.png

Usually, my normal days overall end up somewhere between 1500 and 2000 calories (1450 base calories and the rest is exercise calories), so even a 700 calories breakfast is easily doable, but I prefer a larger lunch most days over a larger breakfast.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    kami3006 wrote: »
    I don't eat breakfast. My first meal is around 11 a.m. so it's really lunch. I am hungry all day if I eat any earlier than that. I pre log my evening snack because I like to eat before bed and then split my calorie between two larger meals. 11 a.m. and 6 p.m..

Interesting. I consider anything before noon breakfast. I had my breakfast today at 11.
  • ClaudiaDawn2
    ClaudiaDawn2 Posts: 103 Member
    I usually have between 250 and 300 calories. When I eat oatmeal, that bumps my calorie intake up to 400 calories; but I find it much more filling.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    I'm maintaining at a high weight right now; my breakfasts tend to clock in around 500 calories. When I'm losing my breakfasts are usually between 200-300 calories, when I eat them at all. I'm a night eater so when I'm working on losing weight I tend to save most of my calories for dinner and nighttime snacks.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,227 Member
    200-300. I am not a huge fan of eating breakfast but with the schedule I am currently on, I find eating it is better then not. I used to be able to get up later at my old job so I didn't have as long to wait until lunch. Now I find myself getting hungry sooner.

During the week I have 3 main meals for breakfast:
    Greek yogurt and almonds
    Breakfast burrito
    Loaded hashbrowns (mushrooms, onion, peppers, bacon, and an egg)
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    My breakfast meals are between 150 - 350 calories depending on whether I'm running that morning or not.
  • TayaCurragh
    TayaCurragh Posts: 709 Member
    My calorie goal is around 1200, for breakfast I eat less than 250.

I usually swap between shredded wheat and milk, or porridge made with half milk half water. I find keeping to whole grains in the morning keeps me full until lunchtime.

On the weekends I might treat myself to a smaller portion of sugary cereal, but this doesn't keep me full very long.
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    450 on average. My typical breakfast is Greek yogurt, frozen fruit of some kind, and protein granola. Plus coffee.
  • gia_incognito
    gia_incognito Posts: 103 Member

I usually swap between shredded wheat and milk, or porridge made with half milk half water. I find keeping to whole grains in the morning keeps me full until lunchtime.

On the weekends I might treat myself to a smaller portion of sugary cereal, but this doesn't keep me full very long.

1200 is my cal goal too. So I should be eating a bit more for breakfast...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member

1200 is my cal goal too. So I should be eating a bit more for breakfast...

Why? Food timing is completely irrelevant for weight loss, except insofar as it affects your satiation, or your compliance with a reasonable calorie deficit, and both of those factors are completely personal and individual.
  • Ninkasi
    Ninkasi Posts: 173 Member
    300 - 350 calories. It's a little less than a quarter of my allotment. My breakfasts are all the same, choose 2: oatmeal with 1 t. brown sugar, fruit (berries or mangoes), yogurt, a hard-boiled egg. Plus 16 oz. of coffee with 100 grams of milk. I'd like to ditch the milk but I don't like black coffee and none of the milk substitutes I've tried are as good as real milk. So...the milk stays.