Which OTC Sleep aids have worked best for you?

13»

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Oh my goodness, there’s an official blog post in my feed about CBD today. Maybe time for a review of policy across the service before you delete comments about subjects the platform itself blogs about.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Mod hat on:

Friendly reminder - We operate our guidelines based on federal law, where officially some substances are not legal yet. Some substances might be legal in one state but not another, so please refrain from suggesting potentially illegal substances to others.

/mod hat off

Member hat on:

If you are taking any medications or supplements at all, be sure to check with your doctor or pharmacist before self-medicating for insomnia (or for anything really). Even herbal remedies can interact with other medicines and herbs. ;)

@Alex Since Marijuana, also known as cannabis, has been approved for medical use in 29 states, as of April 2017, and is used to treat symptoms associated with diseases such as AIDS, cancer, and glaucoma isn't it ok to refer to it as long as one includes a disclaimer to check the legality in the particular jurisdiction?
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Mod hat on:

Friendly reminder - We operate our guidelines based on federal law, where officially some substances are not legal yet. Some substances might be legal in one state but not another, so please refrain from suggesting potentially illegal substances to others.

/mod hat off

Member hat on:

If you are taking any medications or supplements at all, be sure to check with your doctor or pharmacist before self-medicating for insomnia (or for anything really). Even herbal remedies can interact with other medicines and herbs. ;)

@Alex Since Marijuana, also known as cannabis, has been approved for medical use in 29 states, as of April 2017, and is used to treat symptoms associated with diseases such as AIDS, cancer, and glaucoma isn't it ok to refer to it as long as one includes a disclaimer to check the legality in the particular jurisdiction?

@kshama2001 Thanks for pinging me. No, its not okay to talk about marijuana use in our forums even though its legal in more than half the states and is an important drug in helping people manage a variety of major illnesses. For the time being marijuana remains a schedule 1 drug that is not legal in the USA.

I get this is limiting and understand people are wanting to discuss legitimate usage of pot and we do hope to not always have this restriction but for now we continue to request folks not discuss it in our forums.
  • C_Stretton
    C_Stretton Posts: 201 Member
    Mod hat on:

/mod hat off

Member hat on:

I said "if it's legal where you live."

Along those same lines, but legal everywhere in the States - you can even mail order it - I use a hemp-derived CBD infused honey that I originally found at our local Farmer's Market. In the fall and winter, I order it online. The ginger flavor in a cup of hot tea does the trick for me and helps with stomach issues. I don't want to turn this into a commercial or testimonial for it, but if you want more information, feel free to message me.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    I am on levo as well for hypo. I also noticed that all the hormonal problems/changes due to mid life I think were contributing to my overall anxiety and rumination. I couldn't sleep to save my life, and when I did, I woke up in panic and sweat! Yuck.

After rounds of testing, all my doctors concluded that I was going through early menopause. I was prescribed lexapro for my anxiety and hot flashes, and I started cognitive behavioral therapy to control my anxiety provoking thoughts. Now I can finally sleep and feel normal for the first time since I started this whole 'phase of life'.

Note, not advocating for prescription meds, I have always been against them. I got to the point I was miserable though, and finally did something about it.

Before all this, I used Tylenol PM, however it only worked briefly and I always woke up hung over.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Hi. I am unsure of how old the person who started this thread is but if she has a kid in college perhaps she is is nearing menopause. Insomnia can be a problem in and pre menopause. (Sorry if you are too young for this.)

I do agree with turning off screens at night except for maybe an ereader. Reading a book at bedtime helps me forget everything and relax. I find that outdoor physical activity helps me sleep better too.

I have not taken sleep aid in years but I do remember trying to carry on during the day with no sleep. I hope you get this sorted out.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Hi. I am unsure of how old the person who started this thread is but if she has a kid in college perhaps she is is nearing menopause. Insomnia can be a problem in and pre menopause. (Sorry if you are too young for this.)

I do agree with turning off screens at night except for maybe an ereader. Reading a book at bedtime helps me forget everything and relax. I find that outdoor physical activity helps me sleep better too.

I have not taken sleep aid in years but I do remember trying to carry on during the day with no sleep. I hope you get this sorted out.

Yup, 5-HTP, melatonin, and good sleep hygiene were all I needed until I turned 50ish, so likely am in peri-menopause.