How many calories for breakfast?

Replies

• DragonHasTheSapphire
    DragonHasTheSapphire Posts: 184 Member
    I usually have 550-700 calories for breakfast, I load up on carbs because I do my workouts in the morning.
  • rose2_0
    rose2_0 Posts: 150 Member
    I have a much easier time losing and maintaining if I fast until 11 or 12 (I get up at 5 or 6am). My coffee has about 100 calories in it. I'd be really disappointed in the evening if I didn't have those 400 calories to play with.
  • gia_incognito
    gia_incognito Posts: 103 Member
    Ok so this morning I had about 500 cals for breakfast and was still starving and had to have a snack at 11am. Now I just have fewer calories I can have in the evening, sadness. I think I'm going to go back to 200 cals for breakfast and save up for the afternoon/evening.

• gia_incognito
    rose2_0 wrote: »
    I have a much easier time losing and maintaining if I fast until 11 or 12 (I get up at 5 or 6am). My coffee has about 100 calories in it. I'd be really disappointed in the evening if I didn't have those 400 calories to play with.

Yes, I'm now sad that I wasted so many calories on breakfast!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    Ok so this morning I had about 500 cals for breakfast and was still starving and had to have a snack at 11am. Now I just have fewer calories I can have in the evening, sadness. I think I'm going to go back to 200 cals for breakfast and save up for the afternoon/evening.

Or, you could chose a less aggressive rate of loss that would allow you to have more calories. Unless you are very very short and practically bedridden, 1200 calories is lower than you need to go.

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    280 - steel cut oats, raspberries and milk for my coffee.
    I do have a snack mid-morning as it's a long way to lunch and I work out. Usually a cheese string. or something along those lines.

Current total daily cals for loss: 1300
  • gia_incognito
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Or, you could chose a less aggressive rate of loss that would allow you to have more calories. Unless you are very very short and practically bedridden, 1200 calories is lower than you need to go.

Thanks for the link! So what do you think is a good calorie limit for a 5'7" female?

I've been sticking to about 1400 on average and haven't really lost much but water weight.
  • gia_incognito
    Just to clarify, I have 1400 on average bc I eat back what I exercise.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Thanks for the link! So what do you think is a good calorie limit for a 5'7" female?

I've been sticking to about 1400 on average and haven't really lost much but water weight.

How do you determine that you've only lost water weight?
  • gia_incognito

It's just a hunch bc I haven't been able to break 140. Only had a 5 lb loss. Which I'm guessing is just water weight.
  • jmr5681
    jmr5681 Posts: 24 Member
    Around 360 cals, 24 g protein.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    I usually eat around 350 calories on a normal day, cookies and milk. After a weekend if we have leftover breakfast it's biscuits and chocolate gravy, around 280 calories. I won't say no to ice cream for breakfast, or leftover dinner either.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

It's just a hunch bc I haven't been able to break 140. Only had a 5 lb loss. Which I'm guessing is just water weight.

How long have you been at it? 1,400 should be enough for most women to lose weight. If your timeline expectations are realistic, it may be that you're eating more than you think you are.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Zero
  • gia_incognito

How long have you been at it? 1,400 should be enough for most women to lose weight. If your timeline expectations are realistic, it may be that you're eating more than you think you are.

About 2-3 weeks. Not that long really, I know. >.<
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member

It may matter what you eat, for staying full/satiated. If whatever you ate this morning didn't stick with you, try something different.

Different foods satiate different people. For some, it's protein, for some it's high fiber/volume, for others it's fats. Some people get crave-y if they eat carbs, while others can't feel full without eating complex carbs.

Experiment to find out what works for you.

P.S. at 5'7", with only a few pounds to lose, you shouldn't be trying to lose 2 pounds a week, or even close. A pound a week, max, unless you enjoy taking health risks. Eat at least what MFP suggests for a 1 pound a week loss rate, plus at least half your exercise calories.

Even 0.5 pounds a week would be reasonable, if it's more achievable. A slow loss rate you can actually achieve will result in faster weight loss than a theoretically fast loss rate that you can't actually stick with consistently.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

at 5'7 and 140, you should expect your weight loss to be very slow. You're already at a normal weight and probably working on the last 10 pounds I suspect? It can take up to 2 months to see clear results through natural fluctuations, more so for normal weight women. In fact, you should be worried if you find yourself consistently losing fast enough to notice a significant weight change every week.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member

I would say for your stats (which are similar to mine) 1400 is close to your BMR. Now unless you are sedentary or don't exercise at all, it should be more in order to lose. If I ate that I would lose 2lbs per week or more. How are you tracking your intake?
  • gia_incognito
    sardelsa wrote: »

I would say for your stats (which are similar to mine) 1400 is close to your BMR. Now unless you are sedentary or don't exercise at all, it should be more in order to lose. If I ate that I would lose 2lbs per week or more. How are you tracking your intake?

I'm using MFP to track my calories. Usually just scan the item. I haven't gotten to the point of weighing food yet. And if I'm not sure on the calories I round up.
  • gia_incognito

at 5'7 and 140, you should expect your weight loss to be very slow. You're already at a normal weight and probably working on the last 10 pounds I suspect? It can take up to 2 months to see clear results through natural fluctuations, more so for normal weight women. In fact, you should be worried if you find yourself consistently losing fast enough to notice a significant weight change every week.

Yup, the last 10 pounds basically. Seems to be taking forever. I think I will go up a little in calories tho and see if that doesn't help.