Diabetes

Rosanne922
Rosanne922 Posts: 1 Member
Hi
I've had type 2 diabetis for 5 years I'm on meds and insulin

Replies

• AnitaKundu
    AnitaKundu Posts: 73 Member
    Hi Rosanne, T2 here as well, no meds, just diet and exercise. I will add you if you don't mind.
  • tammyfranks2
    tammyfranks2 Posts: 290 Member
    Hi Rosanne I am tammy , been type 2 for around 10 years , was on lantus shots , I am totally off that , but i do take metformin 2 x a day ..... i need to lose 200 pounds , I have lost 50 so far , I do low carb , and also do the no eating after 8 pm and don't eat breakfast til 10 am . add me if ya want . You can get off the meds . you can do this , if I can anyone can . I went from a A1c of 9.2 to now 6.1 in 6 months . Good Luck !!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Hey, hey!

I have high A1C and am following Keto. I really enjoy that way of eating. It might not be for everyone (as Carbs are very low....so, yes - Keto is very restrictive) but it seems to work for me.

How is your nutrition? Do you do any resistance training? Have you explored - and very general comment | question here - any low carb way of eating? Have you discussed this with your doctor? For some (I will not say "most" or *lots") a low carb way of eating can have benefits.

And, to be clear, I am not bashing carbs! OMG, not even the case with me. I love carbs. I just seem to do much better when I reduce my carb intake. Might be something to discuss | explore.

Potentially several other ideas (some of which have already been mentioned) that might be of interest for you, but let's cover one thing at a time.

Ultimately, it is going to be all about what works for you and what you can do consistently. If you try low carb | keto and hate it then that will not be something that you can sustain...….
  • longkathleenann9291
    longkathleenann9291 Posts: 110 Member
    Hi All!

Just starts with this app. My son has been using it for a while and is down 40 lbs so l thought I would give it a go! I was gestational diabetic with both my kids and hit T2 about 6 years ago. When I do low carb I feel much better but I can’t maintain it. I lost 14 lbs 6 months ago but nothing since. Even with that loss my A1C is down to 5.6 and I have reduced my meds. My goal is to lose about 50 lbs and get totally of the meds. I would like to add all as friends if that is OK

Kathleen
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Hi All!

Just starts with this app. My son has been using it for a while and is down 40 lbs so l thought I would give it a go! I was gestational diabetic with both my kids and hit T2 about 6 years ago. When I do low carb I feel much better but I can’t maintain it. I lost 14 lbs 6 months ago but nothing since. Even with that loss my A1C is down to 5.6 and I have reduced my meds. My goal is to lose about 50 lbs and get totally of the meds. I would like to add all as friends if that is OK

Kathleen

Kathleen! Welcome aboard MFP! Feel free to add me. I *never* send friend requests....at least, not yet! Great work with the A1C numbers....

Cary
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    rsclause wrote: »
    Rosanne922 wrote: »
    Hi

You may want to check out a documentary on Netflix called "The Magic Pill" I think you will find it very interesting. I am just starting LCHF.

I have not seen that myself, so I can not comment on it specifically.

However, many many many others in MFP have and generally speaking most call it rubbish. I am very active in Keto and love that way of eating *BUT* it is quite restrictive - as I have mentioned 1,000 times (in different posts). Everyone is different and what works for me may or may not work for you, and vice versa.

There is just so much crappola out there about Keto | Low Carb. It is really challenging to determine what is valid and what is rubbish. I investigated for about two months before I took the dive into the Keto way of eating. And, I am super glad that I did.

Anyway, I might just have to watch this "The Magic Pill" to see what it is all about. :-)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2018
    I highly recommend the book, DrBernstein's Diabetes Solution. It's a low carb plan designed to lower insulin needs and lower and steady BG. Great book.

If you like fasting, Fung's Obesity Code or Diabetes Code are about LCHF to keto diets with fasting included to further improve insulin resistance. Those books are both aimed at improving health and insulin resistance, and improved weight loss for those with insulin resistance.

