Keto diet

I’m really interested in trying it. Does anyone who has tried it think they have lost more weight by cutting out carbs than calorie counting alone?

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    There is a water weight difference initially, but I believe the average weight loss comes out to be the same in the long run.

I think what makes it "more weight loss" for some people is that the keto diet is a better choice for their personal needs, making it easier to stick to (and therefore more effective in the long term) than calorie counting alone.

If you want to talk to people who are on keto diets, or more info about the diet itself, here are some good places to start:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    It is working well for me but I am in the very early stages of it and not yet throwing ketones. If I quit drinking alcohol I might. But it is one step at a time.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2018
    I do not lose well with moderation. To be honest, I tend to gain weight. If I try to restrict foods to just a bit, I tend to want more and feel deprived. If I do not eat my problem foods (macro really) then I don't have the same feeling if deprivation nor do I have the physical cravings and blood glucose swings that lead to eating too much.

Some people find keto restrictive. They sometimes can't imagine why it would work for some people, but a meta ananylis shows that keto is just as effective for weight loss as any diet is when calories are controlled. If you are one who experiences the appetite suppressing effects of low carb, it could lead to even better or easier weight loss. Plus, It appears that some with insulin resistance tend to lose a bit better when they eat a diet that regulates and lowers their blood glucose, it's only a difference of a few pounds.

To lose weight you need to restrict calories somewhere. Some choose to restrict a little bit of everything, others find more success with just restricting carbs.

I lost my 40 lbs (using keto) a bit faster than I expected. I ate an average of 1500 kcal a day, food weighed and measured. I am 5'8" and mainly inactive; I started walking 30-60 minutes a day after losing 30 lbs. I lost 2-3 lbs a week, which would suggest a calorie deficit of 7000 to 10500 kcal a week, or a 1000 to 1500 kcal deficit a day. When I weigh 145-155, my maintenance appears to be 2000-2500 kcal a day so for me, there appears to be a bit of "magic" in there.

My experience is not had by everyone though. I do have IR, and autoimmune diseases where inflammation (which can be caused by carbs) tends to lead to weight gain. And it did. I ate around maintenance and was fine for a year. Then I increased carbs, calories went up a bit, and regained some of my weight rather quickly. This was at just low carb, to occasional moderate, levels.

This summer I went back to very low carbs, close to zero, and started losing weight again without really trying. I eat when hungry. I don't log but I must be in a calorie deficit again because I am losing a pound a week. High or moderate carbs just doesn't work for me.

CI < CO for weight loss. That's a truth. I don't think the presence of ketones increases fat loss at all, but I do think ketones help with some health issues as well as increase a person's metabolic flexibility. For me, keto lowers CI and tends to raise CO a bit. It's a win win situation for me.YMMV
  • rachelarosenfeld
    rachelarosenfeld Posts: 5 Member
    Are you interested in keto becaused of the alleged "extra" weightloss, or because you naturally prefer foods high in fat over carby foods?

I guess I’m interested in Keto because I’ve just had a hard time sticking to calorie restrictive diets

So you're going to try a calorie restrictive diet with extra restrictions?

I’ve heard you should feel more satisfied on this diet than a normal calorie restricted one...
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Are you interested in keto becaused of the alleged "extra" weightloss, or because you naturally prefer foods high in fat over carby foods?

I guess I’m interested in Keto because I’ve just had a hard time sticking to calorie restrictive diets

I’ve heard you should feel more satisfied on this diet than a normal calorie restricted one...

I do. It's a personal thing.

TBH, I could eat nothing and feel less of a drive to eat than if I had a bowl of rice, or a plate of pasta, or a big handful of raisins on top of a maintenance calorie day.
    YMMV
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

It's all going to depend on what types of food you find filling. Some people find fat really satiating and can't eat much volume of high fat foods, so keto or other LCHF diets will work really well for them. Others (like me) don't find fat filling and can easily overeat that food, so do better on a different plan.

No harm in trying it if you want and see how it goes. If keto is too difficult, you can always try a more moderate low carb setup as well. You just need to find the mix that works for you, and understand nothing is going to work overnight, always keep the long view in mind. Good luck!
  • onemanpeloton
    onemanpeloton Posts: 58 Member
    Give it a try. I find fat a lot more satiating and I think thats what makes keto appealing to people who've struggled with diets before. I'd still recommend tracking your food despite some claims that you wont need to.

When I was eating a high carb diet, I used to finish a huge meal of pasta and still be hungry. Or an hour after my meal I was hungrier than I was before I ate.

Now im on low carb high fat and it satisfies me enough that I can comfortably do 16/8 intermittent fasting
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Give it a try. I find fat a lot more satiating and I think thats what makes keto appealing to people who've struggled with diets before. I'd still recommend tracking your food despite some claims that you wont need to.

When I was eating a high carb diet, I used to finish a huge meal of pasta and still be hungry. Or an hour after my meal I was hungrier than I was before I ate.

Now im on low carb high fat and it satisfies me enough that I can comfortably do 16/8 intermittent fasting

Agreed! But, everyone is different!! :-)

The great thing is.....if you do not know, then you don't know that there are other options out there. I am a fan of trying new things....I like to know how things work and I like to know how things work for me. I love eating the Keto way. But, as I have mentioned often, that is me. YMMV!

I bet, @onemanpeloton, that Keto really helps you with your endurance sport!
  • pltjess
    pltjess Posts: 101 Member
    Keto still requires restricting calories. I've been on it long term with great success, but it's still CICO. It works for me because it helps with satiety, and now that I've been doing it for a while, my cravings for things like sugary treats have completely diminished. It's not a magic diet, it still takes dedication, but it works for me and I love it.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    pltjess wrote: »
    Keto still requires restricting calories. I've been on it long term with great success, but it's still CICO. It works for me because it helps with satiety, and now that I've been doing it for a while, my cravings for things like sugary treats have completely diminished. It's not a magic diet, it still takes dedication, but it works for me and I love it.

AMEN!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

Just keep in mind that keto only works in a calorie restriction...it's not magic. You'll still be doing a calorie restrictive diet.

This is very individual...many people find fat satiating...many don't. This is just one of those thing you have to try to see if it will work for you and is complimentary to the way you like to eat.
  • Chillybean18
    Chillybean18 Posts: 2 Member
    Hey guys! I have to say Keto I don’t think is for everyone especially if you have a harder time processing carbs. I am doing keto or at least the closest I can. I try to stay under 25g of carbs or when I can 15g. Many fitness speakers I follow swear by it especially women. So well it has worked great for me we will just see how well the progress carries on.