Extremely hot temperatures and working out

Our recent temperatures have reached above 105 degrees farenheit. I work out at a gym but have been less motivated due to the extreme heat lately (yes, even though It's inside). Have any of you come up with creative solutions to working out during the extreme hot temperatures aside from the obvious indoor gyms and swimming?

Replies

• williamwj2017
    williamwj2017 Posts: 79 Member
    Work out at home using YouTube videos.

Dont use the weather as an excuse as to why you cant get exercise in. Motivation is a feeling that comes and goes, it's not what pushes people to get into shape. If you want to workout outside, do it at night when it begins to cool down or early in the morning. No excuses.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    I just make sure to stay hydrated, up my sodium a bit, and work out before the brutal Texas sun comes out.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    edited July 2018
    Currently, all I do is row on my C2 rower in the comfort of my air conditioned home. Spend a hr on it everyday, which burns 550 cals/day which I can do anytime 24/7.

Have a full gym setup in my garage but am taking a hiatus from lifting, which just coincidentally is occuring during the heat of the summer.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    edited July 2018
    Yes it IS hot in Texas right now. I had to join a gym about 6 weeks ago. If you can get to the Austin downtown YMCA it is an awesome and cheap gym. My son and daughter in law used while poor grad students. It may have sliding scale prices for them to afford it, but top notch and right by the town lake park system.

They have lots of programs for wee ones too
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I workout right after I get up in the morning, in my little room with a window AC unit(we don't have central air) and ceiling fan. I have lots of DVDs and workouts downloaded from YouTube. I just pick one and get going. I also have a treadmill if I want to watch TV and walk. Then, there's the public pool in town that I can pay $2 for 30 min lap swim tues-fri. I try to go twice per week.
    Are you just having trouble finding workouts you like at home? Some of my favorites are from the Firm and Beachbody (like Turbo Jam and TurboFire).
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    I workout indoors during the summer desert heat (we're usually over 100F every day from mid-May until mid-October). Fortunately, my gym has air conditioning, so I don't care how hot it is outside.
  • maryadavies4667
    maryadavies4667 Posts: 58 Member
    edited July 2018
    This is one of my bugaboos. Me, I try to carry water with me when I go out in the afternoon for walks (Can't survive in this muggy GA heat without it) and try to either go out early or late. Also make sure you know the symptoms of heat stroke just in case.

And yeah, if you MUST work out in the heat, keep going out and doing it every day; just tough it out. From everything I've read, you'll adjust in a week.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    I walk more than run when it's hot, and make myself stop at every drinking fountain. I also do more body weight exercises inside in the air conditioning to compensate.
  • rose2_0
    rose2_0 Posts: 150 Member
    I go in the fitness room when there aren't any classes and take my shirt off. I keep the lights kind of low. I'm a chunker but there's something liberating about being in shorts and a sports bra. I just accept I'm going to be a sweaty mess.
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Late night runs - tends to be cooler at that time of the day. Same principle for early morning workouts.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    There are no secret solutions.
    You can dump water on your head if you are out for a run and there is a place to do it.
    You can choose to be outside during the cooler parts of the day.
    Or you can stay in an air-conditioned gym until late September.
    Or only swim.
    The main thing, however, is to watch your electrolytes. Especially if you do something like run long distances, three or more times a week, in the summer, it is easy to get depleted when you sweat a lot, particularly because the loss of those electrolytes becomes cumulative over the days and weeks.
    Sodium and chloride are usually pretty easy to replenish because we have so much salt in our diet. But potassium and calcium are not so easy. Neither are magnesium (and zinc).
    Maybe consider tablets, if you do a lot outside.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Electrolytes, sodium, and the understanding my rest periods may be longer and the usual weight might be lower.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I have no issue working out in the air conditioned gym in the heat. The heat does put a damper on my cycling in that I typically have to just do less mileage and my performance isn't as good when it's 100* +.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    The heat doesn't have any affect on my indoor workouts (weight lifting, yoga) but for my runs I just wait until 8pm or so when the sun starts to go down. It's usually still around 90 degrees F but at least the sun isn't beating down on me which makes a huge difference.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    I'm so grateful that swimming is my primary activity right now...
    As for running, it's early before work, or not at all.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Road bike. Go real fast, it's the same as having a nice, cooling breeze. When I stop at a red light, it's sweltering, and I start sweating profusely, then the light turns and I can go again, and find relief.

Like @cwolfman13 above, I can't put out as much power in the hot. But I can cool down some.

Nuun tabs are great. But so is milk, it's surprisingly good at rehydrating you.

Final note, remember that you have a shower and clean clothes.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Our recent temperatures have reached above 105 degrees farenheit. I work out at a gym but have been less motivated due to the extreme heat lately (yes, even though It's inside). Have any of you come up with creative solutions to working out during the extreme hot temperatures aside from the obvious indoor gyms and swimming?

You either want to go to the gym to work out or you don't. Don't blame the weather. It's all on you. Work out in the gym when it's hot, slow everything down when it's hot and you're working out out side, or go for a swim. The choice is yours. It always was. "It's too hot', It's too muggy", "I'm not feeling right today", "there just isn't enough time". The excuses can run to infinity. There is only one to do the work. You want to.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    hroderick wrote: »
    Yes it IS hot in Texas right now. I had to join a gym about 6 weeks ago. If you can get to the Austin downtown YMCA it is an awesome and cheap gym. My son and daughter in law used while poor grad students. It may have sliding scale prices for them to afford it, but top notch and right by the town lake park system.

They have lots of programs for wee ones too

This! I have been there and it is awesome for those who live close by!