HOW a body knows its the next day of new calories eaten

13»

Replies

• kpsyche
    kpsyche Posts: 345 Member
    VUA21 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I am almost lost as how to ask this ? properly but I will try my best to put forth what I need an understanding of:

Ok, for EXAMPLE:
    Say I reached a total of 1500 calories by 7pm and decided I am not gonna eat ne more cals until the next day.
    So, my ? is when is the next day to the BODY? does it automatically know ok around mid-night or 5am is the so called NEXT DAY?
    To then start fresh again on calorie intake?
    Or what if I ate 1500 for my day then fell asleep for 4 hours as a nap during mid day or sumthing.
    Since the body burns calories when you sleep. Would I once again be under 1500 calories?
    BASICALLY WHEN AND HOW LONG DOES THE BODY KNOW WHEN ITS THE NEXT DAY TO START OVER FRESH TO TAKE IN THE NEW CALORIES FOR THE DAY STARTING FROM 1 CALORIE TO WHATEVER THE ENDING CALORIE GOAL IS PER DAY?

DOES NE ONE KNO? :)

It doesn't. Your body does not look at calories in/out on a daily basis - its a continuous cycle.
    THiS. For some reason people have this idea that metabolism stops when we go to sleep. There's a reason why you weigh less in the morning (if you sleep at night). Metabolism still runs the same whether you sleep or are awake.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Interestingly enough, it's a lot (mostly) of sweat. Found that out in advanced human physiology during a research project. Also why you should change sheets and pillow cases out at least twice a week.

Twice a week? Is once every 2 or 3 months ok?
  • lopezityler68
    lopezityler68 Posts: 2 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I know this is old but I will still post my thoughts. Your body doesn't know. Your always burning calories "Sleeping or awake" Its how you eat over a period of time that determines if you will lose or gain. That's why one day of overeating will not have any major effect on your weight. It will go up on the scale but no long term effects would take place. Do it over and over then you can expect a change. I track by the week. Tracking this way gives me flexibility. If you want to try just multiply your daily goal by 7 to get your weekly total. But ya your body does not know day vs night.

It was over 6 years ago, hopefully they've figured it out by now.

That's why I said at 1st. I knew this is old.
  • jasondjulian
    jasondjulian Posts: 182 Member
    AnnMystery wrote: »
    I'm struggling to balance my life out as well.....I'm diabetic, and it went undiagnosed while I gained a bunch from high stress (4 elderly in family passing in a short 4 year period, then the grieving process, while I cared for them & 4 kids & husband who I ended up seperated from for 2 years after that) and I got little sleep, while eating all the wrong foods like coke-a-cola & sweet chocolate (a lot of emotional cravings, and trying to energy binge). :-( Now I have a terrible problem to deal with. I'm supposed to eat every 3 hours. But my sleep cycle is still a bit off. I now care for a 93 year old lady 2 nights a week. I have to be awake these nights which throws off my other nights. I can't stay awake the day after I watch her, so because I sleep during the day those days, I can't quite go to bed on time those nights. I'm trying to figure out how to get 8 hours of sleep which diabetes requires for healing & weight loss requires, and maintain the 3 hour diet. Some say 4 hours, but some suggested 3 hours is better for losing weight. On a perfect day if I eat breakfast at 6am snack at 9am lunch at 12pm snack at 3pm and Sup at 6pm. I could say another snack would be at 9pm but that is too close to bed for my taste. In fact since my husband gets up at 5am causing me to as well, my bed time needs to be 8:30... In a perfectly scheduled world. So My calorie load would obviously be in the day schedule. There is about 10 hormones or more maybe that affect weight loss. Several of these hormones are affected by quality of sleep, and stress. I notice the negative affect losing sleep is doing to me. Some of these hormones cause increase in appetite, or decrease depending on your sleep quality. They also effect what kind of calories you crave. Losing sleep literally increases stress which affects other hormones, and causes carb cravings. It is driving me crazy trying to lose weight, because I know how to in a perfect world... with diabetes I need that perfect world, ... but I'm not living in that perfect world. Even on good nights my 19 year old has a way of waking the house at 1:30am, or the dogs decide they have to go to the bathroom at 4:30 am.... just early enough that I can't get back to sleep and I lose an hour. What is the automatic response to low energy due to lack of sleep? Try to get energy out of food. :-( I think calorie cycling is a good idea because it helps you focus on small goals. A few days of strict diet a day to losen up a bit... but if you can't establish a decent schedule, then maybe creating 200 calorie mini-meals and allowing nothing else might work. That would be 6 mini-meals for a 1200 calorie daily diet. Start counting after your sleep schedule and end the count when sleep begins. If you are like me set an hour to help you count. My count starts at 6 am. That helps me avoid eating at 4:30 when the dog wakes me. If I absolutely have to do something I drink a cup 8oz of unsweet almond milk (35 calories) 1g good carbs no sugar-canceled out by 1g fiber anyway, and 2.5 gram good fats (poly and mono), and 1g protein. It tastes like regular milk to me. If you are counting fat grams instead of calories it may not be the best choice for you. If your schedule ends up like mine though... good luck. I do great for a couple weeks then I'm too tired, or I eat from emotions... & chose the wrong foods of course. Exercise helps stress, but when really stressed... it's pretty hard to unwind my brain enough to go for that leasure walk, or do yoga & I'm not in the mood for the more energy so intense work out seems wrong. But any of it does help. & that helps me sleep when stress tries to stop it. Also exercise lowers my blood sugar if it goes up. But I'm still trying to figure most of it out too. Mostly it's being consistently self disciplined and not allowing excuses. I can lose a good 25 pounds, then gain it right back by not doing anything right for a couple months. And no I really don't have a support system at all. That fact is usually what triggers the months I slow down. I love to exercise... just about any kind of exercise, but I don't have a regular exercise partener, and that would help. I have classes I attend now, because that forces me to keep closer to a schedule. My gym membership includes the classes. I do tai chi and yoga at the least every weekend. Those are light enough that I can force myself through them on little sleep, and they help me relax and destress. Then I try to walk everywhere I can. my record so far is 5 miles slow walking in one day. We window shopped. I can't say I never sat down, my feet & back... oh no, but the distance was 5 miles. I'm faster now. I did 4 miles the other day, and only stopped twice to sit down and rest. I get dropped off somewhere I like to go, like bowling, library, swimming pool, gym, the pier at the beach, or where ever, and after I do whatever, I walk home. That has helped tremendously. I do zumba or muscle toning classes when I can make it happen on my half hazard energy levels, But still the weight remains thus far. I know I eat more, when I'm more active, and I'm allowed to, to some degree, but with family food moods, tight budget, and my sleep recking my energy balance, I don't know how long this is going to take me to lose. I know I really must get on a schedule, and get control of my food choices & good calories. Hope I might have helped you some anyway.