Hi

You may want to check out a documentary on Netflix called "The Magic Pill" I think you will find it very interesting. I am just starting LCHF.

However, many many many others in MFP have and generally speaking most call it rubbish. I am very active in Keto and love that way of eating *BUT* it is quite restrictive - as I have mentioned 1,000 times (in different posts). Everyone is different and what works for me may or may not work for you, and vice versa.

There is just so much crappola out there about Keto | Low Carb. It is really challenging to determine what is valid and what is rubbish. I investigated for about two months before I took the dive into the Keto way of eating. And, I am super glad that I did.

Anyway, I might just have to watch this "The Magic Pill" to see what it is all about. :-)

I don't think the Magic Pill is rubbish, but it does have an agenda. It has a definite LCHF or keto slant to it, but they did show true experiences. There was nothing false in it as far as I can tell. It is worth watching if you want to see some of the health benefits of a ketogenic diet.

I do wish they had not included the woman who only used diet to treat her cancer. That was highly unusual and could be misleading. For the diabetics, they reduced their meds while eating low carb, and the same goes for the autistic and epileptic children. Smarter. Relying on diet alone to fix things is not always the best. JMO
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I highly recommend the book, DrBernstein's Diabetes Solution. It's a low carb plan designed to lower insulin needs and lower and steady BG. Great book.

If you like fasting, Fung's Obesity Code or Diabetes Code are about LCHF to keto diets with fasting included to further improve insulin resistance. Those books are both aimed at improving health and insulin resistance, and improved weight loss for those with insulin resistance.

Hi

I don't think the Magic Pill is rubbish, but it does have an agenda. It has a definite LCHF or keto slant to it, but they did show true experiences. There was nothing false in it as far as I can tell. It is worth watching if you want to see some of the health benefits of a ketogenic diet.

I do wish they had not included the woman who only used diet to treat her cancer. That was highly unusual and could be misleading. For the diabetics, they reduced their meds while eating low carb, and the same goes for the autistic and epileptic children. Smarter. Relying on diet alone to fix things is not always the best. JMO

I have not seen it. That is why I was so clear to state that I am repeating what others have said. :-)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    M
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Hi

I have not seen it. That is why I was so clear to state that I am repeating what others have said. :-)

Of course. :)
  • longkathleenann9291
    Question. How often does everyone weigh in? I range anywhere from weekly to daily.
  • shrutiibhardwaj
    shrutiibhardwaj Posts: 4 Member
    I was diagnosed with Diabetes mellitus in 2010 and my weight was 120 kgs then!! But then I realised that I am just ruining my body with my addictions! I started with swimming!! Today I am not at all on any meds just following my healthy lifestyle!even doctor is surprised that I reversed my diabetes!!! I should suggest you to read one book by an Indian author Rujuta diwarkar! She changed my life! Hope her writings may help you too!
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    Question. How often does everyone weigh in? I range anywhere from weekly to daily.

I weigh daily.
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,567 Member

I weight in weekly.
  • AnitaKundu
    AnitaKundu Posts: 73 Member
    I only weigh once a week. I personally don't think it's a good idea to weigh every day, nor do you need to to stay on track if you're logging all your food and exercise on here. But that's just my opinion
  • longkathleenann9291
    Hi All! Just checking in. I’m on day 3 and am loving MFP, it really has helped me keep my carb intake down. I’m hoping when I have my blood work done in January I can come off some more meds!
  • sfsoccermom2
    sfsoccermom2 Posts: 233 Member
    I was diagnosed in 2014 and did well for the first couple of months, lost 70 pounds. Then went right back to old habits, stopped testing and let it all go. My A1C in June went back up to 7.2, which is high for me. I'm back at it and taking it seriously now. Feel free to add me. I so need help as well. I have at least 100 pounds to lose but more important to me is getting my diabetes back under control for life!!!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    Type 2 is apparently caused by too much fat in liver and pancreas so losing some belly fat can reverse it. I was instructed to stop metformin a few years ago after losing some weight.
    https://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal/#publicinformation