Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Thoughts on bikini competitors?

Replies

• Mandylou19912014
    Mandylou19912014 Posts: 208 Member
    Hey everyone! I have been asked recently by a bunch by prep coaches in the gym if I would consider competing in a bikini comp. lately I have been seriously considering it because of my hard work and dedication in the gym as well as diet. I have heard bad rumors about it and don’t know if it would be healthy, or what my macros/calories would have to be. Any insight would be great! Thank youu

I think you should absolutely go for it! You have an amazing body and all the hard work will really pay off once you’ve done it. It’s something I’d love to do one day too. You’ll smash it I’m sure! Good luck girl!!! X
  • Mandylou19912014
    Mandylou19912014 Posts: 208 Member
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    If it requires that you pay for entry or for coaching to prep for a contest...beware a scam. This isn't too dissimilar from those people who used to grab teens at the mall in the 80's and tell them that they have a future in modeling in order to get them to sign up with their 'agency' and pay for head shots.

That said, if your head is on straight and you know that it won't make you develop any body/eating/exercise issues, etc. then go for it. Might be fun.

You always have to pay for entry. Every stage competitor I know has a coach as well. But yeah, I'd definitely look into it more and likely talk to some of the people being coached by these coaches and go to some shows before I committed to anything.

So you have to pay for entry for a bunch of people to look at you half naked...? Yikes!

It’s not a sexual show, it’s where people who’ve worked so hard get to show off their achievements in front of like minded people
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited July 2018
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    If it requires that you pay for entry or for coaching to prep for a contest...beware a scam. This isn't too dissimilar from those people who used to grab teens at the mall in the 80's and tell them that they have a future in modeling in order to get them to sign up with their 'agency' and pay for head shots.

That said, if your head is on straight and you know that it won't make you develop any body/eating/exercise issues, etc. then go for it. Might be fun.

You always have to pay for entry. Every stage competitor I know has a coach as well. But yeah, I'd definitely look into it more and likely talk to some of the people being coached by these coaches and go to some shows before I committed to anything.

So you have to pay for entry for a bunch of people to look at you half naked...? Yikes!

Yeah, this was my first thought. I guess you'd have to have an exhibitionist type personality to want to do this. To me body building, bikini comps etc just translate to " Look at me, Look at me".

I'm, definitely not an exhibitionist and many of the people I know through competing aren't either.

What I have started to question is why competitors feel the need to be put on a completely subjective platform (having sacrificed a lot and paid for privilege) to be told that, in the eyes of those particular judges at that particular moment, their body is or isn't as good as the person next to them. Who really cares, and why is it important?

I agree completely with this. Same with bodybuilding competitions for men, and beauty contests.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    I dunno, I'm probably in no position to comment, but I'm going to anyway.

Is there a dark side to bikini comp? Yep. Do you have to go over to it? Nope.
    Is it expensive? It can be. Is that any different than other competitive sports? Nope.
    Should you do it? Not a single one of us can, or should, say.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Dear Posters,

Please make sure to be respectful in your posts, specifically remember Guideline 4. Show Respect to All Groups and Individuals - whether they partake in a specific sport, or are members of one gender or another.

Thanks for your cooperation,
    4legs
    MFP moderator
  • rose2_0
    rose2_0 Posts: 150 Member
    I've never done a bikini comp. I follow the body building world a bit and train myself. I once got very lean and it screwed with my head so I can't imagine getting there for competition.

While I was cutting to that extent I lost my period (this doesn't bother me) and my libido (that did). I was not a great friend and didn't even realize how crappy I was in my relationships until I reflected upon it later. Every single social outing stressed me out beyond belief. I always had a bag of peppers in my purse so I could snack if friends were ordering food and I was hungry.

Once I was lean. I didn't even see it. I thought I was fat and wasn't much happier than when I WAS fat. I cried in a Victoria's Secret changing room because the bras looked terrible on my completely shrunken breasts and bony upper body.

Looking back, I see I was slim. But now, every stage in my physique I compare to that level of leanness, and it's as if everything else is fat.

So I can't imagine the prep. And just the screwed up body image I would have while gaining weight back.

Anyway. I think the sport works for some people. Even after sharing the above, I am not against bikini/bodybuilding comps.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    @HayleeRenaeFit - so, has all of this talk (which ended about one week ago...) helped you? One way or another? I remembered this post and am curious (not that it is any of my business) what you have decided (and if you do not want to share - all good!). I would be interested in how this helped.....
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    @LiftHeavyThings27105 thank you for your interest! This forum definitely has helped, and I decided not to do it. This is because I want to enjoy the foods I want to without creating a bad relationship...aside from that, I have been trying to prep for a few weeks on my own to see how it would go. Truth is, I am tired 24/7 and not in the best mood (and I’m not even restricting too many calories), i train 6 days a week so my body is used to a lot of food and energy...so as for right now I don’t think it is for me.

Well, good for you @HayleeRenaeFit ! Ultimately, it is your choice and your body (and, your sanity!).

Very wise of you to recognize the potential for bad and to decide for enjoyment and "positive" health instead. Being tired and hangry sucks big time. Well done, young lady!