I'm not sure what you said because a giant wall of letters just slammed through my monitor and broke my corneas.
  • Jams29
    Jams29 Posts: 108 Member
    Time is a human-constructed idea. Your body doesn't "think" in terms of how many hours in a day or days in a week. The calorie recommendations are based on patterns that we have discovered will eventually lead to weightloss. Assigning a limit per day or week just helps people conceptualize and plan. The truth is, as long as you consistently eat less calories than you are expending, over time you will lose weight. Hope this helps!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited July 2018
    I am almost lost as how to ask this ? properly but I will try my best to put forth what I need an understanding of:

Ok, for EXAMPLE:
    Say I reached a total of 1500 calories by 7pm and decided I am not gonna eat ne more cals until the next day.
    So, my ? is when is the next day to the BODY? does it automatically know ok around mid-night or 5am is the so called NEXT DAY?
    To then start fresh again on calorie intake?
    Or what if I ate 1500 for my day then fell asleep for 4 hours as a nap during mid day or sumthing.
    Since the body burns calories when you sleep. Would I once again be under 1500 calories?
    BASICALLY WHEN AND HOW LONG DOES THE BODY KNOW WHEN ITS THE NEXT DAY TO START OVER FRESH TO TAKE IN THE NEW CALORIES FOR THE DAY STARTING FROM 1 CALORIE TO WHATEVER THE ENDING CALORIE GOAL IS PER DAY?

DOES NE ONE KNO? :)

It doesn't...energy balance happens on a continuum.

Old post...
  • All1971
    All1971 Posts: 89 Member
    There's lots of research on how metabolism and circadian rhythms interact
    - here are just two.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3781773/
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5142605/
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    x3jyla5wit3e.png
  • kverenat
    kverenat Posts: 31 Member
    Dave198lbs wrote: »
    you can also look at a weeks worth of calories and not worry about it day to day. that way, if one day is 400 over you can spread the deficit to account for it over the other 6 days of that week

But just as your body doesn’t know when a 24 hour day cycle stops and starts it also doesn’t know how long a week is. The point is consistency. And it can take up to a week to see results which is why people get so frustrated when think they had a “good” week and don’t lose anything, then next week have a “bad” week and lose.