160 lbs, moderate activity, how many calories?

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to research this, but how many calories should I be losing to lose an average of 1.5-2 lbs a week? I feel like 1200 is way too low. Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,193 MFP Moderator
    You might try to lose at a more modest rate. How tall are you and what is your goal weight? At 160 pounds, I can't imagine you have much to lose.
  • megfranklinp
    megfranklinp Posts: 8 Member
    Hi, I'm 5'5 and would like to be 140.
  • megfranklinp
    davis_em wrote: »
    You might try to lose at a more modest rate. How tall are you and what is your goal weight? At 160 pounds, I can't imagine you have much to lose.

5'5 and 140 lbs :smile:

• megfranklinp
    Well, that's my problem. I don't know how many calories I should eat... I heard that if you eat little you won't lose
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Well, that's my problem. I don't know how many calories I should eat... I heard that if you eat little you won't lose

That's not true. What did you set MFP to lose, 2 pounds per week? If so, just change it to one.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    What do you mean by moderately active?

MFP doesn't include exercise in their activity levels. But if you are using a TDEE method, it would.

1200 is too low. I'm the same height and was losing at 1800 (with exercise included). I don't think I've gone below 1400 when using MFP.
    Set your weight loss goal to no more than 1 lb a week.
  • thouser4241
    thouser4241 Posts: 9 Member
    edited August 2015
    I used another plan similar to MFP before and the lighter the weight the less caloric intake. It really didn't make sense to me. Per another website, To lose 1 lb. of fat each week, you must cut 500 calories each day through diet or exercise. A woman who usually consumes 2,300 calories per day and adds 100 calories worth of exercise each day would need to consume 1,900 calories to lose weight.
  • 3dogsrunning
    noway45 wrote: »
    I used another plan similar to MFP before and the lighter the weight the less caloric intake. It really didn't make sense to me. Per another website, To lose 1 lb. of fat each week, you must cut 500 calories each day through diet or exercise. A woman who usually consumes 2,300 calories per day and adds 100 calories worth of exercise each day would need to consume 1,900 calories to lose weight.

I'm not sure what you mean.
    Do you mean the less you weigh, the lower your calorie goal is? Because that is true in part. Smaller bodies require less energy to move throughout the day and during exercise.

I agree with your last part, if you happen to know how many calories you normally eat. Lots of people don't.
  • megfranklinp
    Thank you so much everyone!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    Op with 20 lbs to lose you should set your goal to lose 1 lb per week, that will give you more calories. Also you can eat back some of your exercise calories too.
  • ginavanhookglp
    ginavanhookglp Posts: 8 Member
    Hi everyone,

I'm trying to research this, but how many calories should I be losing to lose an average of 1.5-2 lbs a week? I feel like 1200 is way too low. Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Hi everyone,

Thanks

We are all different for many reasons. If you feel 1200 is way too low there is a reason you feel that way.

In my case being at 200 pounds I can lose about 3 pounds a month on average eating 2600 calories a day.

That however includes doing maintenance for a while after each 10-15 pound loss so that would be more like 6 pounds a month if I did not stop and maintain on my way down. Often without stopping to maintain on our own the body will do it for us. We often call it hitting a plateau when all it may be is the body protecting its health.
  • ginavanhookglp
    ginavanhookglp Posts: 8 Member
    I'm trying too...so far just the diet of 1200+ (-) calories isn't working successfully. So if u find out anymore trick s our like to know. I try to work out n do a little...but guess it's not enough....
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    1300-1600?
  • Afridi123
    Afridi123 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi everyone,

Thanks

• Afridi123
    Afridi123 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Thanks

• Afridi123
    Add lots of veggies like zucchini broccoli and chia seeds , flaxseed which are filling and low in calories and rich in fibers. Increase your physical activities but try not to increase your calories. Munch on fruits all day and don't allow yourself to get very hungry.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Afridi123 wrote: »
    Add lots of veggies like zucchini broccoli and chia seeds , flaxseed which are filling and low in calories and rich in fibers. Increase your physical activities but try not to increase your calories. Munch on fruits all day and don't allow yourself to get very hungry.

That's ridiculous. If 1200 is too low for her, adding physical activity and not increasing calories is even worse.
  • YelizavetaZ
    YelizavetaZ Posts: 3 Member
    check this out http://www.healthyweightforum.org/eng/calculators/calories-required/

I did send you a personalized message because I didn't scroll down to this yet, but these is pretty cool and it is something close to what my nutritionist uses.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    check this out http://www.healthyweightforum.org/eng/calculators/calories-required/

I did send you a personalized message because I didn't scroll down to this yet, but these is pretty cool and it is something close to what my nutritionist uses.

OP hasn't been here for 3 years. I doubt she'll read this or the PM.